MMOS Direct drive wheel in 2020

Hi All,
So background I've been wanting to get into direct drive for a while now and have been looking at the cheaper options like OSW kits or the Simplycity range.
Recently however I've come across some DIY options using MMOS which I believe would allow me to build a big mige based wheel for around £500, with by the looks of it the possibility to upgrade to a simucube controller later.

My question for people is would you consider an MMOS wheel to still be a decent starting direct drive option in 2020 and would it be likely to be a good upgrade over my current Thrustmaster TS-PC

in the video I used a 400w servo for testing, but now I use a 700w servo and a 48v 10A power supply

Nice.

Any link to the 700w servomotor where it can be bought? Or the model number? Is it by chance this one?
80 mm 48V 700W 3000rpm Brushless dc servo motor 2500ppr encoder

How do you read encoder pulses back to the STM32 for the MMOS to know the position? Does this servomotor has its own encoder attached? Or using external encoder?

Thanks
Thanos

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice.

Any link to the 700w servomotor where it can be bought? Or the model number? Is it by chance this one?
80 mm 48V 700W 3000rpm Brushless dc servo motor 2500ppr encoder

How do you read encoder pulses back to the STM32 for the MMOS to know the position? Does this servomotor has its own encoder attached? Or using external encoder?

Thanks
Thanos
I buy secondhand, i use servo built-in encoder
Screenshot_2020-12-20-13-06-37-219_com.bukalapak.android.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
sure its peak.
i got a Lenze Servo , peak 29 Nm (!)
you forgot you got a wheel on it , you dont hold the force on the servo shaft.
(normal i reduce the force to 35-40% of max)
some cars in some games can get more (i did 50% and it was drivable (so around 15Nm)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
sure its peak.
i got a Lenze Servo , peak 29 Nm (!)
you forgot you got a wheel on it , you dont hold the force on the servo shaft.
(normal i reduce the force to 35-40% of max)
some cars in some games can get more (i did 50% and it was drivable (so around 15Nm)
I don't know how to calculate torque, but I think it's also more powerful than my T300rs

Upvote 0
No need to use mmos its new software a lot better, firmware are still in progress but is very good. Now is support for load cell pedals, shifter, handbrake.

CarSimulatorFirmware is the Open firmwares of VNM Simulation. It will include required firmwares for car simulator such as wheelbase, pedal, shifter, etc.
For discussion, please visit: https://discord.gg/NDk4pYd or https://www.facebook.com/groups/2303223886447618/?ref=share
  1. Wheelbase features:
  • 12 effects and configurable individual effect gain.
  • Built in DAC (PA4,PA5) ~ PE9,PE11 PWM
  • FFB frequency upto 4k (can be increased to higher but a high resolution encoder will be required)
  • Configurable filters, user effects.
The feature roadmap for VNM Wheelbase Firmware:
  • Load cells with high resolution and frequency
  • 24 bit mutil channel ADC
  • Angle sensors
  • Absolute encoder
  • Configure the servo driver from the GUI
  • Displays configuration device's LCD
  • Buttons for steering wheel, button box, paddles.
  1. Shifter
  • Hpattern and sequential modes supported
  • 2 analog inputs
  • Configurable LED
  • 2 buttons for truck knob
https://github.com/hoantv/CarSimulatorFirmware

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%