PC1 Modding in pCARS (Want opinions)

Hi.

I've been following the pCARS development since February on the WMD forums, when I decided to get into it I thought "hey, since there is no publisher BS, I guess this project will be more open to modding than other games".

Now, since then I've seen several threads and discussions on WMD about the subject, they always ended up in flame-wars of people pro modding and people against it, and none of them seemed too serious about it. Until now, recently some user made a thread in the general forum to discuss what kind of plan could be taken to allow or not modding.

As of now, the thread has been overwhelmed by people against modding, which shocked me greatly since my experience with mods has taught me A LOT of people likes them.

So since I found out this forum is a more "neutral land" and people don't need to fear the *ahem* political correctness of the WMD forums, I'd like to ask your opinions on the subject, do you think mods are good for games and should be allowed? Or not?

PS. Most of the people against modding in this recent thread at WMD seemed to be higher ups. ($$$$):cautious:

Oh dear, I'm starting to think that my post #44 was premature.:(

Yeah, me too. I knew he'd turn up again. The internet King of Trolls. For gawd's sake Ian, can't you put a leash on him? He does this everywhere.

images1.jpg

RD wouldn't be getting sued.
Let me send you an official warning now: stop threatening RaceDepartment or any of our members with this so called lawsuit or ill personally show you the door for breaching our ToS.

Then you can create a thread at WMD that you have been banned for no reason and make a huge fuzz there.

Either let the SMS or your own lawyers come forward with a cease and desist letter or other forms of legal action or just shut the hell up as you are deliberately trying to scare people.

Good to know you are there to balance it out Andy :)

Hey Klazerman, are you thinking that Micas coming on here is good for the community? Do you honestly think I am in the same class as him? He's upset that he can't get his own way, so he spoils another thread that was actually quite civilised and had some meaningful discussion.

Lets get this back on track please.

Modding in Pcars will deffinetly make it more appealing to me and many more sim racers. I'll bet they are discussing this on WMD in a civilised way without arguments so we should do the same here.
Obviously some form of cheat prevention would be needed but as long as multiplayer only allowed modded tracks and car liveries I don't see a problem. Custom car liveries would look great imho.

To be honest, in the case of PCars, modding will come they liking it or not, all games produced by SMS had their guts opened to modding by the community (see nfs shift 1 & 2). So, while official modding tools and official support would be hella nice to see, if they decided to not offer them that will not mean the end of the world.

I prefer the standard system we have now; GameData, Location folders and what have you. Simple to add and delete stuff, and it just gives you more freedom. If I want a crap quality Moskvitch, why not have that choice for myself, it's a flipping Moskvitch :D

Some modding will be done, in some form or another, as organiczero said just a few centimetres above. So why not make it accessible, more people will be interested.
Look at Richard Burns Rally; not only are there new cars and stages, modders have even added multiplayer capabilities to the game.

Don't see what is there to be lost, except perhaps revenue from any future DLC. Well, then make your DLC better than free mods, or try and pick up the quality mods and resell them as DLC.

The fragmenting of the community shtick doesn't float really. I only have to think of Shift 2, where every platform it sold on was basically an entity on its own. Steam version cars bobbing around my DVD version screen.

Anyway, I'm not following the game that much, the make or break feature for me is decent multiplayer support. I see dedicated servers mentioned on the front page, so they will definitely be in the final product?

Also, UI... The lovely old Porsche Unleashed had dropdown menus. One of the main reasons I don't want to start up Shift is the UI, and having to scroll one by one through everything. I didn't have the willpower to go through the settings because of it :D

I prefer the standard system we have now; GameData, Location folders and what have you. Simple to add and delete stuff, and it just gives you more freedom. If I want a crap quality Moskvitch, why not have that choice for myself, it's a flipping Moskvitch :D

Some modding will be done, in some form or another, as organiczero said just a few centimetres above. So why not make it accessible, more people will be interested.
Look at Richard Burns Rally; not only are there new cars and stages, modders have even added multiplayer capabilities to the game.

Don't see what is there to be lost, except perhaps revenue from any future DLC. Well, then make your DLC better than free mods, or try and pick up the quality mods and resell them as DLC.

The fragmenting of the community shtick doesn't float really. I only have to think of Shift 2, where every platform it sold on was basically an entity on its own. Steam version cars bobbing around my DVD version screen.

Anyway, I'm not following the game that much, the make or break feature for me is decent multiplayer support. I see dedicated servers mentioned on the front page, so they will definitely be in the final product?

Also, UI... The lovely old Porsche Unleashed had dropdown menus. One of the main reasons I don't want to start up Shift is the UI, and having to scroll one by one through everything. I didn't have the willpower to go through the settings because of it :D

I know, clicking those buttons is just so hard and time consuming.:whistling:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back