Micro Stuttering and Scenery Judder

I felt inspired to share my positive experience here which for both me and a friend transformed rF2 (dx11) into super smooth game play with no evidence of any "micro stuttering". I used the LimeRock Park 2012 (dx11), with Post Processing on "Low" plus the GT3 Pack with 16 ai for my tests since this track is where i experienced severe micro stuttering though other high detailed DX11 tracks gave similar effects!

Specs:
ASUS 24" 144 Hz 1ms, MSI GTX-970 Gaming 4G, AMD Phenom II X4 975 B.E. (3.6 Ghz), Ripjaws 4GBx2.

Only needed to use the one step from the article which was to use the "RivaTuner Statistics Server" and set the "Framerate limit" to 60 fps to equal my monitor's refresh rate though my monitor can achieve up to 144 Hz but my MSI GTX-970 and CPU can't maintain a consistant 144 fps using the GT3 Pack with 16 ai.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Feel free to set your Framerate limit to whatever your Monitor's refresh rate has available and which your GPU can "Consistently Maintain".

(Note: No V-Sync used in my tests but you may need both V-Snyc & Framerate limiter for best results)

I sincerely hope this info can help others as much as it dramatically helped me and a friend, good luck!!

Micro stuttering and Scenery Judder - Note: i only used the Framerate limit suggestion in RivaTuner & didn't need to use the other suggestions mentioned in this article!
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...ing-and-Scenery-Judder-Two-cures-on-my-system

I use the newest version 7.0.2 Final - located at Guru3D.com Edit: Newer versions now available since this posting.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html

How to Use Rivatuner (Afterburner) On Screen Display and More
http://www.overclock.net/forum/34-o...ivatuner-afterburner-screen-display-more.html

Last edited:
You don't need to use Rivatuner. FPS limiter is editable in Player.Json.
The article suggests that usually the Framerate limiters included in games don't properly do the best job as intended. As an example: My first attempt was to see if rF2's Framerate limiter would work but it didn't have even the smallest impact in stopping my Micro stuttering but then i installed RivaTuner with little hopes this was going to work any differently but was pleasently surprised with my awesome results.

I'am not stating this will be a cure all for everyone but thought i would share my experiences so that hopefully RivaTuner can help someone else with similar issues as mine!

Last edited:
People have been reporting problems with Rivatuner on the official forums, when they turn it off then everything is fine so just beware.
Hi Marc....my experience using the newest version "7.0.2 Final" works flawlessly for both me and my friend and been using it for the past 2 weeks in our tests. I wanted to give RivaTuner a few weeks test before recommending it here! Maybe some of those people who experienced problems with RivaTuner had background processes from other software that was interfering with RivaTuner.

I also been using it's features to log in real time my CPU and GPU usages plus temps then sent to the log file which can quickly indicate if you have any sort of bottlenecking or other issues. "Love it's features"

Last edited:
The article suggests that usually the Framerate limiters included in games don't properly do the best job as intended. As an example: My first attempt was to see if rF2's Framerate limiter would work but it didn't have even the smallest impact in stopping my Micro stuttering but then i installed RivaTuner with little hopes this was going to work any differently but was pleasently surprised with my awesome results.

I'am not stating this will be a cure all for everyone but thought i would share my experiences so that hopefully RivaTuner can help someone else with similar issues as mine!

In my case, limit FPS to 60 doesn't solve the stutering for both RF2 and AC. A little bit lower than 60, for example 58 is perfect. Maybe because my monitor is 60hz, not 144hz.

I can fully confirm that putting Rivatuner on 60 fps makes rF2 run silky smooth with v-sync and gives super smooth framerates. For years rF2 was giving a not so fluid image. Landscape jutter with sharp corners and framedrops all over the place, even with v-sync on. While iRacing and AMS run at happily 150+ fps, rF2 would always be jerking with the framerate. All this is gone now for me. I could even put my graphic settings from low-med to high and still have not one framedrop. THANKS A ZILLION FOR FINDING THIS OUT! For sure need to address this at the rF2 office, as this is total proof it's not my bit aging system but something wrong in the rF2 rendering pipeline.

Last edited:
Also confirming that Rivatuner fps limiter fixes any micro-stutter. In-game fps limiter should not be used. I'm playing @ 4K maxed out on a G-Sync monitor and I've set the rivatuner limiter to 57 fps. In-game setting, I set V-Sync to "none". Then in the NVidia CP, I created a profile for rFactor2.exe and forced "Vertical sync" to "on" (that's the recommanded thing to do with G-Sync for "frametime compensation").

I know your not running triples but I had stutter of background objects when car moved slow. I tried frame limits, v-synch, lowered the in-game graphics settings, etc. nothing seemed to work. Finally I turned off Nvidia Surround and much better, might try the Riva stuff again now. I think this is a software issue as opposed to not enough hardware horsepower (1070) as DX11 beta worked fine a month ago and even running a single monitor with Surround on caused stuttering. I suspect 397 will track down and optimize but I don't want to spend hours finding work-a-rounds when AC, RRE, and PC2 run fine. Just have to wait it out until they optimize, which I know can painful given the extent of the issue. I will try new GeForce drivers see what happens.

Just a FYI you can run PC2 in triples without Nvidia surround and actually performs better. I don't believe you can run AC, RRE or RF2 without surround on.

Att+Tab, focus on the game , use video drivers GeForce, v388.71 and these settings if SLI is the works. I get +300FPS (Chase view) max post/AA details with my system. Please note, NVidia drivers make a world of difference. Please use the one I have suggested, Newer drivers cut into my FPS by more than +50%. especially v390's

System Specs: MSI Z270 Krait Gaming Mother board A.60 BIOS, Water Cooled 280mm Radiator intel i7700k @ 4.2mhz, 4.5mhz turbo, 32 GIG G-Skill 3866mhz DDR 4, OS Win 10 64bit on Dedicated 256 gig M.2 Samsung 960 Pro SSD nVme, Games Dedicated drive 1TB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro SSD nVme, Apps on WD 1 TB SATA III SSD. Video 2x Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti-11G in HB SLI/Custom water cooled individually. Monitor, 27" ASUS (PG278QR) 1ms, 2560X1440-(2K) 165MHZ- G-Sync off.
334swlx.jpg

1st Officer PACO

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back