Minor Update Released and New Track Announced for iRacing

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing Belle Isle Street Track Preview 1.jpg

iRacing has recently announced another new street course location, with the developers expecting to add the Detroit Grand Prix track as early as this June!

Regular location of for both IndyCar and IMSA Sportscar racing, Belle Isle in Detroit is a tight and twisting semi permanent street course location that often plays host to dramatic and incident packed racing action, something iRacing will be hopeful of replicating once the circuit hits the simulation potentially as early as this coming June.

Although remaining slightly sketchy on the exact expected date of release, Detroit does look pretty advanced in its development if the below images are anything to go by, leaving fans hopeful of a release to the public build of the simulation sooner rather than later...

iRacing Belle Isle Street Track Preview 2.jpg

iRacing Belle Isle Street Track Preview 3.jpg iRacing Belle Isle Street Track Preview 4.jpg iRacing Belle Isle Street Track Preview 5.jpg

As well as the big new track announcement, yesterday saw the first light of day for a new patch build release, welcoming to the world a minor update around three of the current GT3 cars and a couple of bug fixes related to rolling start issues. Full notes can be seen below:

Season 2 Patch 5 Release Notes:

Race Control
  • Fixed an issue with rolling starts at Road Course tracks with a separate start line, where if the green drops in the same 1/60th of a second that the pace car crosses the finish line, all the drivers who had not yet crossed the finish line would become a lap up on the cars who had already crossed the finish line. This is very unlikely to happen at most tracks, but, for example, at Monza last week, the configuration of the start and finish lines and the pit lane are exactly wrong so that the pace car is often exactly at that wrong spot for this bug to occur. Monza is also on many series' schedules for the remainder of the season, so it was important to get this fix out.
Audi R8 LMS GT3
  • Slightly increased the toughness of the floor to reduce damage from bottoming.
BMW Z4 GT3
  • Slightly increased the toughness of the floor to reduce damage from bottoming.
Mercedes-AMG GT3

iRacing.com is an online racing simulation that features monthly subscription fees and additional paid content, exclusive to PC.

Check out the iRacing sub forum for more of the latest news and discussions regarding the massive multiplayer online service.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Looking forward to Belle Isle raceway? Any other circuits you would particularly like to see added to the sim in the future? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
The quality of their tracks is second to none and so is the car interior details. This is why it's worth paying for iRacing, quality over quantity, any day. Also, their unmatched online system, regular updates and fixes, amazing FFB and physics, top quality content... what's not to like.
Totally agree!
Those who say AC or PC2 have better graphics than iRacing are either ignorant, blind, or simply lying.
Let alone the fact that iRacing has been out for 10 years and the servers are still populated every day. I would love to see how AC or PC2 multiplayer participation holds up 5 years from now.
It's well worth the price. After participation credits and discounts my monthly membership comes to $1.84
That's a no brainer.

Last edited:
it never fails to amaze me how just every single iRacing thread is bogged down by some fellow complaining about the service's pricetag. I utterly fail to see why soemeone should bother with news about the game if one does not like the game in the first place.
I, for example, bought rFactor2 the day it was out because i had been looking forward to it for ages, was hugely disappointed, tried to get back in twice, was disappointed twice again and so left it for the time being. Now, would I ever join any old rF2 thread to complain about my bad experience, totally unrelated to the thread topic? why would I do that? beats me.

The quality of their tracks is second to none and so is the car interior details. This is why it's worth paying for iRacing, quality over quantity, any day. Also, their unmatched online system, regular updates and fixes, amazing FFB and physics, top quality content... what's not to like.

I agree, I much prefer the racing physics of this SIM over any other. After racing in iRacing I find it hard to jump back into AC or RREx. The cars in those sims now feel arcade. Just finished up a Spec Racer Ford heat at Philip Island. Amazing track detail!

Wild idea: releasing a single player offline version of iRacing on Steam for 59 bucks. And make a paid subscription service for those who wants to play online. That would sell like bottled water.

It's a beautiful looking SIM no doubt, the pricing is irrelevant to me as the content is pretty sweet. The problems come with out of date content, cars that aren't used anymore and dying series.

That road course is going to be insane for pile ups, I can't wait to watch them!

I agree, I much prefer the racing physics of this SIM over any other. After racing in iRacing I find it hard to jump back into AC or RREx. The cars in those sims now feel arcade. Just finished up a Spec Racer Ford heat at Philip Island. Amazing track detail!

since i have iRacing membership i can't drive AC, R3E, or rF2 (very ugly).
Iracing is so heavy compared to all others simulations. (the price is heavy too = 700$ to unlock all)

it never fails to amaze me how just every single iRacing thread is bogged down by some fellow complaining about the service's pricetag. I utterly fail to see why soemeone should bother with news about the game if one does not like the game in the first place.
Could be because some of us signed up years ago and after spending hundreds of dollars 'supporting the devs' we are frustrated that ten tire models later the game still feels like crap to drive.

Physics, FFB, cost, static time of day/weather conditions, single tire compound, no punctures or flat spots, etc....

It's not as bad as that, the ffb is good, the day night transitions are coming and the tyre model is constantly evolving.

Cost is subjective, and they offer regular offers to rekindle subscriptions. Participation credits also help you keep the cost down.

The tyre model needs work and it'll be interesting to see if they do include flat spots punctures and compounds, I feel they must if they want to keep up with their competitionale.

Hopefully the changing weather will come as part of the day night transitions, certainly the temperature should change even if full blown monsoon isn't simulated straight away.

There are a lot of issues with iracing, but it's no better or worse than other titles out there. Just people like to hate. I like all sims and don't blindly pigeon hole myself to my favourite and bemoan the competition.

Reactions: F_B
Yes, there are many things which Iracing should improve but overall it’s a good package imo. The online racing system is probably Iracings best POS. I’m curious what they’ll do with their next tire model and how day/night transition will work out.

... ten tire models later the game still feels like crap to drive.
as long as 4,000 people sign up each night European time, I'm fine and dandy, had three superfun events with close fair competition in three different series this week, online bliss.
having never sat in a racecar, the physics model to me feels just fine especially the weight transfer. but i obviously have little to no idea about tire behaviour in a gt3 car at full speed in monza's parabolica, so for me, any guess is as good as the other :)

as long as 4,000 people sign up each night European time, I'm fine and dandy, had three superfun events with close fair competition in three different series this week, online bliss.
having never sat in a racecar, the physics model to me feels just fine especially the weight transfer. but i obviously have little to no idea about tire behaviour in a gt3 car at full speed in monza's parabolica, so for me, any guess is as good as the other :)

hello
he did not talk about weight transfer (which is very well reproduced in iracing) but tires and the model of this one!
I do not know if in real life you have a propulsion car (I did it with a bmw E92 2.0) you go on a big empty place and at low speed you controlled a "drift" with your accelerator .. ..
after 2-3 minutes you realize that controlling a glide at low speed is really not very difficult.
now ,You do the same thing on IRacing and you do for example on AMS ...

after, come back mark your impressions on the physical model of the tire in this "simulation";)

ps : how many racers online the night on Lotus 49 server and 90 % of the others server ? :p

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 349 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 243 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years