Resource icon

Tracks Misano MWC 1.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
(...)
The road mesh isnt quite there for me, it feels fine on the straights but in the corners it gives quite notchy ffb (formula renault 3.5 is nice car to test and compare with) and can upset the car quite easily.
(...)
(...)
What i noticed:
Straights could have a little more physical bump. I dont mean "bumps", but more like a tarmac noise. Nothing drastic. I think it would elevate the feeling a bit more. Corners are fine due to your own added bumps and i guess the mesh
These are nice, and made me think of Aris: he once wrote a nice post about the feedback he gets from pro drivers driving AC cars. Now, being the 2 quotes perfectly specular, I will try and refine better the road noise, trying to use a different approach, that I tested today. This will come in some weeks because it involves adding quite some polygons and I wouldn't want to release a poorly performing track.

Thanks for the continued updates! :)

I noticed the reverb zones are quite a bit stronger than what you'd expect. Also, the asphalt texture is repeating itself very often. Might be worth taking a look.
Roger on reverbs, will reduce them a bit.
Unfortunately I think the road pattern can't be perfectly fixed. The same problem can be seen even on some Kunos tracks, eg. Barcelona. In my case, it comes from the files used for road noise that can't be made as large as needed to fill the road without repeating. I was walking inside the Imola track yesterday (in real life) and the tarmac pebbles are really small (5mm to 1.5mm roughly). With a track width of 14 meters, like in Misano, I should use a really large texture to fill the road, and I need to compromise. The choice is to give priority to what you see while driving, whith the downside of having patterns in the distance. Right now I can keep the pebbles quite small, but unless using very very large noise textures, some pattern will stay.
Should you know a workaround, I would like very much to learn it and be able to improve the look.

Thanks a lot for the feedback to all of you.

Awesome stuff, Im happy to try a few experimental meshes if you want feedback before the next update (you could separate the mesh into a separate kn5 and then upload several without having many duplicates of the whole track kn5 to save upload time)

it's a bit easy to crash/getting stuck sideways in the wall at pitlane entry. is it possible to let the car slide a bit more at the walls instead of bumping hard?

Should you know a workaround, I would like very much to learn it and be able to improve the look.
Some repeating is to be expected and indeed very visible on Kunos's tracks aswell. But it appears you use a square diffuse texture. If you make that a 1024×4096 one (and obviously adjust the UV map accordingly) it will not repeat every 15 meter, but every 60. That might help quite a lot already :)

it's a bit easy to crash/getting stuck sideways in the wall at pitlane entry. is it possible to let the car slide a bit more at the walls instead of bumping hard?
Sorry coret3x, I think it's the way AC sorts out collisions between the car and a WALL object, depending on angle and speed. I don't see a possible fix from my side.

Sorry coret3x, I think it's the way AC sorts out collisions between the car and a WALL object, depending on angle and speed. I don't see a possible fix from my side.
Are you using seperate models for the collision? Walls should ideally be as simple as possible, and as verticle as possible (a 10 meter high polygon will do :p ). In the past, people used barrier objects and the likes as physical walls and you can easily get stuck in them.
Explained in a bit more detail here: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...-in-track-making-plus-tips.27180/#post-555676
These simple walls also greatly reduce CPU occupancy, especially when driving with AI.

Are you using seperate models for the collision? Walls should ideally be as simple as possible, and as verticle as possible (a 10 meter high polygon will do :p ). In the past, people used barrier objects and the likes as physical walls and you can easily get stuck in them.
Explained in a bit more detail here: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...-in-track-making-plus-tips.27180/#post-555676
These simple walls also greatly reduce CPU occupancy, especially when driving with AI.
Yep, all of the walls are like in the linked thread picture. Not that tall, but low poly for sure, literally boxes with as few faces as possible. The pits entrance guardrail is 1.30 mts tall, I will try making a separate taller wall and see if it works better.

Z9uaPDH.jpg

So yeah. because of collisions during pitlane-enter (making your car stand the wrong way after crash) people might try to reverse in to the pitstop (to avoid getting reset to pits because of wrong way (looses the lap)). Then it's a bit too easy to enter this garage. however it's an open hole that lets you fall immediately after entering it.

