Michael Schumacher gets 10-place grid penalty

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Michael Schumacher was handed a 10-place grid penalty for the Japanese Grand Prix after he slammed into the back of Jean-Eric Vergne’s Toro Rosso just after the half way mark in the Singapore Grand Prix.

The incident occurred just after racing had resumed at the Marina Bay Street Circuit following a safety car period brought about when Narain Karthikeyan dumped his HRT into the wall on lap 30.

The safety car left the circuit on lap 37 and Vergne quickly began to exert pressure on Sauber’s Sergio Pérez in the battle for ninth position. As the pair tussled, Schumacher, directly behind the pair, failed to judge the correct braking point and smashed into the back of the Frenchman’s car.

Called before the stewards, Schumacher admitted the error and thus will take a 10-place drop in Japan, the officials remarking that it was “the second similar offence by the driver this season”.

Of the incident Schumacher said: “It was obviously a very unfortunate ending to my race when I ran into the car of Vergne who accepted my apology straight afterwards. I am not totally sure why it happened like this; I was braking but the deceleration was not as strong as it usually would be, and I could not avoid running into the car in front of me.”
View the Post on the Blog

"I was braking but the deceleration was not as strong as it usually would be, and I could not avoid running into the car in front of me.”

I love when excuses from the RL drivers are the same as we simracers used as rookies. :)
yep. not, i braked to late and locked up ...no no, that would be a sign of fault and weakness..." I accept responsibility but I need to find out why this happened..."lol

he has robbed so many wins during his career in Ferrari. I don't feel pity for Michael, he broke almost all the records in F1, it's time to retire for good now.
yup , its time retire but Formula 1 without Schumaher misses heavy driver ; although he does not win or takes any podiums but he pleases me alot

Erm, what car was Nico driving in China then?

Schumacher was running second before he was forced to retire.

By the basis that he's past it because he made an error in judgement, I am waiting for Hamilton, Grosjean and Maldonado's retirement announcements any minute now.

For goodness' sake, he may have been near perfect in the past, but everyone makes mistakes. Drama queen Central I tell ya!

Schumi robbing wins during his ferrari era? Lol, i hope you guys know he had a competitive car, also you might as well feel sorry, after all he is a 7 time world champion thru several phases of changes F1 endured, so him not having a win after all theae years does show pity.

I'm not a fan of MSC but still, his achievements are the wet dream of every current, former and future Formula 1 driver.

Sure, he made mistakes - who didn't? Did he repeat them? Sometimes.

Did he show great sportsmanship yesterday? Yes, he did. Actually just 24 hours ago when he got out of the car and immediately apologized to Vergne followed by a pat on the back.

Every driver is making mistakes and if we really want to think about the worst case: what about Singapore 2008 and Alonso "winning" said GP? :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 117 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 93 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 88 9.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 62 6.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 126 13.7%