Mod cars wont auto up-shift?

So i have a couple of mod cars that wont auto upshift, when i brake it downshifts but I have to manually up shift.

IS this a simple setting in a file that I can change or is it more complex than that?

If the car's not encrypted then yeah, open ai.ini in the car's data folder and set [GEARS] UP= to less than the redline. Same for drivetrain.ini set [AUTO_SHIFTER] UP= to where you need it
Ok so the drivetrain.ini didnt have an autoshift section, I tried copying one from another car that did but it didnt work...probably something i did wrong

Last edited:
So i have a couple of mod cars that wont auto upshift, when i brake it downshifts but I have to manually up shift.

IS this a simple setting in a file that I can change or is it more complex than that?
i know this is a 2yo thread but i found that, if you go to Engine.ini, check the values of
[Engine_data]
LIMITER
[Coast_Ref]
RPM

i found that on a car that didnt upshift automatically, i changed the LIMITER to a bigger number than the RPM, my car had 6500 for both values and after i increased the value of the LIMITER to 7200 it started to work, idk if it works for all cars but worth trying

i know this is a 2yo thread but i found that, if you go to Engine.ini, check the values of
[Engine_data]
LIMITER
[Coast_Ref]
RPM

i found that on a car that didnt upshift automatically, i changed the LIMITER to a bigger number than the RPM, my car had 6500 for both values and after i increased the value of the LIMITER to 7200 it started to work, idk if it works for all cars but worth trying
This is not the right thing to do and those values are not related to the issue at hand (the coast ref rpm only changes engine braking, nothing else). The AI shift points are set in the ai.ini and must be lower than engine_data's limiter. The player's autoshift uses the AI's values unless the lines Stereo mentioned are present in the drivetrain.ini (in which case, those get used).

This is not the right thing to do and those values are not related to the issue at hand (the coast ref rpm only changes engine braking, nothing else). The AI shift points are set in the ai.ini and must be lower than engine_data's limiter. The player's autoshift uses the AI's values unless the lines Stereo mentioned are present in the drivetrain.ini (in which case, those get used).
You are totally right, i just checked the Ai.ini and indeed the values for the shift up and down are there, i didnt know that, nor did i know this is what the game used for the auto-shift players too, thanks! the first time i was lucky and the value i put in matched the shift up value and made it work but i found another car that was trying to shift up above the max rpm so it never did, tweaking the value fixed it, this is the proper fix, it kinda breakes the game when a few cars stay in the starting line because they can't get out of neutral xD, the first answer to this post explained that but i did not understand it, now i get it

Last edited:
You are totally right, i just checked the Ai.ini and indeed the values for the shift up and down are there, i didnt know that, nor did i know this is what the game used for the auto-shift players too, thanks! the first time i was lucky and the value i put in matched the shift up value and made it work but i found another car that was trying to shift up above the max rpm so it never did, tweaking the value fixed it, this is the proper fix, it kinda breakes the game when a few cars stay in the starting line because they can't get out of neutral xD, the first answer to this post explained that but i did not understand it, now i get it
Hello
I know this thread is ultra old but I used the exact method for quite many cars and they work quite well until today. I just installed the Huracan GT3 Evo by Bonny, the automatic shifter doesn't work, so I tried the same method up there but it never upshift. Please send help if you can, thank you

Hello
I know this thread is ultra old but I used the exact method for quite many cars and they work quite well until today. I just installed the Huracan GT3 Evo by Bonny, the automatic shifter doesn't work, so I tried the same method up there but it never upshift. Please send help if you can, thank you
did you ever re-solve this issue

Hello
Sorry i never saw this post, im not sure the reason but there are some cars i just can't get to work with ai too for some reason, also there is drivetrain.ini who can have parameters responsible for the player only auto-shifting separated from the ai.ini so maybe try and search for that, the parameters are the same, "up" and "down" with a rpm value i believe, many of the car mods are made by ppl who play in manual so from time to time you might find this, you can always try(after making a backup) to replace the AI.ini with a similar car's AI.ini that works and hope it works, shouldn't hurt to try

Last edited:
Some additional info for this issue:

-sometimes you need to repack your changes in drivetrain to the data file before changes take effect (I had this issue with bazzas F1 1967 mod)
-the values for the Huracan GT3 Evo by Bonny that worked for me are:
[AUTO_SHIFTER]
UP=7900

Last edited by a moderator:
What "redline" are you referring to?
The file engine.ini contains a section called [ENGINE_DATA]. Within that is a LIMITER value - this is the RPM at which the rev limiter activates, if there is one.

That same file engine.ini might also have a [DAMAGE] section. This contains a line RPM_THRESHOLD= which is the RPM at which engine damage starts to occur (so it's basically the functional redline). Presumably the LIMITER value is already less than this, but it doesn't have to be.

The upshift point indicated in ai.ini needs to be lower than the rev limiter and the damage threshold. If the upshift point is too high then you'll see the AI revving against the limiter but never engaging a gear.
It's a ridiculously common bug in car mods.

Similar shift points should also be set in "drivetrain.ini" in the [AUTO_SHIFTER] section, if it exists. This controls auto shifting for the player, but if it's missing then the values from "ai.ini" will be used.

On most modern cars, you can just set the AI upshift point slightly below the limiter and it will be fine.
Some cars (mostly older street cars) might have better acceleration by shifting earlier. Adjust the AI shift values accordingly if this is causing the AI to be slow.

If it seems like your changes aren't having any effect, make sure there isn't still a "data.acd" file present. That file overrides everything in the data/ directory. You can either delete the "data.acd", or else use "Pack Data" in Content Manager, which will replace the data.acd with your edits.

If it seems like your changes aren't having any effect, make sure there isn't still a "data.acd" file present. That file overrides everything in the data/ directory. You can either delete the "data.acd", or else use "Pack Data" in Content Manager, which will replace the data.acd with your edits.

Ah! The Lotus Cortina 1966 in the Dream Pack 1 had this problem... The values in ai.ini and drivetrain.ini looked OK, so I was mystified. I finally deleted (actually, renamed) data.acd and now it works like a charm... THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INSIGHT!

One question: very few cars I have actually have a "data" folder with ai.ini and drivetrain.ini. Are cars without the data folder those what you mean by "encrypted"? A have a few cars with this problem and can't fix them as they have none of the .INI files... Cans these cars be fixed...? Is it possible to "unpack" data.acd to check and fix the ai.ini and drivetrain.ini values?

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 185 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 363 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing