General Modding the driver - creating new helmet

Mr. Malarkey

Premium
Hello all -

I would like to make a change to the driver model, and I'm not sure how to go about doing it. I was hoping that someone here could help.

Specifically, I am trying to create a new 1950s-style helmet. I've been using the pudding helmet, but I think we deserve a better helmet for that era. But in doing some testing, I've found that when I convert the driver to .fbx, converting him back into .kn5 seems to break something. My new test driver will appear in the CM showroom by himself, but when I put him into a car he doesn't appear. And when I try to run him in-game, I get an error message and CM says that he didn't load.

Can anyone go over and/or provide a link to a step-by-step guide on how to mod the driver? I know it can be done, I just lack the knowledge and/or software to do it.

Thanks in advance!

(I am aware of how to change the skin, and I also know how to change drivers, I just don't know how to alter the model and save it as a workable .kn5.)

I've been trying to create a new driver, I set up the armature properly, exported to .kn5, checked in CM and I see the model, but when I try to load the model in-game, it just crashes
Weird! That's not something I ever encountered. Are you just changing the driver's head, or are you making changes to the entire driver?

All I did was try to change the helmet, and that took me forever to figure out. The key for me was just making sure that the different parts all followed the same heirarchy as the base driver model. And that the textures/materials were all applied correctly.

I am not an expert by any means. Barely a novice, actually. But if you want to PM me and attach your driver model, I might be able to see where the problem is, based on my limited experience. I am happy to try!

Last edited:
I've been trying to create a new driver, I set up the armature properly, exported to .kn5, checked in CM and I see the model, but when I try to load the model in-game, it just crashes
did you ever get it done? currently created a fresh model imported to cm shows up in the CM showroom but no driver when ive loaded into the game

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 213 14.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 215 14.4%