Michael Schumacher

Well Ferrari International Assistance arent exactly gonna say no are they, how come Romain Grosjean isnt allowed to test the Renault then before he sits in it whenever Renault race.

Because Piquet hasn't been officially announced as replaced. Also, Reanult didn't apply for testing permission. They might after Schumacher.

Also, Schumacher has been gone from F1 for a while, Grosjean has driven F1 cars in roadshows and tests. The session is just for training, not for testing.

Schumi takes the wheel! :)

Michael Schumacher returned to the wheel of a Formula One car on Friday when he tested a 2007 Ferrari in the first step of his comeback.

The seven-times world champion is poised to fill in for injured Ferrari driver Felipe Massa at the European Grand Prix in Valencia on Aug. 23 and will continue to race until the Brazilian is able to return.

The 40-year-old, who retired at the end of 2006, drove 67 laps at the Mugello track near Florence.

"It's a great thing getting back on the track with an F1 even if this was a car from 2007," he said after the session.

"After a couple of laps I was able to drive constant lap times and I'm happy with the performance. Now we've got to see how my body and the muscles respond in the next days."

F1 testing is banned during the season but Schumacher was allowed to drive an old car as he undergoes a programme of preparation to make sure he is fit to race in Valencia.

Media have speculated Formula One bosses will bend the rules and permit him to test this year's car before Valencia given the special circumstances.

It's only fair. Just to try the '09 car for a while, as it's so different.

Now Massa is making such a speedy recovery, he joked "Let's see if I let him! (replace me)". I am not exactly saying I want Massa to miss the rest of the races, but I would REALLY like to see Schumacher go around Spa and Monza :D

Only thing to say now is

MS vs FA vs KR vs LH. Who will Win? :)

MW or SV probabaly :)

Really excited about this although once again the press are blowing it out of proportion a bit as usual. I dont think he will win, there is no way he can get to grips with such a different car so quickly, I reckon he will do well to come away from Valencia with points...

Surely they can simulate a few of the 09 characteristics by running less wing, slapping slicks on it (the 07 car) and increasing the revs/power with a button press on the wheel. Ferrari also have top notch simulators that can very realistically give Schumacher a sense of what to expect.

I don't recall Torro Rosso asking for permission for their new boy to try out the 09 car before he got in it last weekend. Even if he tested pre-season the car has evolved since then and may handle significantly different now.

Once again we see that Ferrari get different treatment to other teams and frankly I find it galling. Don't get me wrong, I am excited at the prospect of seeing Schumacher race again but I see no reason for him to test the F60. Ferrari will use such a session to gather data that the other teams are not able to collect.

I was never a big Schumacher fan, less so after the Hill incident at Adelaide and even less so after his attempt to take Villeneuve out. I am however a racing fan and would love to see how the German gets on for the remainder of the 09 season.

I don't recall Torro Rosso asking for permission for their new boy to try out the 09 car before he got in it last weekend. Even if he tested pre-season the car has evolved since then and may handle significantly different now.
It's really because Schumacher hasn;'t driven in a racing car for a long time. Sure he tested for a day or two, but Alguasuari has been racing in other series' before F1. Schumacher just need to train himself, get fit. Also, since he needs to pass a medical.

He doesn't need the F60 for that though. Like I said they can alter the settings on an 07 car to give him an approximation of grip levels. Besides which, drivers of Schumacher's calibre don't need much to get back into the groove.

I have no objection to him getting some laps under his belt, I just don't trust Ferrari to not use the opportunity to help improve their car whilst others cannot.

• Andrew Evans

I have no objection to him getting some laps under his belt, I just don't trust Ferrari to not use the opportunity to help improve their car whilst others cannot.

i hardly think one day of testing is going to give ferrari a devastating advantage...

So you are saYin the 07 car is basically the same as the 09 cars besides a few minor alterations?? Im sorry but are you blind??

No Ross, I'm not blind, perhaps you should have read my post more carefully. I said they could approximate the grip level of the 09 car with some changes to the 07 car. Down force is a quantifiable measurement and as such it can be reproduced by set-up alone. To a certain degree, discounting variables like track temperature, wind direction and surface properties, grip level is also quantifiable ergo reproducible.

If we are going to get into a flame war about semantics then I suppose all F1 cars are basically the same, as you and I are basically the same. You have two arms, two legs and a head, as do I. The 07 car has four wheels, two lots of wings and an engine, just like the 09 car. In that sense he doesn't require the 09 car to reintergrate himself into F1 racing.

And again Andrew I never said it would give them a devastating advantage, indeed I mentioned nothing about advantage at all. I said it would allow them to gather data when other teams cannot. The point I was attempting to make was that having made the rules last year about no testing it goes out the window when Ferrari want it to. Other teams do not seem to have this ability to circumvent rules, I realise I am barking up the wrong tree on this one round here though.
:thanks:

I don't think that should be the problem for Michael to get used to any f1 or racing car on the scheduled testing sessions... It only would be a safety testing because he didn't drive for 2 years, and 35 laps at mugello means nothing. Algersuari didn't get testing permission also, but hey he's an active driver! I think it's only some afraid of him (msc)...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back