Mod Focus: 2012 Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca Released for Assetto Corsa

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Header - Assetto Corsa Mustang.jpg

@A3DR and @aphidgod have released the spectacular 2012 Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca and Hennessey's supercharged HPE650 version of the car in a brand new scratch made modding project for Assetto Corsa.

The Car
The Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca Edition and the Hennessy HPE650 supercharged version of the car marked a return to form for the iconic American manufacturer when they first rolled off the production line back in 2012. Built with power in mind, the huge machine instantly became a hit inclusion into the iconic Mustang range, popular for it's nod to the classic styling of the original car and effortless inclusion of many of the modern features one would expect from a performance machine for the 21st century.

Bringing back to prominence the famous Boss title, the 302 had a strong heritage to live up to when it released to the public marketplace, and with Mustang's desire to build a track car for the road, anyone who has been lucky enough to get behind the wheel of one of the fantastic cars can attest to the brilliant job that has been undertaken by men behind the machine. Gentlemanly and almost docile at low city driving speeds, the Boss 302 Laguna Seca literally comes alive in your hands once you begin to explore the outer envelope of it's enviable performance range.

Assetto Corsa Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca Edition 3.jpg
Assetto Corsa Ford Mustang 302 LS Hennessey HPE650 3.jpg

Speaking about the car itself, @aphidgod is clearly impressed by the machine.

"Specs-wise, this thing is a hulking 3600lb, 440bhp muscle car on the outside but it's been built and set up for the track underneath. The Boss 302 (and this LS special edition) are really intended to be a "circuit track" version of the car. It's not the mindless brute-force pony car many people think of when you say "Mustang." Even with that live axle it shows some real class IMO".

"Obviously (during the build) it was a huge advantage to have Ron around (a former owner) and also to have Dale's input (RL track experience in many Mustangs)... In terms of RL correlation, the only goal for me in these projects is matching them up as completely as I possibly can and this one lines up nicely with all of the "measurables" - accel times, skidpad Gs, lap times, and relative pace to its RL rivals (specifically the E92 M3 in this case.)

Of course the measurables don't fully define a car, which is where Ron and Dale come in. It also has to "feel" like a Mustang, and they are the reason this one does. Nothing beats input from someone with real experience in the car. They really helped out with a couple of the nuances of the handling.
The project to bring this car to Assetto Corsa has been ongoing for some time and is a product of a long running labour of love by Project Head @ronniej. Having already attempted to bring the epic machine to the simulation previously, @ronniej decided to bring in the creative talents of @A3DR for work on the (admittedly spectacular) 3D modelling and @aphidgod to bring the physics alive in what is a stunningly well handling car despite it's considerable weight and horsepower.

For his part @ronniej is understandably delighted with the progress made so far, stating:

"I would only like to say that I have had the pleasure of owning this car (2012 Boss 302 w/Recaro and Torsen option wrapped in Yellow Blaze Metallic) and ever since I was introduced to Assetto Corsa, I desperately wanted to see it in this game, and also believe it deserves to be here.. One of my favourite quotes from an article and can personally attest to is "That splitter and war paint ain't just for show, this 444-bhp pony dances with Porsches...." also, the BMW M3 (e92) in the game was lonely and I just couldn't bear it....!"
With development now finally at an end, the Mustang is ready for it's first public release to the players of Assetto Corsa. A great level of attention to detail has gone into this car in order to bring as close to the real thing experience as possible. With hours of extensive testing having been undertaken by people with experience in the real car, the team are confident players will be impressed with the real life correlation when trying out the 302 for themselves.

It's not only the physics that have received meticulous attention to detail, the 3D model of this car is straight out of the top drawer of quality. Built by professional 3D modeller @A3DR as a personal project of passion with @aphidgod and @ronniej, both the interior and exterior of this car really do show off the capabilities of Assetto Corsa to it's absolute maximum, easily achieving the quality level afforded to official cars released by Kunos themselves.

Alongside the hard work already delivered as mentioned above, the team would also like to offer a special thanks to Noel Hansen (Go Roughriders!) for real measurement info / perspective and to Dale Stearns for his role in beta testing the new car.

The 2012 Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca and Hennessey Edition, including the standard Boss skin pack is available to download HERE. The Skin pack is available HERE.

Assetto Corsa can be purchased for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One now. The PC version of the game is compatible with community created car and track additions.

Assetto Corsa Ford Mustang 302 LS Hennessey HPE650 2.jpg
Assetto Corsa Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca Edition 1.jpg
Assetto Corsa Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca Edition 4.jpg

RaceDepartment have our very own Assetto Corsa Modding Discussion forum, a location where community members can share progress on the latest mods, download new content and interact and ask questions about the world of mod creation in Assetto Corsa. Check out the Assetto Corsa Modding Forum for details and take a look at our general Assetto Corsa forum where you will find all the latest news items and community discussion topics.

Have you tried the new Mustang mod from A3DR and aphidgod? What do you think of the car? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Speaking as a life-long Mustang fan, who has driven about every street model since the mid 1980s, the Boss 302 is the coolest Mustang ever. The last and greatest of the solid-axle cars. We're very lucky to be getting this. It will be a very unique addition, and an A+ quality mod.

Thanks for the article Paul, and thanks to everyone involved, it's a pleasure to see a project like this finalized and left to everyone to enjoy.
I must admit this isn't a car that caught my eye from the beginning, but once I've got into making the 3D model, I've started to discover how much this design resembles the one from the '67-'68 fastbacks, and that's where it hit the spot for me :)
Having actual drivers and owners of the real car helping us with the feedback on physics was great and I hope you can all enjoy the most realistic simulation of this purebred specimen!

• ronniej

Thanks Paul, and a special thanks to @A3DR and @aphidgod for being just awesome from start to finish.
Anyone interested in making an old car they regret letting go of etc, should look no further than these guys if they can spare the time.

Stoked that it is being well received also. Mustangs weren't my favorite either until I got a hold of the Boss 302. Can't ignore what it delivers..Truly makes you feel like a "pilot"

• ronniej

I am from Nova Scotia and spotted the New Brunswick license plate on the 302 !!!!

haha, yes sir!...Downey Ford had only a white one and then this one with the Recaro/Torsen.....Brought it back out with me to the oil patch in SASK. and traded it for a truck @ Bennett Dunlop in Regina.....It seemed like the right thing to do at the time:(

Astonishing car Daniel! as always your work push the quality bar over the existing limits! and such amazing results in a very "short" time, just the experience and passion can manage to get that kind of results!
Anyone who want to make 3d cars for a simulator should have a poster of you in his room :)

Agreed - especially on the Hennessey car. Needs moar supercharger for sure.

(To add to the sacrilege, it's running around with C7 Corvette sounds... the Kunos Mustang didn't rev high enough. :redface: )

Edit: to the reviewer using the Veloce sounds - that's also a Chevy V8. :roflmao:

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing