Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

I'm feeling like that that may be it. I think I've optimized my rig about as far as it will go given my space constraints. I don't have room for a 6DOF system, so as far as the hardware goes, I believe I have reached feature complete and optimized.

I might 3D print a cable housing for one area where the cables are extremely bulky, but that is purely cosmetic and I don't feel particularly excited about that.

I have to say I've been blown away by the NLRv3 integration with DCS. They made a change a little while back to handle latency better and when I'm in a jet or helicopter, the motion in response to my control inputs has a very nice feel. It's immediate and "appropriate" It even handles barrel rolls well. I didn't like how it used to handle them and now they feel seamless. That doesn't mean realistic, but immersive enough in VR to sell it. I was approaching a mountain range and got some turbulence off the ridges that put a serious grin on my face.

People like to ding the NLRv3 because it is just a seat mover and because you can build an SFX100 system yourself for similar money, but Next Level Racing has been busy working with the software and it feels better than ever. In Dirt Rally 1.0 and then 2.0 I've liked how the NLRv3 feels, but it feels better now and much more immediate. The same goes for iRacing.

The one area that I still needs some work is my tactile configuration. It don't have it working for DCS and I could still tweak it quite a bit in other areas where I'm mostly happy with it, but I'm sure there is room for improvement. The NLRv3 software has some tactile support build into it for DCS and I may play with that a bit. I think it's mostly engine rpm and weapons fire related tactile unless you are on a runway. SimHub doesn't support DCS at this time.

Last edited:
It would be sad to see the evolution of your rig come to a close, I am sure some new hardware will come into the fray that inspires new builds. I myself aspire to get the NLRv3 at some point but the price of entry is quite steep for me to handle. Any who I look forward to your future content :thumbsup:

A simple little place to hook a couple cables.
CableRouter_6606.jpg

USB Cable storage cover in Galaxy black. No teeth are broken now and the teeth are stronger.
USBCover_6607.jpg

Last edited:
If I were to step back and look at this project, the key issue for me personally is that every time I spend much of any time using my rig, I come up with ideas on how to improve it and get more excited about designing and building new solutions than using my rig.

Solving problems is too much fun to me and always takes precedence because it is always more fun!

Now I just hope I can enjoy using my rig without some project in the works.

Either that or I'll use it for a while and have an epiphany about some idea I've not even dreamed of yet.

I know the feeling. :D

The urge to fix things be stronger than the actual racing it self.

But.... there will come a time when you are done.....and there's nothing left to do.

I have reached that point with my rig after doing lot's of final tweaks and improvements in the last couple of months. I still need to update my thread with all the fixes and changes to my rig. ( which is a pretty long list )

I even went OCD and installed covers on every inch of profile, even the ones you can not see directly.

And then there's this empty feeling of satisfaction, because there's nothing left to improve anymore.

Which is great, but also a bit sad ;)

What an amazing thread and sim rig build up. I still haven't finished reading the entire thread, but it's very interesting to read how you went through some of the same challenges I had.

In particular, a center stick with a quick release. I don't have the fabrication skills and knowledge you have, so I went for a much more off-the-shelf approach using a steering wheel quick release, but with similar results which you can see here and here. Fun Fact, I actually used the same cushion you discarded, I just opened it up and trimmed the excess memory foam to make it fit. (Great taste on grips :)

I had to move abroad temporarily and the rig on the pictures is now in boxes waiting for me (got another one for abroad :). I'm planning my rig upgrades for when I get back in a few months, and I'll almost certainly take inspiration from this thread.

If you are interested, you can see my planned rig here, where I'm using what I learned from my original rig, upgrading to a P1-X but using all the profiles of the GT1 Evo for some upgrades, and adding a few new things (and a Rolling TV Stand).

My goal is to have a rig for flight, racing, 1p shooter and remote work office (I'll still have a desk though). I'm including now triple screens since it seems Elite Dangerous is not adding VR to Odyssey any time soon, and I want to at least try Star Citizen.

Apologies for the simplistic modeling, but I do what I can with what I have (MayCad freeware). If you have any feedback, it is most certainly welcomed.

Again, thanks for an amazing post and continuing to report on all the changes. Maybe my rig or plans inspire you to keep working on yours? :)

Here is the final wiring. I can't think of much that I could do to improve this layout and I don't want a hood covering.

Having a dedicated USB hub for flight controls meant another power adapter so I replaced my heavy duty 5 plug outlet with an all black 6 plug heavy duty outlet. Now I don't have to plug and unplug something unused when going in and out of flight mode.

This also shows the freshly printed in Galaxy Black Neutrik 8 pole mount.

finalwiring_6610.jpg
finalwiring_6609.jpg

And here is that M4 cable clip I just added.

Last edited:
i already upgraded to 4 way belt tensioner
My impression was that it tensions all 4 belts simultaneously:

Cornering feedback from separately tensioning left vs right harness has been for me even more useful than simultaneously tensioning e.g. for braking.
A pair of 35kg hobby servos can deliver credible tensions,
driven by a simple Arduino sketch: from SimHub:
Borrowed US$4 USB-powered servo tester from a microscope stage control
to run RDS3235 servos to CCW limits for bracket installation.
View attachment 438844
Why do motor wires exit servo body where they are liable to bracket motion interference?
Confirmed that gear noise is usefully reduced by suspending servos between harness straps:

That
Here is the final wiring. I can't think of much that I could do to improve this layout and I don't want a hood covering.

Having a dedicated USB hub for flight controls meant another power adapter so I replaced my heavy duty 5 plug outlet with an all black 6 plug heavy duty outlet. Now I don't have to plug and unplug something unused when going in and out of flight mode.

This also shows the freshly printed in Galaxy Black Neutrik 8 pole mount.

View attachment 472571View attachment 472572

And here is that M4 cable clip I just added.
That's looking really good. Very tidy, great cable management there :thumbsup:

I agree there's nothing to improve there anymore. In the end you will always need an USB cable, a powercable and tactile cable (if you have buttkickers connected on that piece)

At one point i did consider mounting every thing in one big plug, but came to the conclusing that one plug for each connection is the best option.
My impression was that it tensions all 4 belts simultaneously:

Cornering feedback from separately tensioning left vs right harness has been for me even more useful than simultaneously tensioning e.g. for braking.
A pair of 35kg hobby servos can deliver credible tensions,
driven by a simple Arduino sketch: from SimHub:

With the GS-5 already giving me the simulated G-forces and thus automatically tensioning up the left/right belts depending on the corner, there no need for left/right seperate belts.

I'm a firm believer of truly separating all the effects and only let each system do, what it can do best. For example : GS-5 = Simulate G's , Belts = Surge, SFX = Heave, Tactile = RPM + road details.

I'm a firm believer of truly separating all the effects and only let each system do, what it can do best. For example : GS-5 = Simulate G's , Belts = Surge, SFX = Heave, Tactile = RPM + road details.

Unless you have added traction loss to your system, you might consider using tactile for wheel slip. I can feel when my front or rear end is starting to slide but before it spins out and it makes it easier to move more weight over the front of rear of the car to maintain control. That is only only effect that actually helps me. I enjoy the rest for immersion.

That

That's looking really good. Very tidy, great cable management there :thumbsup:

I agree there's nothing to improve there anymore. In the end you will always need an USB cable, a powercable and tactile cable (if you have buttkickers connected on that piece)

At one point i did consider mounting every thing in one big plug, but came to the conclusing that one plug for each connection is the best option.

With the GS-5 already giving me the simulated G-forces and thus automatically tensioning up the left/right belts depending on the corner, there no need for left/right seperate belts.

Do you use just heave on the SFX-100? What about using pitch and roll on the SFX-100 to simulate gradient?

Now that my rig is complete, I've been dialing things in. Today I was in the F18.

I set my Throttle detents where the afterburner kicks in. ( Where else do you normally set detents? I've got 4 individual detents, 2 per side) I'm not sure what they are all for.

I set a button on my button box to show and hide the pilot, and another to center my view ( for some reason I can't get that to work). I also set the Eject button which is a large red mushroom button that I use to Pit stop or recover in driving games. Still trying to figure out what input the ESC key is mapped to that brings up the menu?

The motion with the NLRv3 seat mover is excellent in DCS and I'm very happy with it.

Today I started working on the tactile effects that the NLRv3 software supports. The Buttkicker Concert mounted to my seat was great for the gun effect on the F-18. It felt like the gun spun up and then took a bit to spin back down. It also has an engine rpm feature and has effects if my plane is hit. Nothing like a 3.5lb transducer piston running about 16.5Hz to shake things up a bit
1f642.png
I definitely had the feeling like that gun packed a Wallop.

I did have one weird thing happen today. I tried out the Eject Button I hit it three times and I was launched out of the F18 and was floating down in a parachute. The seat mover tilted me way forward for the descent. I also could feel the plane crash from the seat transducer.

However after a little parachute ride the NLRv3 got stuck in that very tilted forward mode. I got out of DCS all the way and that didn't fix it, so I rebooted the computer and it worked fine again. I guess I'll report that issue to the Next Level Racing folks.

DialinginDCS.jpg

FlightMode_6619.jpg

Last edited:
After doing a read through of your topic i was wondering how of the initial requirement that the rig needs to be mobile is active.

With a tactile tower, detachable pedal section and the flight sticks and throttle i guessing it all takes up a lot of space in the room.

After doing a read through of your topic i was wondering how of the initial requirement that the rig needs to be mobile is active.

With a tactile tower, detachable pedal section and the flight sticks and throttle i guessing it all takes up a lot of space in the room.

That tower is for my Media Room entertainment system. The NX4-6000 is only on the bottom shelf. Above it is my BD player, 7.2 surround sound receiver, and on top is the center channel speaker. I use the 75" TV hanging on the wall for my monitor before I get into VR.

This multipurpose room also has a Keiser M3i spin bike, Hoist Elite v9 weight system, Concept 2 rowing machine and Precore elliptical trainer in it, a massive 4,000W subwoofer in the back corner of the room and a 6' tall cat tree in the other corner.

My wife and I watch TV while we work out.

The flight stick/Collective/throttle and memory foam seat cushion sit in a closet when not in use. It does seem bulky with the pedal deck off of it, but when the pedal deck and rig are both against the side wall I still have room for room scale VR in the center of the room which I use very frequently. I still play In Death quite a bit.

So that initial requirement is still very much in effect.

Leaving my rig in the center of the room would ruin my room scale VR and wouldn't allow my wife and I eat on a table that we slide into place in front of the modular couch.

My wife wants me to have a large dedicated space for my shop and VR room in our next home. Realistically that is still 3-5 years out.

Last edited:
The more I think about this, the more I realize that even with more space my rig would not take long to finish again. I would put a 6DOF system to put under it. Assuming the kit had no issues, I can only assume that would be another week's work. I think I would use a passive seat belt tensioning utilizing the chassis surge like Barry did.

Even taking my sweet time and being very careful, I can't imagine it taking that long to set up. The issue is that I think I've already thought through most of the things I would need to change.

1. Remove NLRv3 and remount seat. That would lower my seat a bit and I would probably want to replace the 40x120 with 40x80 lowers for my Pedal deck.

2. Because the rig would be suspended I would need to set up a flexible power/USB cable harness of some type and I would need to rearrange the power supplies and make sure that they were more solidly mounted.

3. The steering wheels would need to live somewhere else since they would just come off and be unsprung weight.

4. I would likely have 220V run for efficiency or at least a dedicated circuit while I was waiting for the kit. I would verify everything is grounded properly to a common ground to reduce EMI issues.

Past that I'm sure a few things may need a more solid mount. The camelbak bottle holder would likely need something added to hold it in place even it it was just an elastic band. The phone holder likewise would need a clamp of some kind or I might make it larger to fit around the entire phone and then have a clip to keep it captured.

I'm sure that there would be some trickledown I haven't thought of, but it all seems very manageable.

Last edited:
@Wmacky What software are you using for tactile when you are in flight simulations?

Edit: It looks like purchased a copy of the SimShaker Sound Module about 3 years ago.

And based on this link it looks like that is the right starting point.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back