AC Mini Cooper JCW @ Imola - Weds 1st April 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Man I suck with making setups. Why didn't I try that? :notworthy: Unbelievable that I qualified 10th.
Is it some kind of basic principle that with FWD cars you shift the brake bias more to the front than with RWD cars? Or is this specific for this model of the Mini Cooper?
I'm taking a guess that 'cos it's a short wheelbase the weight transfer away from the rear under braking is the reason it could snap so unexpectedly - the sudden 'unweighting', if that makes sense?

My brake bal was 82 front, softened rear bump, lowered and dumbed down the energetic arse end (1 bump), but it got decent lap times - it still felt on the edge but perfectly manageable, could lap consistently in the mid 59's during the day, but not when it's my bedtime :laugh: Not the fastest obviously, but setup is below if anyone wants to try:)

Attachments

• Imola wip 59.4 jp.ini
    1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Which brake bias did you all use because I used only one notch up (73)?

I used my Brands Hatch GP setup, if I remember correctly I could have used stock at Brands, why then this big change in the cars overall feel and response.
I just could not get it to do anything at this circuit, the Arthritis was playing up the car was completely different to Brands Hatch, lost the will to live.:rolleyes:

So where the brake balance was I do not know.

I suppose there is no high speed braking required at Brands Hatch.

I think I had a hissy fit with the car. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Thanks guys. I struggled especially in the chicane on the hill. Everyone was faster there and had a better exit. I will try the setup from John to see if I can improve there.

I guess a full grid presents a few 'challenges':whistling: now and again, though for those I raced with I had a blast, so thank you all for being so fair. Loved the end of race 2 with @Raresch , dammit:p you were nailing corner exits so well, I couldn't get the momentum to get close enough.

Let me tell you the story of the Red Mini Dragon.

Last night I've started an adventure for the second time that night. Many adventurers gathered, some faster than others, but between them, one was on the point of transmutation - @Medilloni was it's name -. As I started my adventure pretty well, I had to fight the azure Italian sailor - @Giovanni Chiarotto - , the green Irish celt - @GEO147 - and the British rider of Nilfgaard - @DiemPerdidi - . After some time on the paths and hills of San Marino, I saw it in the mirror, coming faster and faster, with white neck, black wings and red eyes: the Red Mini Dragon. Trowing smoke from his legs, was closer and closer, bigger and bigger in my mirror. You would say a fire dragon will get stuck in the waters of Acque Minerali valley, but this dragon was there the fastest. Following legendary corners like Tamburello and Villeneuve with ease, were no match for the exists of long straights, were the Dragon could spread the mighty wings and catch me. In the final laps, took a focus potion, and with the last drop of gas, took the place in front of the Red Mini Dragon.

At least, that's how I saw it :))

Here's my qualy setup. Brake bias at 78 and Diff Preload at 50. In Race 2 I increased Preload to 60.

When testing, I experienced, that a low preload made the rear very nasty under braking. The same one would expect if the brake bias is too much at the rear. I think the coast diff is set very "agressive" for this car, so the lower the preload setting is, the earlier the coast setting comes into account, making the rear nervous.

Maybe I'm totally wrong, but that's how I felt it and what I read out of the preload hint in the setup screen. Trial and error proved it for me, because with preload at 0, the car was undriveable but preload at maximum, the car was very tight.

So with more preload, the car became more stable and the brake bias could be gently used to help the car turn in und braking.

Attachments

• R-V1.16-b-harder.ini
    1 KB · Views: 75

Last night I've started an adventure for the second time that night. Many adventurers gathered, some faster than others, but between them, one was on the point of transmutation - @Medilloni was it's name -. As I started my adventure pretty well, I had to fight the azure Italian sailor - @Giovanni Chiarotto - , the green Irish celt - @GEO147 - and the British rider of Nilfgaard - @DiemPerdidi - . After some time on the paths and hills of San Marino, I saw it in the mirror, coming faster and faster, with white neck, black wings and red eyes: the Red Mini Dragon. Trowing smoke from his legs, was closer and closer, bigger and bigger in my mirror. You would say a fire dragon will get stuck in the waters of Acque Minerali valley, but this dragon was there the fastest. Following legendary corners like Tamburello and Villeneuve with ease, were no match for the exists of long straights, were the Dragon could spread the mighty wings and catch me. In the final laps, took a focus potion, and with the last drop of gas, took the place in front of the Red Mini Dragon.

