Moby Dick and technique

Keith Gregg

CAUTION - SLOW VEHICLE
I am loving the Moby Dick...it's a quirky, challenging and fun car to drive.
My 2 big weak spots with the car are gear changing (I often get gearbox damage when shifting, I think I am trying to shift too quickly and it doesnt like it (clutch pedal has a 10% dead zone at the top))...and I get locking wheels under most braking at all temps (probably BIAS not being set right).
Any tips on driving this great car would be appreciated :)
Regards

Car setup is entirely a personal preference and depends on your technique how you drive. This kind of car is the kind you want most speed out of corner. Stiffer arb on rear makes it the opposite. Wing setup depends on track.
Heel&toe (revmatching) helps a lot if you master it :thumbsup:

Car setup is entirely a personal preference and depends on your technique how you drive. This kind of car is the kind you want most speed out of corner. Stiffer arb on rear makes it the opposite. Wing setup depends on track.
Heel&toe (revmatching) helps a lot if you master it :thumbsup:
nah not sure if it is real life case but AC version is udnersteering like tugboat .. so if you can`t get more grip to front, loose the rear ...stiff rear ARB and no wing + some changes to suspesion makes that little bit more willing to turn in ...

Car has a spool diff, traction is not much of a problem. I'm not saying max out the rear ARB, but about 5 clicks or so helps. I can't remember if the car has a gurney flap (could be mixing it up with the 917/30), and if I kept it after putting Wing to 0.

Anyway, even that is fine, I was running it like that at Spa without issues.

sure nothing wrong with that ..but sill making it easier to turn is not the same as making it hard to drive ... in AC case I don`t usually bother to setup car ..unless it is extremely unpleasant to drive like Moby Dick ..

Look at this successful drift through Woodcote (see the black marks), didn't end up in a spin!:

2jc7v3l.jpg

Meanwhile I'm thinking if there's something wrong with the car (or the old Silverstone). The back end moves up and down in the garage, while stationary, about 10mm/s. Back end camber and toe values change so much that you can't be sure what values you are using.*

This car managed to lap times at old Silverstone, with a chicane, of 1:22,38 (qualy) and 1:23,98 (race). While I am no Jacky Ickx nor Jochen Maas, I'm not the slowest driver either, and I'm still 7 seconds slower without the chicane! :confused:

E: I'm not using default setups either.

*It was caused by Opentrack! I have to stop it before making setup changes.

Last edited:
Sorry about spamming but it wasn't Opentrack after all. The rear end keeps on moving up and down without any TrackIR. Should I report this?

Probably be best to post a bug report in the Kunos physics bugs forum. I've noticed this too on more tracks than just old silverstone, and it is really weird. The car randomly goes up and down, never standing still. Think other Porsches also do this, like the 917/30.

Sorry about spamming but it wasn't Opentrack after all. The rear end keeps on moving up and down without any TrackIR. Should I report this?
It's happening on one of the cars IER is developing...I'm fairly certain it's just a low-speed physics bug (possibly relating to non-linear springs) so I doubt it will be fixed. For verifying ride heights, camber, etc., drive the car at above 3 kph and (after enabling dev apps) use the telemetry app to check them.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 118 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 159 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 303 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 434 39.6%