Minorating useless?

Hello everybody,
i was searching for "minorating" but the only threads i found are ancient, so i felt it's okay to open my own one.

I haven't really touched AC in quite some time and only read about minorating but as i'm a huge supporter of "limit access to servers so we get clean racing" i had very high hopes.
Now my dreams pretty much crashed down burning after just 3 races.

Rating C basically stands for "Carnage" and means absolutely nothing.
Rating B is achieved after 2 laps in Qualifying without wrecking, so, ya, that is also a completely pointless rating then.

I don't know what it takes to get an A rating as all C and B drivers tend to just slam into you and seem to have less awareness than the AI in Project Cars 1, but then again, would it matter? Are there even A rating servers that have the potential to offer clean racing?

The way i see it, minorating is absolutely pointless in it's current form.
People smashing into other cars in T1 and not being able to keep the car on the track for more than half a lap should never be allowed to advance to C.
B ranking should not be achievable by driving 2 laps without incident, that should require several pretty clean races in traffic.

Any tips on better MP races without having to stick to league and club races that never take place when i'm online?
Yes... i know... iRacing - except for the partly weird tyremodel i really loved my time in iRacing, but once you hit C class you are forced to drop at least 100$ on it without even knowing if you will be able to actually enjoy the content you're buying.
That's the reason why i want all other sims to implement a good rating system :D

• Deleted member 379375

Hi xnob,

I completely agree with you, I could have written that myself.
For some reason everyone piles into the MR ABCD N servers so there is not much point in the whole system. Servers that restrict to say A and B are empty and as you say the qualification for each level seems so low as to make it pointless anyway.

I have just signed up for member status here in the hope to find decent racers but to be honest I don't think that is an ideal solution either as I consider myself a good but casual racer and don't really want to have to commit to a specific time.

I did log into an RD server the other day (not a calendared race event) and of course that was empty.

I'm not running the MR guys down as they have honestly tried to solve an issue. We can argue about the MR levels or other fixes but I think any solution has to be global across all MP servers

The flaw in the system for me is I seem to lose grades for getting hit.
That's also how iRacing's system works.
Even the best system will have problems knowing who was really in the wrong - in the end losing rating because of contact (no matter if it's your fault or not) will in general increase awareness and racecraft of everybody.

But only if decrease of rating actually means anything.
Like "Okay, if i screw up i might not be able to run GT3 anymore" - now that's something that would make people really think about their actions.

Its a fairly useless system

I only race in public servers and am usually grade c.

Why? because if people take me out, I exact retribution invariably! And enjoy a good heated tussle. But sadly in most cars contact means an instant spin so you rarely get to tussle properly.

But sometimes on some servers the amount of contact is rather ridiculous, to the point that no-one takes any notice of any flags. I mean I don't sometimes, but for it to happen with every single lapper is hilarious!

It's not the best policy the one I play with and leads to bans on some servers, but if your server is full of aliens, why make it public quite honestly, its fairly clear people are going to get in your way and take you out, so why bother? there are numerous places to race with people who are never going to hit you and move over the insatnt a blue is waved, so just race there.

Leave publics to people like me who like the odd rumble

The best racing I have come across is on the StreetFight servers, ac-sf.net. and they generally race during the times your available. There are a few quick guys, and a lot of regulars so the racing is intense and quite often side by side. So you should have Helicorsa installed and learn how to use it properly. A little offline practice with the combo you want to drive before joining the server also would help.

If you treat your car like it was real and absolutely try to avoid any and all contact you will have a great time, and some great racing. If you come with an attitude like Rob Emery you will get kicked because retaliation is not permitted and the server is moderated very strictly. It is also generally MR AB, or MR A only.

Check out this race from a few days ago, I had 85% Attack Range and 0 Contact Points. Attack range is driving within 20meters of another car, Contact points are given for contacts. For more info on Minorrating check out this thread - http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/minorating-com-drivers-thread.25732/

I look forward to racing with you on the streetfight server.

The best racing I have come across is on the StreetFight servers, ac-sf.net. and they generally race during the times your available.[snip]
Agreed.
And I Iike the video - the fact that everyone made it through T1 is the first clue that the server isn't full of wreckers :-D
(Btw, you should update Helicorsa - the new version has improved net code for the colours and it also has no flickering at the start of the race.)

I don't know whether to laugh or despair about what you said @Rob Every - though I guess if you're enjoying it then what the heck. But do you really not mind having someone decide to turn your racing session into a game of dodgems? Personally, if I want a destruction derby, I'll find a server that offers that. Mostly I want close, clean racing. On servers that offer that, you will most certainly be unwelcome if you engage in revenge wrecking. (On most servers, a driver that hits you will have done it through incompetence, not malice.) You will also find that MR works against you.

My view is that MR is pretty useful. The AB servers are much cleaner than the average public server. Even the ABC servers are not too bad.

It really does not bother me much no, maybe in a longer race it does near the end, but I like the cut and thrust and the up and down in public servers honestly. It's good fun, and though none of you want to hear this, taking someone out who has ruined your race is rather satisfying!! Sorry but it's true!!!

My problem is I watch contact stock car racing as a hobby, and used to race online doing it, so you get used to it and in some servers it can get you places and also bring out flags to allow you to get back places!

I find the racing in AC far from great, you are either faster or slower than a guy, and I rarely get to race properly, in fact I can count the times I have had what I call a really good race in AC on one hand and have 3 spare. I found the best game for online racing was Race 07 oddly, had some amazing duels on there routinely, but it being touring cars contact was inevitable and some people got the hump so those of us who loved a rubbin is racing scrap were often kicked and banned.

As I say, I am grade C, and never likely to be higher, but possibly lower. I never race in clean servers, and if I do I usually get bored and quit.

I am not slow, but also not a freak, and there are plenty of those playing AC, and the thing I never get is servers that are clearly set up to attract these alien types, that are public! There are countless noobs playing the game all the time, blokes on pads, even keyboard, and then top 4 are guys doing 2.16's at Spa! WTF are you doing there!

As I say its horses for courses, the lack of content and rooms online means its tough to find variety too.

The best racing I have come across is on the StreetFight servers, ac-sf.net. and they generally race during the times your available.
Will definitely try that one out, thanks for the tip.
As i miss racecraft and am very aware of it i am not a very agressive driver and generally give lots of room and rather back out than risking contact mid-corner.

Hope they also have some race cars in the mix as i don't like street cars racing.

There is some illusion on the head of the creator of this app. He or she believed that the Minor Rating could act similar to Iracing system, but, without the Iracing servers, without forcing everyone to use them and recomplishment the pilots using the system. Minorrating is broking because it is incomplete, there is not the structure that makes these kind of things works.

• Deleted member 379375

There is some illusion on the head of the creator of this app. He or she believed that the Minor Rating could act similar to Iracing system, but, without the Iracing servers, without forcing everyone to use them and recomplishment the pilots using the system. Minorrating is broking because it is incomplete, there is not the structure that makes these kind of things works.

Agreed, I think it ihas all the elements to be good other than it needs to be enforced on alll servers,servers should HAVE to implement an MR grade or pair oif adjacent grades. People would still coalesce around populatedservers but be separated by ability. The problem with choice due to low numbers online is a real one, my hope is that online pubic servers would be more popular if the racing was cleaner anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly think it would not make much difference if minor rating was in every server. other than removing a lot of people from trying out the game initially online.

It certainly makes no difference to me choosing where to race.

And let's be clear here, if you are a serious racer and absolutely hate being touched, taken out, first corner jockeyed there are many, many places you can race if you choose to.

I find publics fun. They can be immensely frustrating yes, but I don't like being tied to times, structure or rules. I like the cut and thrust, some of the best races I have ever had in AC have been on totally open servers in recent times, even on road car based ones.

I don't get why you often get little groups of aliens in publics, perhaps testing or seeing how the other half live!!

The thing is that a huge part of the sim-racing community is not ready or do not see any advantage in rating systems such as MR, Irating or the system PCars 2 uses now. They just want to hop in a race without being rated. That’s why you don’t see many higher rated servers in PCars 2 now, nearly two month after its launch. If you don’t force this rating upon your userbase the majority won’t use it. They’re afraid, they’re unable to drive clean, they’re uninterested…whatever. But they do not see the benefits in the long term: clean online racing, respect for each other. So far only Iracing offers clean online racing on a regularly basis (league racing not counted in).

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 96 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 71 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 74 9.8%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 47 6.2%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 105 13.9%