Mid-season questionnaire

I must say I agree with no DRS.

But then you are talking about simplifying the sim experience, simply due to personal tastes about 1 particular element of a sim.

I know DRS aids overtaking "artificially" in real life, but it's just as artificial to pretend that the cars are running in a vacuum IMO. And it also lets you see who the real racers are, when people overtake each other outside the DRS zone.

Someone mentioned no dirty air, that's not the way it was in FSR ever during my racing here. In FSR 2007 there was actually heavy dirty air and overtaking required much planning. Pretty much like it is now, except now we have a weak DRS effect to help a bit.

But then you are talking about simplifying the sim experience, simply due to personal tastes about 1 particular element of a sim.

I know DRS aids overtaking "artificially" in real life, but it's just as artificial to pretend that the cars are running in a vacuum IMO. And it also lets you see who the real racers are, when people overtake each other outside the DRS zone.

Last year there was no DRS, and I saw no complaints about this fact. And why is it better to have only 30% or 50% or whatever of overtakes to show who the real racers are, when you can have 100% of overtakes to do that? DRS is a gimmick brought in to make F1 more entertaining for those people who want a little Sunday entertainment, but don't really understand F1. We don't need such a thing in sim racing. Nevertheless, I don't mind it too much, but if my life depended on it, I would pick no DRS.

And nobody ever said the cars must run in a vacuum, lol. :unsure:

I was referring to the above post saying "let's have no DRS, no dirty air, but slipstream".

That is essentially running in a selective vaccuum. IMO if the game is realistic enough to reproduce real-life physics(and it real life dirty air is a major issue that DRS helps to overcome) then it's a step backwards to remove those effects arbitrarily. Might as well just race a different sim at that point?

I think we can save this debate for another time though, and let others give their views, don't want to derail :).

Someone mentioned no dirty air, that's not the way it was in FSR ever during my racing here. In FSR 2007 there was actually heavy dirty air and overtaking required much planning. Pretty much like it is now, except now we have a weak DRS effect to help a bit.

Hey John,

I think that dirty air was added during an rfactor 1 update and/or a mod change. I think the mod was changed mid season during 2006 and 2007. I don't remember which dirty air entered, but I don't think it was there from the start of 2006. So if, and that's if lol, I remember right, we had no dirty air, and no drs, just slipstream in 2006[or part of it] and 2007[or part of it].

Don't see the point to change it now.

We should study it for next season, doing proper tests, but we didn't test the wet tires neither how the dynamic weather behaves. It would be a very stupid decision moving this forward at this moment.

Don't see the point to change it now.

We should study it for next season, doing proper tests, but we didn't test the wet tires neither how the dynamic weather behaves. It would be a very stupid decision moving this forward at this moment.
Especially for a race where some untested bugs can decide the title.

Last edited:
I judged rain too difficult to drive in with current mod & current skill of drivers. Next season we can have it with more races perhaps. I recently discovered you can actually control rain strength through rF2 "humidity" variable. Again something from ISI that makes no sense, it should be named rain intensity or something...

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 385 39.8%