Modding personality traits

So I'm trying to make personality traits into something a little more realistic. Mainly by cutting out a lot of the pointless comedy things and tweaking length and impacts of the ones left behind.

Currently having CTD when creating new game with my modded list and not sure where to go from here. Deleting everything other than the first line in the personality traits.txt and putting that into the resources.assets file works as intended (it simply removes all traits from the game.) But doing the same by cutting all text from lines of traits I'm removing from the file gives the CTD. I tried leaving them blank, leaving just the trait number with commas remaining but same outcome. I compared my modded file to Red's modded file from his mod and there's no differences in the lines when comparing, so I guess it's not possible to just delete selected lines. Also some entries in length have x/x/xxxx rather than xweeks-xweeks, any idea what they suggest?

I'm pretty noob when it comes to this stuff so any help would be appreciated.

In drivers, the traits are permanent and given at the beginning of the game. Deleting them will not change the new traits being added during game.

The fact that he may want to delete say "old" personality trait but the Garuda drivers begin the game with "old" could well be causing a CTD though.

While the game will try to add new traits, it'll only try to add new traits from the list in personality traits.txt

I think you can remove traits impact but you can't change the game adding random traits. That would be game mechanic IMO.

The game will try and add random temp traits in specific days (I call it, trait day) but it randomly chooses it from the list in personality traits.

While I don't know how the game would cope if you set the probability of everything to 0 (making it so none of the traits fit the criteria), would the game give up and CTD, or will it say "no possible traits, don't assign any"

It could well be that in drivers.txt. the traits you're deleting are already used by the starting set of drivers.

Thought that might be the issue. Even removed all traits from all drivers in drivers.txt and still getting CTD with the Age < 16 values for unwanted traits. I tried using the drivers.txt file with all traits removed with the original traits file, loaded new game fine but one of my drivers had a trait and no drivers had a first name even though they are clearly there in the drivers.txt file and I only removed traits... this game is so backwards. :roflmao:

Edit- I missed deleting a couple traits from drivers.txt. Removing them in that file when using original traits file actually does remove all traits from a new game but still driver first names are missing for some reason. It even reshuffles teams pecking order from team select as the driver trait boosts don't affect the overall star rating now.

Last edited:
This completely explains why so many people are getting text string errors since 1.2. 1.2 has introduced about 15 new traits, each with their own new test string in personalitytraits.txt but they didn't update their frontend.txt.

Well, I said that.... and the devs said "Fix to unlocalised driver personality traits." in their latest patch...

Well they're right in that its fixed....

they've completely removed the new 15 traits that they added in 1.2 :D what we never knew didn't hurt us ;) sneaky sneaky

Do we know how many default drivers start with 'Old'? I found it bizarre that reaching age 30 is the trigger for this, and am moving it up to 38. I'm assuming I'll need to adjust the starting traits of the game-start drivers now?

Also, do we know where the email that you get from a driver when they get the 'Investment Portfolio' trait is stored? I'd like to expand on this avenue of random cash traits.

Last edited:
Do we know how many default drivers start with 'Old'? I found it bizarre that reaching age 30 is the trigger for this, and am moving it up to 38. I'm assuming I'll need to adjust the starting traits of the game-start drivers now?

Also, do we know where the email that you get from a driver when they get the 'Investment Portfolio' trait is stored? I'd like to expand on this avenue of random cash traits.

Both Jha and Beauchamp of Garuda are old... I assume Jenny North is too though have never checked, but she always retires after season 1 with the other two...

I had a look through Drivers.txt, gonna stick it in a spreadsheet and check for trait 35 (Old), and maybe see about swapping it out for something else or something.

Quite a few drivers have it, so I could possibly edit their DoB to be in-line with the trait (although I'm not sure what kind of other effects that has), or just remove it outright and replace it with some other -Overall trait.

Last edited:
I'm going to attempt putting a custom trait in tonight. Has anyone else tried this? Is there anything to keep an eye out for, other than ensuring I've put the entry into frontend.txt properly?

EDIT: It seems you don't have to worry about removing the names and descriptions of traits when you convert Personality Traits from txt, to csv, and back to txt, as the speech marks are retained. Only thing you need to be careful of is any traits that use ranges having dates in their place instead.

Last edited:
Update - many crashes later, I have managed to get some custom traits in game, just going to sort out the frontend stuff, then I should be good to go. I will then try an experimental trait that relies on driver stats being below a certain level, which should open up a new avenue for traits as a whole.

EDIT: I now have one of my custom traits in game (as a test, I planted it on Evans and started a new game), and there it was, working.

