Mod TH8a or Clubsport shifter.

Im thinking of upgrading my shifter as a part of my rig overhaul. As of now i have my old trusty TH8a shifter which is fine. It just lacks the shifter feeling i want. I want a little more mechanical " clunk " and resistance. Especially when in VR. Since i have a CSL DD now ( possibly upgrading to a DD1 soon ), does it make sense to sell my th8a and get a clubsport shifter? Or is a modding my shifter worth it? It is definitely more cost effective to mod, but does it bring it close to the fanatec or other higher end shifter? Thanks for any input.

I don´t know the Fanatec shifter but have used a TH8A for two years, first with a DIY Clixbeetle copy and later with 3drap modcambio2.

You´ll get a more defined postioning like on a cable action shifter on a FWD, but nothing except the Pro-Sim will give you the "clunk" of a shift lever directly mounted to the gear box of a RWD car.

Maybe also have a look at the VNM shifter which really like.

It´s a little cheaper than the Fanatec and is designed and manufactured really well.
I feel it has the potential to be more reliable than the Fanatec.
(though there is no long term experience with that and no reports of costumer service either. It´s not that long on the market.)

Have a look here:

MFG Carsten

Last edited:
I have the Clubsport shifter and really like the H-shifter part. The mechanism is a little bit on the soft side, but in VR i really like it and it feels kinda real. I am sure 1500 bucks shifters can reproduce an actual gearbox more accurately, but for the money, it is good.

I would not recoomend the sequential mode though, it feels "sticky" and simply not good at all to the point, where i did not use it anymore. That is why i bought a Heusinkveld sequential actually last week, which is miles ahead and fun to drive.

So i guess some of the multi-function price advantage is lost considering that.

Last edited:
3drap modcambio2
In addition to that TH8A mod, consider:
  • shortened shift lever
  • reduced shift knob mass (balsa)
    cork.jpg
  • H-pattern plate replaced with Delrin
Not all real H-pattern shifters have a strong clunk...

If you want to feel the "clunk" on every shift, you need a Buttkicker or similar.
TH8A is a great multipurpose shifter and I must say that is indestructible too.
Now im using SHH shifter because the easy of use but i miss the TH8A

Last edited:
If you want to feel the "clunk" on every shift, you need a Buttkicker or similar.
TH8A is a great multipurpose shifter and I must say that is indestructible too.
Now im using SHH shifter because the easy of use but i miss the TH8A
TH8A is OK, always annoyed me switching between H and sequential modes though. Was in same position as OP and have been deciding between fanatec and SHH. I ordered SHH yesterday as fanatec was poor in sequential mode with the cheap SHH being decent in both modes and easy to switch.

If I were to spend more I would look at VNM closely to see if that upgrade might be worth it. I like to try things before I buy them but I don't know anyone with the VNM. Nothing against fanatec at all, in fact everything else on my rig is fanatec. I have DD1, formula V2 with podium shifters and 320 alcantara round rim on a universal hub, v3 pedals with brake performance kit and a fanatec handbrake.

Just think there are more compelling offerings out there now, maybe it's time for fanatec to bring out a new and improved version of their shifter.

thanks for all the replies. I think "clunk" is the wrong word. I understand some real cars dont have a clunk. Ive owned over 20 manual car. I think the correct word im looking for is resistance. Even with the tension screw tight it feels too lifeless.. It sounds like the mods would remedy this. I ended up ordering a CSS and handbrake anyway, but im still on the fence. I own a Fanatec wheel so i guess the simplicity of one usb cable and software is a bonus. Im going to try on the CSS and see if it satisfies my needs.

thanks for all the replies. I think "clunk" is the wrong word. I understand some real cars dont have a clunk. Ive owned over 20 manual car. I think the correct word im looking for is resistance. Even with the tension screw tight it feels too lifeless.. It sounds like the mods would remedy this. I ended up ordering a CSS and handbrake anyway, but im still on the fence. I own a Fanatec wheel so i guess the simplicity of one usb cable and software is a bonus. Im going to try on the CSS and see if it satisfies my needs.
Oops. Split the post by accident. See next post for reply.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back