F1 2011 Microsoft Official Wheel - Constant Vibration

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi all,

Just wondering whether anyobdy else here has experienced a situation where the wheel gets stuck with a constant vibration. Last night in my Xbox League race I went over one of the kerbs and got the usual vibration on the wheel but this time it just stayed on. I tried turning the wheel off in my pit stop but it wouldn't go off so I just continued on with it and it did eventaully stop of it's own accord 2 laps from the end of the race but I had to race about 20 laps like it which was a real pain.

Another guy in a different division of the same league also had it happen last night.

Any ideas about it and whether there's a way to get rid of it quickly once it's occurred.

Peter I had this happen to me in my co-op the other night with Chris. I was running P2 at the time at the end of lap 2 and ran over a kerb. The FFB would not stop vibrating so I unplugged the wheel from the mains thinking the wheel would stay connected by the battery power and only the FFB would stop

Went from P2 to P10 because of the controller disconnect. The FFB only works when the wheel is plugged into the main powersupply, the batteries allow you to still use the wheel but don't have the power to run the FFB. But the batteries must have been dead or almost dead as the whole controller disconnected.

when i finally got the wheel connected again the FFB was working fine, and i didn't have the problem again (yet)

I've never experienced this particular issue but my MS wheel has done all kinds of weird things over it's lifetime, and I just chalk them up to dodgy electronics. Some things you can do to help prevent some of them are to always plug everything in before turning the wheel on, use the guide button on the wheel to power up the Xbox, and you may want to take a look at your FFB settings ingame. Not sure if you are aware that the Wheel Weight and FFB Strength sliders are reversed post-patch 2, but you may want to reduce the FFB and Wheel Weight (higher %) if you are running them high (low %). Also, I always make it a habit to pull the power supply if I'm not actually using the wheel. Hopefully it won't happen again (don't hold your breath :)), good luck!

I only experienced problems with the FFB after the xboxlive update a couple weeks ago. it caused the FFB to be non-existent at times. then they released another xboxlive update to "fix" the problem.... but it didn't fix it completely obviously.

I've never experienced this particular issue but my MS wheel has done all kinds of weird things over it's lifetime, and I just chalk them up to dodgy electronics. Some things you can do to help prevent some of them are to always plug everything in before turning the wheel on, use the guide button on the wheel to power up the Xbox, and you may want to take a look at your FFB settings ingame. Not sure if you are aware that the Wheel Weight and FFB Strength sliders are reversed post-patch 2, but you may want to reduce the FFB and Wheel Weight (higher %) if you are running them high (low %). Also, I always make it a habit to pull the power supply if I'm not actually using the wheel. Hopefully it won't happen again (don't hold your breath :)), good luck!
Thanks for the reply. I haven't experienced this reversed issue in the ffb settings. I'll have to look again but i'm sure the settings are correct for me.

@Peter Hooper

I've had this happen to me twice again since i last replied to this post. One thing i have noticed is that the issue starts with a very subtle constant vibration in the wheel. You can feel it while just sitting in the pits. If you turn the wheel slightly you can feel the FFB vibrating ever so slightly.

During this subtle vibration the controller will not shut down. I tried it both times it happened to me this weekend. I then tried to unplug from the mains again (fresh batteries in the wheel this time) the FFB stopped and the wheel stayed connected via the battery power. When i plugged the wheel back into the main power supply the FFB stopped working altogether. At that point i tried to reboot the wheel again and this time it worked.

I'm not sure what causes the subtle vibration. It must be a glitch that occurs somewhere, and might happen when you pause and un-pause, but also occurs online at the start of a game. It is unpredictable though.

Cheers Karl,

Same as you Karl I have found that you cannot shut down the controller via the Xbox button. Once this happened to me I had to switch off the Xbox which is what led me to believe that this is to do with the XBL update. It actually happened to me during an online race rather than after pausing. Thanksfully it has not happened again since that race.

Cheers Karl,

Same as you Karl I have found that you cannot shut down the controller via the Xbox button. Once this happened to me I had to switch off the Xbox which is what led me to believe that this is to do with the XBL update. It actually happened to me during an online race rather than after pausing. Thanksfully it has not happened again since that race.

I think i will start taking the advice of one of the above posters and unplug my wheel more often. It may not make a difference, but i'll see how it goes for the next couple of weeks.

Never had this problem FFB used to go off and on pre update now runs fine.
I also never run it with battery's always with power lead. With not in use I always leave the wheel in standby(you see that little green light). Never plugged in a headset in to it aswell as I run a wireless headset.

I still have to test in online mode to see if unplugging the main power will disconnect the wheel when there are fresh batteries in. If the wheel does not disconnect then that is a quick fix for constant vibration issue in online games. Then you can re-start the wheel during a pitstop to get FFB again.

I had the same problem (it seems at the same time as Peter).

The vibration was very aggressive, loud and lasted for at least 8 laps.
On previous occasions I have lost FFB completely for a few laps.
Now my wheel doesn't align.

I know wheel alignment isn't a big issue but it does feel strange when your KERS and DRS buttons are a good few degrees below where they would normally be.

I'm keeping an eye on things and will post any changes here.

I had the same problem (it seems at the same time as Peter).

The vibration was very aggressive, loud and lasted for at least 8 laps.
On previous occasions I have lost FFB completely for a few laps.
Now my wheel doesn't align.

I know wheel alignment isn't a big issue but it does feel strange when your KERS and DRS buttons are a good few degrees below where they would normally be.

I'm keeping an eye on things and will post any changes here.

the precursor to the violent consent vibration seems to be an ever so slight subtle vibration as i described above a few posts ago.

Have you reset/restarted your wheel? and is it still off-set?

the precursor to the violent consent vibration seems to be an ever so slight subtle vibration as i described above a few posts ago.

Have you reset/restarted your wheel? and is it still off-set?

Just been doing some tests and it seems to be aligned today. This is the second or third time I've powered off, but only this time it has re-aligned.

And I do recall gentle vibration before the strong vibration began.

I was also worried that my wheel was on it's way out, but it seems to be back to normal now.

Just been doing some tests and it seems to be aligned today. This is the second or third time I've powered off, but only this time it has re-aligned.

And I do recall gentle vibration before the strong vibration began.

I was also worried that my wheel was on it's way out, but it seems to be back to normal now.
The next time I feel that subtle vibration I'm going to reset the wheel before the constant vibration happens.... Hopefully it will work, don't know yet though.

Erm My FFB settings are - environmental 0%, strength 70% and weight 80%

Other settings are - everything 0% except for dead zone 3% and steering linearity 50%
env 0%?!?!!?! so you don't feel when you go over a kerb? is that was that effects? you don't feel crashes either? or violent rumble when going through the gravel?

If that is the case then no wonder it hasn't happened to you yet. it usually occurs after going over a kerb. when going over a kerb the wheel rumbles to simulate the bumps, and then it stays on like you are constantly going over a kerb. So, if you don't feel it when you go over a kerb then there is no way you could get the constant rumble error.

Vibration has started again today. Was in GP mode in China, ran off the track briefly and the vibration started gently and just got progressively worse. Disconnected the wheel in the pits, reconnected and it was fine, but only for one lap.

Touched a rumble-strip and it started again. This time it only lasted for a lap.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 139 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 195 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 380 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 518 38.6%