Attachments

• 20170203231226_1.jpg
    20170203231226_1.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
Update - many crashes later, I have managed to get some custom traits in game, just going to sort out the frontend stuff, then I should be good to go. I will then try an experimental trait that relies on driver stats being below a certain level, which should open up a new avenue for traits as a whole.

EDIT: I now have one of my custom traits in game (as a test, I planted it on Evans and started a new game), and there it was, working.

Nice job! Any chance you've discovered a way to remove traits? I'm still yet to find a way to remove individual traits without CTD when starting a new game but removing all traits works as it should. :thumbsdown:

Nice job! Any chance you've discovered a way to remove traits? I'm still yet to find a way to remove individual traits without CTD when starting a new game but removing all traits works as it should. :thumbsdown:

I couldn't see if you tried this, but could you just remove the effects of the traits you don't like? ie put everything to 0 or " " That way the traits are still there so shouldn't CTD, they just don't mean anything.

Awesome work BrianUK!

As Coops said, have you tried removing the effects? Alternatively, you could add an age requirement to any temp traits that most drivers are unlikely to reach, say "Age > 40". Further, although I've not tried it myself, you could set probability to 0 and see how that plays out. But remember, changes to traits will require a new game as they are baked into the save.

Just finished the frontend stuff for my new permanent traits, a couple of examples are below! Other than a couple of opposite adjustments like preventing Sponsor Ad appearing if they have Boring, I'm on track. Only got my experimental traits to go. I also spotted a quantity of cut traits, which I am going to look at bringing back, all they need are Personality Trait entries and some stat changes, so they should be easy. Unfortunately some of them seem to be about stats that were also cut, so I might not bring them all back.

Attachments

• 20170204100405_1.jpg
    20170204100405_1.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 325
  • 20170204100407_1.jpg
    20170204100407_1.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 294
  • 20170204100409_1.jpg
    20170204100409_1.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
As Coops said, have you tried removing the effects? Alternatively, you could add an age requirement to any temp traits that most drivers are unlikely to reach, say "Age > 40". Further, although I've not tried it myself, you could set probability to 0 and see how that plays out. But remember, changes to traits will require a new game as they are baked into the save.

Yeah, I tried the age > 40 and probabilities to 0 and both same crash result. It's probably a problem with drivers already being assigned traits that I'm removing at the start of the game, but even with removing all traits from drivers in the drivers file it's still crashing so I dunno. More trouble than it's worth at this point.

Yeah, I tried the age > 40 and probabilities to 0 and both same crash result. It's probably a problem with drivers already being assigned traits that I'm removing at the start of the game, but even with removing all traits from drivers in the drivers file it's still crashing so I dunno. More trouble than it's worth at this point.

I've set Old to >38, and I've had no crashes. Have you been converting the txt to csv and back again? I had crashing when I did this, but since I've only edited in Notepad++ I've had no crashes at all.

I was converting in the beginning, for some reason that kept shuffling around the " in the description, adding and removing them, but since been doing directly to the txt file and still crashing. Maybe 16 and 40 were too too extreme a value so that caused a problem, I'll try 38 though. There has to be a way to do this but it's just so precise to what you can actually change and get away with. Like deleting the entire trait txt file works fine but just picking and choosing individual traits is a no go doesn't make a lot of sense to me at least. If only they could have released a proper modding tool like Football Manager has and not some half-assed excuse for a workshop.

I was converting in the beginning, for some reason that kept shuffling around the " in the description, adding and removing them, but since been doing directly to the txt file and still crashing. Maybe 16 and 40 were too too extreme a value so that caused a problem, I'll try 38 though. There has to be a way to do this but it's just so precise to what you can actually change and get away with. Like deleting the entire trait txt file works fine but just picking and choosing individual traits is a no go doesn't make a lot of sense to me at least. If only they could have released a proper modding tool like Football Manager has and not some half-assed excuse for a workshop.

Are you doing huge blanket changes? If you haven't already, do one at a time and keep testing.

In other news: I've found that when temp traits trigger, they set off a media report or an email from your driver. I think I have found the file for this so I will be testing to see if they trigger nicely.

Got the media reports working when a new temp trait is rolled! The wording is probably a little too straight lace (pitfall of being well spoken), but the fact it works is awesome :D

Attachments

• 20170205190246_1.jpg
    20170205190246_1.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 322
So, update.

I have created 15 new traits, several with their own email to accompany them when your driver gets one. I have reimplemented 21 cut traits, given them appropriate effects and emails for those that need them. Further to that, I have also made 25 edits to current traits (on top of the fantastic work TheFlamingRed had already done) to make them less pointless. All they need now is a thorough test and they are good to go!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 306 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 204 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 155 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 271 13.6%