WIP Modern Aintree GP Circuit

I've had a bit of a play about with BTB in the past but without any real success mainly due to getting bored by attempting to take on a too large a project or just not being satisfied with the results.

Anyway, doing a bit of random Googleing ( if that wasn't a word it is now), as you do, I got into the history of the old GP track at Aintree. While looking at satellite images of the area i noticed that the majority of the course was still visible and in fair condition, then I had a random though - I wounder what the track would be like today if the GP circuit was still used on a regular basis.Then I had another thought (I was on a roll here), I have BTB and Google Earth so why not make it so.

I never intended to make an exact replica of Aintree as its too much work and beyond my skills but more of my interpretation of a modern GP facility there. I will within the limits of my skills try to include recognizable features and structures like the very close wall along the Canal Straight, the existing horse racing grandstands (won't be the same structures but as near as i can get using what i can be found) and the roads at Anchor and Melling crossings.

aintree_zps1c3fe74b.jpg

As this is a semi-fictional circuit I have relocated the pit lane and start/finish from its original location in front of the main grandstands to the straight in between a sightly altered Cottage and County corners. I did this as i felt that its original location would interfere with the running of the horse racing circuit if the track was to be semi-permanent as planned. I have also modified Tatts Corner near the horse grandstands from one constant radius corner to a decreasing radius double apex as from what I can gather there is a new building of some description slap bang in the middle of the old corner.

These are a few shots of what I've manages so far.

mellingscrossing_zpsc347c1aa.jpg

Mellings Crossing

waterway_zps9d178b00.jpg

Waterways

canalstraight_zps7b0a3f89.jpg

Canal Straight

anchorcrossing_zps982dc02c.jpg

Anchor Crossing

Does anyone know where I can get FIA Melbourne type curbing with the astroturf behind it from? Preferable as a string object for both left and right side as all of the default BTB curbs look a bit naff to me.

Thanks, I found some interesting and useful stuff but non of them contain quite what I'm after.
I'm in need of a string of kerbing something like this.
curbing14.jpg

Why not use saw-tooth ripple from Xpack & use road section surfaces textured for the concrete & astro-turf?
As saw tooth is wedge shaped you could either lower 'back' of it in road surface to make flat ripples or you leave the under surface flat & bring outter textures up in height... ;)
There's also a texture in one of the base Xpacks that has ripples with drainage that (would look great as an S/Ob as well) can be used as a road surface but the texture needs to be set to rumble in materials & isn't actually have 3D bumps like the other S/Object ones....

Thanks for that Lee Knight, that's pretty much exactly what I had in mind.

I've made a bit more progress and the pit lane and start/finish is pretty much complete. I'll try to post some pics over the next few days.

Sorry everyone if progress seems to stall or things take a while, I haven't given up (well yet anyway) I'm determined this one will be completed to a good standard, it will just be slow due to being away at random times with work.

Good luck plato, it would be great to drive a modern version of this track, I appreciate the work involved, look forward to trying it :)

A few more screen shots as promised. Finally feel that I'm making some decent progress now.
GRAB_006_zps7b39203f.jpg

Start/Finish
GRAB_007_zpscf1f5ec3.jpg

Mellings Crossing

GRAB_008_zpse260e163.jpg

A new optional chicane I've added on the outside of the run down to Waterways and the Canal Straight as I felt for a modern circuit the lack of runoff along the concrete wall wouldn't have right. I plan on doing a version both with and without this chicane.

GRAB_005_zpsc64d531c.jpg

Last Corner

GRAB_010_zps6aae7520.jpg

Pit Lane

Hope you all like the shape things are taking so far. I hope to be releasing a beta in the next couple of weeks.

Sorry for the long delay but I just haven't had a lot of time recently. I've finally got around to releasing a WIP version of circuit, download from here http://www.mediafire.com/download/hum50q45qvijs9j/Aintree.7z

There are two versions of the circuit, one with the chicane on the back straight and one without. Now before people start getting picky I am aware that there are many issues, nuisances and things still to be done all of which are detailed in the read me file included in the download.
Extract both the National and GP circuit folders into your locations folder separately as for some reason I can't get both tracks to work when both grouped in one Aintree folder and as one venue/location.

Progress will be slow for the time being due to work commitments and technical issues but bare with me, it will get done eventually :)

I'm not 100% satisfied with the layout of the chicane on the GP version, I'm considering re-configuring it to be more of an overtaking spot, more like the final chicane at Spa or the first at Monza. Any suggestions on this would be welcome as I ideally want the circuit to race good as well as look good.

The layout is great, to start with.

Few things.
= Try to line up the curbstones with track a bit more.
= Walls are a very good tool to make good straights and corners. (they are visible in 2d/3d)
Build a corner and place a wall over the center axis of the track. Line up the nodes with the wall.

Corners like this one can be build more flowing.
corner.jpg

The track itself is a keeper!! I love the layout, fast and flowing. Did a 1.39 in a Tyrrell 009.

Sorry for leaving it such a long time but I regret to announce that due to a number of unforeseen events I am unable to make any further progress on Aintree. After moving house twice in the last 6 months, having a stolen laptop and as well as a failed hard drive in my desktop I have lost all the BTB project and source files. I'm afraid I simply do not have the time nor the will to try to reproduce what I did.

Thanks to those who help in the sort progress I made, couldn't have got as far as i did without it. I'll use this as a learning experience and my next project, should there be one, will actually get finished.

Thanks for that, I'll try to make some more progress when I get the time. I'll probable do a GTR2 version too as i've recently got a copy of it now

I know this is a long shot due to the age of this failed project but does anyone happen to still have the BTB project files lurking somewhere in the depths of their PC by any chance?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 217 14.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 216 14.4%