I have remade the pit entry wall (around 3 mts tall) but still if you hit it at speed your car will tend to spin. I don't think I can prevent this. As for the hole in pitlane, I have added a solid wall (right behind the doors) starting at the end of the guardrail in your picture and ending after the building, just to stay safe ;)

I would have liked to release after re-texturing the road, but being the ACRL race sept. 18th I think it's better to release a 1.2 with various fixes, and work without hurry on the rest.
v.1.2 hopefully tomorrow.

Dear Roberto, you already know how much i like this track. :inlove:
Great job, i had no doubts.

I was so excited to try version 1.0, but before i had the time ,i downloaded the 1.1... and another update is already planned. What a pace! :cool: I'm loving it! :p

foyol updated Misano MWC with a new update entry:

Stricter track limits

15 - sep - 2016
misano MWC 1.2

Stricter track limits.
working like this: in most turns, if you go with 4 wheels out the kerb (on the red concrete) you get now a penalty. It is only 3 seconds, and along the track there is plenty of chance to pay the penalty during the long brakings.
I set it like that (short penalty time) thinking to the race: being penalized with more time for a little infraction would be too harsh, and in the end useless ruining the race.
But I did think to...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I suspect Chris Kennedy thought it was nice on the straights FFB wise because we go straight there (heh...) and you normally dont feel much on any tracks straights because the FFB wheel is left in center position (where no FFB or very little FFB is present). But i tested the straights on purpose by turning left/right (like when overtaking), and while doing so i noticed the feeling is very very light. Like almost no FFB noise.

Also, thank you for the update Foyol! :)

Nice! :thumbsup:
Regarding the rl timings, maybe they are slower because of the penalty zone?
In the italian championship all the red zone (but the last turn iirc) are treated as track. This could give an advantage to AI and even the lap times.

Anyway, i don't really care so much if Ai is 1 sec slower than real cars. :whistling:
I just enjoy racing in this beautiful layout. :roflmao:

I suspect Chris Kennedy thought it was nice on the straights FFB wise because we go straight there (heh...) and you normally dont feel much on any tracks straights because the FFB wheel is left in center position (where no FFB or very little FFB is present). But i tested the straights on purpose by turning left/right (like when overtaking), and while doing so i noticed the feeling is very very light. Like almost no FFB noise.

Also, thank you for the update Foyol! :)
You are right 100% on the feeling being very low on straights. First reason is the mesh resolution, that is lower on straights. In the next versions I would like to get this: straights pretty smooth, just little noise, but with a bit higher resolution. Braking zones: little waves due to cars braking and moving the tarmac ahead. Turns: smooth inside the correct/most used line. Little noise as soon as you go out of trajectory. Cars should tend to smooth the tarmac in trajectory under acceleration (at least looking at Imola tarmac it seems to be smoother where they step on throttle, and rougher in the less used parts of the road).
Add that the test Chris did was with the Formula Renault 3.5, that iirc has very rigid suspensions and FFB, so I think the bumpy feeling comes from both the track and the car.

You are right 100% on the feeling being very low on straights. First reason is the mesh resolution, that is lower on straights. In the next versions I would like to get this: straights pretty smooth, just little noise, but with a bit higher resolution. Braking zones: little waves due to cars braking and moving the tarmac ahead. Turns: smooth inside the correct/most used line. Little noise as soon as you go out of trajectory. Cars should tend to smooth the tarmac in trajectory under acceleration (at least looking at Imola tarmac it seems to be smoother where they step on throttle, and rougher in the less used parts of the road).
Add that the test Chris did was with the Formula Renault 3.5, that iirc has very rigid suspensions and FFB, so I think the bumpy feeling comes from both the track and the car.
Sounds like a great plan Foyol. :) I also tested GT cars and Ferrari 138 F1. I think it can be a matter of FFB wheels as well. But Kunos manage to get good feeling that seems to work for everyone. Its all about finding that sweet spot. Higer res on the straights with tarmac noise sounds super. Make it so and we shall test it. :)

Keep up the great work.

Yes FR3.5 works nicely to test because of that stiff suspension, can feel what is going on nicely through ffb and also when trying to put the power down you can feel the rear get loose when the car is unsettled by unnatural bumps, the tight corners still feel like that to me, so look forward to trying the next version :)

Karma anyone?
Look:
this is the LiDAR data available for that area in Emilia Romagna region.
Great work they did: brilliant 1 meter and 2 meters resolution. Wait...
Nooooooooo!!!!
Karma_anyone.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back