MINI Friday @ Portimao - Friday March 26th 2010

Feb 16, 2010
Mini + Shorter Tracks = More Fun

Oh One more Extremely long track

Let's make it short this time ? :tongue:
Ledenon (2008)

Laptime: 1;37 (qual) Short enough!
It's a fun track, espacialy for this mini cooper car
Also ... what about doing 2 x "sprint" races this time out to make things a little more varied??
After "Racing" or should I Say driving(ok Crashing /Driving:smile:) around Sachsenring I'm looking forward to Portimao.

That said I have to agree shorter tracks or a couple of sprint races would be a bit more varied and Fun. Bumper to Bumper, wheel to wheel action and overtaking are the most exciting and FUN parts of racing. The trouble with the long tracks is that even if you get a Full Grid, often after the first lap or 3 the cars spread out, cars crash out and the "race" becomes a lonely solo affair with little action. An 80 min race plus practice and Qualifying can mean well over 2 hours sitting in front of a PC screen(not recommended)going round a track on your own. If you spend several hours during the week and just before the race practising and then get dumped out of the race on the 1st Lap (often through no fault of your own) it's a real pisser. Thats tough in real life Racing but we are meant to be playing Fun Friday Night Sim Racing. A 2nd race at least gives you a shot a racing if you DNF in the first race. The other alternative is to turn down/off the damage so hours of practice are not wasted so easily. I'm certainly not against long tracks, I just don't think they are particularly suited to the MINI.

A proper vote on tracks might be helpful as the track can be decided before you've had a chance to make a suggestion or read the thread.

János Ócsai

100RPM
Feb 19, 2009
I think I will join this event (hope to finish work in time)
Tried Portimao Short with the Mini, and it seems to be fun with the downhill braking points and added chicanes.
I have only been on sprint races, so I'm asking for a bit of help. What is better: 1 or 2 pitstops?

Dietmar

1000RPM
Jun 22, 2008
I think I will join this event (hope to finish work in time)
Tried Portimao Short with the Mini, and it seems to be fun with the downhill braking points and added chicanes.
I have only been on sprint races, so I'm asking for a bit of help. What is better: 1 or 2 pitstops?
Planned stop only one, is perfectly fine.

Are there more editions of that track. I only know that thing, that you need little bit more than 2 min for a lap with the Mini!?!?

Senad Subasic

8000RPM
Feb 22, 2010
There is the regular and the short version. I'm assuming we'll be using the regular, since it hasn't been indicated otherwise. That's the one that takes a bit over 2 minutes.

János Ócsai

100RPM
Feb 19, 2009
The short version is only a little bit (0.1 km) shorter. The difference is only tho chicanes added to both end of the finish staight. It makes a few seconds slower laptime, but adds more takeover points. :smile:

Omer Said

Weresloth
Premium
Oct 28, 2008
Erm there is a server but it says Unknown track. I have Autodromo Algarve, do i need the short version ?

Dietmar

1000RPM
Jun 22, 2008
For me the same, assume the track version is newer.... currently downloading

The latest update is pretty new! (7 Mar 2010)

Omer Said

Weresloth
Premium
Oct 28, 2008
downloading now. Arf it seems that won't be downloaded in enough time :frown:

Dietmar

1000RPM
Jun 22, 2008
The Location is called different, your previous setup was stored under port.... (something) now under Algarve

Simon Gardner

1000RPM
Feb 12, 2009
Damn internet lost connection again :frown:- was having a nice battle until then. I was determined to make it to the end aswell. Oh well always next time :rolleyes:

Remco de Wildt

3000RPM
May 16, 2009
Pff was my first time with the mini's and this event...its a long race damn :smile:

Quali went good. 3rd place...had a good start to 2nd...but lost my pos in the following laps....had great fun, was able to keep 3rd till 15 min. left on the clock and the 1 cut to many :rolleyes: and received a stop and go...
Finished 5th and very happy with that.....lost my concentration at the end of the race but enjoyed it!!

Till next time!!

