Modders: So, is it open for modding?

Shovas

Premium
Is ACC locked down or open for modding?

That was one of the big questions in my mind about the longevity and success that ACC could have.

*fingerscrossed*

If you think about it they could build a blueprint to look for new content in the game's directory. If modders want to mod for Unreal they need to use Unreal too, which means their exported content should be compatible with ACC from the get-go.

Besides, Stefano already said modders will need to learn Unreal Engine 4, which to me (an UE4-game developer) that ACC will be accepting MODs.

Besides, Stefano already said modders will need to learn Unreal Engine 4, which to me (an UE4-game developer) that ACC will be accepting MODs.
Or he meant that for whatever is the next STANDALONE title after ACC, which could use the same UE4 basis but a different encryption system, if at all.
They have said that Kunos does not want to do another title as DLC heavy as AC, but rather "small" standalones like now with Blancpain. I don't say ACC will receive no DLCs, but it will get less and not as diverse. Maybe GT4 class. But no streetcars for example.

Assetto Corsa Competizione Won't "Support" Modding

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/assetto-corsa-competizione-wont-support-modding.147973/

This interview was posted 2 March, 2018 ... and is only one of many similar statements since this product (ACC) was announced by Kunos.

Yes, this is the interview I remember reading and why it's been on my mind since launch day.

It's either locked down or open with a different format for modding that isn't officially supported.

A post above mentioned the pak files were encrypted.

So the only option left is Kunos voluntarily providing the decryption keys on those files. You just don't see companies doing that if it's not already open day-one.

ACC will sell a lot of copies but the problem is, without being open and moddable, it will never achieve the status and longetivity that games like GTR2/GTL/Race07 have.

Even PC2 is moddable.

ACC has/will have all the features that we've been waiting for. It would be a shame if that were locked down forever.

Yes, this is the interview I remember reading and why it's been on my mind since launch day.

It's either locked down or open with a different format for modding that isn't officially supported.

A post above mentioned the pak files were encrypted.

So the only option left is Kunos voluntarily providing the decryption keys on those files. You just don't see companies doing that if it's not already open day-one.

ACC will sell a lot of copies but the problem is, without being open and moddable, it will never achieve the status and longetivity that games like GTR2/GTL/Race07 have.

Even PC2 is moddable.

ACC has/will have all the features that we've been waiting for. It would be a shame if that were locked down forever.
Even if you unpack the pak, it’ll just be full of unreal engine formatted files...realistically, Kunos needs to give us an sdk for us to be able to add anything.

I was seriously looking forward to the potential for some multiclass racing.
alpine_a460_race_car_4k-HD (2).jpg

Perhaps future DLC if the license allows.

I can be 100% incorrect, but I kind of thought from the original announcement that modding wouldn't be ingrained into ACC the way it is with AC because of the ties to the Blancpain race series. Technically, that shouldn't matter as AC had tons of corporate relationships: Ferrari, Lamborghini, Chevy, Porsche, Lotus, etc... and the same was true regarding tracks.

As Ilja has shown, with ingenuity and a whole lot of skill...some things that seem impossible may actually be possible. Assetto Corsa is still as exciting as it's ever been, in my eyes...If no mods will ever make it into ACC I'll be totally fine with that. It's not like all of a sudden AC becomes trash just because ACC is coming. ACC is so specific in scope.

So it looks like the issue is not that Kunos has locked down ACC, but that UE4 is locked down by default. UE4 needs to be cracked, not ACC. Which is probably much more difficult. So modding unlikely.

I assume skins will still be allowed, and maybe they can shared easier in a locked down system.

This doesn't really bother me as much. ACC was always going to be a very specific title. It never struck me as being AC2.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back