I had that from both you and John. You drove very very well Raresch, we were door to door a good bit without ever touching which was great. You eventually got me as you were a lot faster than me. Then John came and got me quite easily and I could see yo u both ahead battling but just couldnt catch you!

Here's my qualy setup. Brake bias at 78 and Diff Preload at 50. In Race 2 I increased Preload to 60.

When testing, I experienced, that a low preload made the rear very nasty under braking. The same one would expect if the brake bias is too much at the rear. I think the coast diff is set very "agressive" for this car, so the lower the preload setting is, the earlier the coast setting comes into account, making the rear nervous.

Maybe I'm totally wrong, but that's how I felt it and what I read out of the preload hint in the setup screen. Trial and error proved it for me, because with preload at 0, the car was undriveable but preload at maximum, the car was very tight.

So with more preload, the car became more stable and the brake bias could be gently used to help the car turn in und braking.

I had the diff down at 10 for qualli and BB at 75 and couldnt get a lap in at all. No idea how Han was putting in the times he was with such a low BB either.

Thanks for the setups guys :thumbsup:

Haha, thanks Raresch, you brightened my day :laugh: You're obviously a poet, and didn't know it:p

On a side note: I was surprised how many people differed with the gearing - I used the same as Brands which was not too bad, but a couple of cars were much faster at the end of he straight. I did try longer gears but thought I'd get eaten alive up the hill from Tosa & out of Variente Alta.

Oh, what a nice race-evening, had battles with so many people, can't remember everyone!
Regarding brakes setup, I was with 74 - 90 %. It was fine, except for two spins I had (one per race): maybe I should have moved bias a little bit towards front. But it worths mentioning that I'm driving with a load cell brake pedal set, which makes braking much easier (and closer to a real car). Seriously, that pedal set was probably the best investment I ever did for simracing.

Thanks @Medilloni for organizing, see you next race! ;)

Oh, what a nice race-evening, had battles with so many people, can't remember everyone!
Regarding brakes setup, I was with 74 - 90 %. It was fine, except for two spins I had (one per race): maybe I should have moved bias a little bit towards front. But it worths mentioning that I'm driving with a load cell brake pedal set, which makes braking much easier (and closer to a real car). Seriously, that pedal set was probably the best investment I ever did for simracing.

Thanks @Medilloni for organizing, see you next race! ;)
Really glad you enjoyed it Giovanni - next week is almost the opposite of the Mini, you can find it here - hope you can join us again :) https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/ktm-x-bow-r-mills-metropark-weds-8th-april-2020.180983/

If anyone needs help with setups for the X-Bow I can point you in the direction of some good ones that we used last time :thumbsup: (please ask in the X-Bow thread, ta)

Hey Norkin you pointed me off into the gravel at chicane in race 1. Raressch and I had been racing door to door without contact for some time and it felt like I was used as a brake for the chicane.
It's not a big deal and mistakes happen not not looking for a row. However you didn't wait for me after the contact. That's the rule.
Anyway no big deal I'm sure it was a mistake honest :thumbsup:

Hi!

I know the place and I'm sorry.. I pushed the brakes too late and hit you. There was few cars over there and I slowed down in purpose to let you pass me. I thought it was you that got ahead me, but I was wrong and noticed that later. I'm just starting racing and I didn't have any maps or radars on.. Now I have the carradar and I'll be more careful next time. Sorry

Last edited:
Hi!

I know the place and I'm sorry.. I pushed the breaks too late and hit you. There was few cars over there and I slowed down in purpose to let you pass me. I thought it was you that got ahead me, but I was wrong and noticed that later. I'm just starting racing and I didn't have any maps or radars on.. Now I have the carradar and I'll be more careful next time. Sorry
No problem at all Miika. Thanks for the message :thumbsup:

I've always loved the Mini Cup League on RD.
So last week I started up my Simbin Race 07 and started racing again. To big suprise to @Bram Hengeveld :)

This is a movie of a RD mini race in 2007 I did :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 493 39.3%