Omer Said

Weresloth
Premium
Oct 28, 2008
Wooh that was really funny. First laps were nice battles with Senad, Dennis, Ant and some others. After several laps, me and Ant Creasy had an ultimate fight lasted for lots of laps. After the pitstops we are seperated but then again found each other :wink:. Unfortunately Ant disconnected, sorry mate :(. And till the end of the race that was lonely again .

Thank you Bram, RD, Ant and everyone made this race exciting and funny!

Dietmar

1000RPM
Jun 22, 2008
Cool race chaps!

Soory Hugo for the bump in the beginning, but no way I could avoid you! We actually had some more paint exchange also with Tobias, but I think all fair and good fighting! Also with Marius (also sorry for the bump)!

Great racing, thanks all!

Senad Subasic

8000RPM
Feb 22, 2010
Bad race, again.

The first few laps were really fun, nice battles everywhere :).

But then I hit someone, I aplogize for that, and hope you didn't have damage. I had suspension issues from that hit, and was falling down fast, so decided to change my strategy, crawled around the track till my pit window opened, and went in. Filled it up, and had to repair the damage, was lapped then. After that, lap times improved a bit, but the tires suffered.

2-3 laps till the end, I got the tire wear message :o. But managed to finish in 14th, i.e. not last, me happy :biggrin:

János Ócsai

100RPM
Feb 19, 2009
First Mini race for me. The car, the track and the race format was all new for me. I was surprised that I qualied in the middle (12th)
This car is so easy to drive! It was rewarding after the E90 WTCC.
Feared that I will be too tired for the race, but I could do quite consistent laps till the finish.
Had very good battles all the way (with Sebastian, István, Thomas and also some others in the first laps), there wasn't much lapping alone.
Sorry for the contacts!
See you next time...:smile:

Lee Downham

1000RPM
Jun 16, 2008
Great race tonight ... will do my ranking and confidence well if nothing else.

Joined mid-quali but had no setup so just loaded one from another circuit and twiddled a bit ... gears were a bit off but with 15 mins to get the car running it was about the best I could do ... which BTW I thought was not bad (4th or 5th or something in quali).

Had a flyer off the line but lap 1 was messy ... I believe one particular driver who I think must be becoming known for his dodgem car overtaking "style" caused a fair bit of it and nearly sent me into the weeds as part of his antics. Was then back in 6th or something but buckled down and got chasing Nigel and the front guys down.
Gotta apologise to Hugo Gonçalves I believe it was ... I might have braked a bit hard for the hairpin by the VIP stand and he didn't seem to be expecting it so slammed in to my rear end (busting my suspension but not too badly it would seem).
Anyways ... I got Nigel then was catching Nicolas I think it was who decided to pit way early just as I was thinking about the pass (made my life easier :D) ... and I think I was catching up on Remco in 3rd place as I decided it was pit time.
Disastrous pit ... chief mechanic forgot to tell them not to fix all the bent bits, so I was sat there forever.
When I came out I was in 10th or so ... right behind 8th and 9th place ... caught and threaded my way through them as carefully as possible, but after 1 lap I see Nige coming out of the pits right behind us ...
He got past them and then latched on to my bumper ... then we had a fantastic ding dong battle ... hard but fair, coupla knocks but I think each pass we made was fair and square. Enjoyed that more than I have enjoyed any racing for a long time ... thanks bud!
You kept me very honest for the next 15 or 20 minutes, but I was lucky that my setup or driving was kinder to my tyres, so could pull away towards the end (had noticed this in first stint so was hoping for more of the same in 2nd, and it worked).

Anyways ... towards the end I saw the gap to Remco in 3rd tumbling so I pushed harder ... reading up a couple of posts it seems he pushed a bit too hard and landed himself a stop and go - keeping it clean pays off, so Nige and I stormed past in last 10 min's to take 3rd and 4th.

Great racing ... thx to RD and all, big thanks too for the boys being lapped for letting us through without any hassles (Omer ... no need to slow THAT much tho :D).

Moarrr I say :thumbup: