Michael Schumacher at 50

I was estatic when he returned back to F1 after his leave of absence - a true sporting hero in my book.

Truly shocking when the news broke and severity of the accident unfolded in the coming days left me feeling numb.

I really have no interest in knowing his condition, just that by some miracle he is able to recover sufficiently to allow him to enjoy as much time with his family and friends as he can - life's too precious.

All the best Michael :)

HERO :inlove:

I hope we'll be able to see him smiling, someday.
kimiitlsun6cq4.jpg

Please nobody get me wrong here, I have 0 interest on see pictures/videos of him in a bad condition at all!, I just think they can preserve privacy and share information about his health. Why not?, if he is connected to machines, why not say it?, what's the point in not telling anything?

There was a report a while back from one of his former engineer/friend that visited him.
He said it was very hard to see him in that condition and basically said he had to be feed his food and everything done for him.

I had a friend on my baseball team who suffered a severe brain injury in a car accident, it's not pretty to see a once great athlete in that state and is extremely difficult/stressful for the family who have to change there way of life to accommodate the person.

Which makes the families ask for privacy completely understandable.

Happy 50th Mike!

I really hope Shumi recovers, terrible accident. He was a great team player, unlike the snowflakes like Kimi. Sadly, though, I will always remember his dirty, cheating tactics too.

I have it on very good authority that what you said in your post, is what Michael is like now. Unfortunately, he is but a shadow of who he was if you can call it that. His birthday should remind us all of the champion he was, his accomplishments and all good things about him in general. His condition underlines the fragility of life. Drive a land missile for 20+ years and have nothing serious happen to you (except a broken leg), then go skiing and...

I feel for him and his family, really I do. Further, while it is an unpopular opinion with some he was a consulate champion for his era and my favourite before Senna and Mansell. Super fast, very disciplined, achieving the highest highs in the sport. He raced during a time when the drama and romance of motorsport in F1 was at its highest. My biggest regret is not making a trip to Monza in the V10 era. I'll be telling my kids about those days.

Happy Birthday der Kaiser.
Meditate on this post for a spell, guys. Really. Just quietly review your life, in the light of Michael's, all that's been in your life and all that you think will come.

I will remember all the work he did outside F1 especially on drink driving
..................contributions in raising awareness of child education, he was named as one of the UNESCO Champions for sport joining the other eight, which include Pelé, Sergey Bubka and Justine Henin. He won the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year award twice, in 2002 and 2004 for his performances in the 2001 and 2003seasons respectively. He also received nominations for the 2001, 2003, 2005 and 2007 awards. He shares the record for having the second-most nominations for the award with Roger Federer with six nominations, and is eclipsed only by Tiger Woods who has been nominated seven times. He holds the distinction of having the most nominations for a motorsport athlete, (Fernando Alonso has been nominated only twice, Sebastian Vettel three times, and Valentino Rossi five times) and being the only motorsport athlete to have won the award more than once.

In honour of Schumacher's racing career and his efforts to improve safety and the sport, he was awarded an FIA Gold Medal for Motor Sport in 2006.
In 2007, in recognition of his contribution to Formula One racing, the Nürburgring racing track renamed turns 8 and 9 (the Audi and Shell Kurves) as the Schumacher S, and a month later he presented A1 Team Germany with the A1 World Cup at the A1GP World Cup of Motorsport 2007 awards ceremony.
He was nominated for the Prince of Asturias Award for Sport for 2007, which he won both for sporting prowess and for his humanitarian record.

In 2008, the Swiss Football Association appointed long-time Swiss resident Schumacher as the country's ambassador for the 2008 European football championship.

On 30 April 2010, Schumacher was honored with the Officier of Légion d'honneur title from French prime minister François Fillon.

On 13 November 2014, Schumacher was awarded the Millennium Trophy at the Bambi Awards.

I wish the best for a great champion as Michael, but I really do not understand why the privacy, he has millions of fans that would like to know how is going on with his health.
As a person who at the end lived and get paid a lot for being a super famous champion, now they can't complain if people are interested in his health, and if he is disabled now and it's ashamed of it is wrong, there's a lot of disabled people who does great things and fight to be avowed... I don't know if he is just too proud to show himself in a bad condition, but I think is wrong tbh.
Been a close witness of heavy frontal lobe braintrauma in my family, followed by a long coma period, chances are there is not much left of the sparkling personality of the old Michael. His body maybe in good enough condition to live another few decades. He might even be able to eat himself, or stand up. He probably can't talk and still has loads of old memories that can still make him smile. But you notice the spark and personality is greatly disturbed. Last thing you want is go out of the house and be stared at by everybody with a pitty face. Especially true for such a high profile person as Michael still is. Really hope he does much better than what I just described, but i doubt it. If he just been in a wheelchair we would have seen more of him. Hope we once hear more about it.
But for now i hope he is still getting a bit better everyday.

By the sound of that statement he is worse than expected, hence the privacy and no show...
I would be saddened by this statement from the family, as I would draw the same conclusion. Can't imagine what this does to a family. Upon reflecting, I'm in total agreement with their decision and completely understand the issue of privacy. Wish them the best, and hope to hear only good news in the future.

That was a total downer Paul... you better have news of Reiza's new game now or something similar to follow with. Jeesh..

I remember going to the first USGP @ Indy and in FP1 all came in after their installation lap except Schumi, what a sound! Happy Birthday Michael Schumacher we will raise a toast to you!!
bgil66, I was there as well. Yes, a toast to Michael!!!

He is a great F1 driver no doubt. I used to watch F1 when he was the best driver out there, his duel with Mika Hakkinen was amazing.

On a more serious note, I think we all know in what condition he is in, the best I can imagine that he still can communicate with his family via blinking or other methods. The worst would be if he isn't really aware of anything around him and only machines can keep him alive. I'm not into the private lives of other people so I don't really care if they want to share it with the public or not. I don't think he will be any better, there are things which the human body cannot heal, this is a harsh and heartbreaking fact of life.

Happy Birthday Michael!

If things were different that day where do you see him being in 2019 ? :barefoot:

Being so excellent in Karts I would have loved to see him lead the Ferrari Formula-E challenge
He would have doubled fans overnight

Welcome to 50 Michael!...you have joined yet another elite group... :) ...Blessings and continued strength to you and your loved ones...

I try to think of growing up watching F1, and then Michael not being part of it. Not seeing his comebacks, and racing in the rain with his uncanny ability to get the maximum out of his car. It would have been F1's loss If he had never taken to the track and shown his skills off to the rest of us mere mortals.
I have nothing but respect for him and he will always be remembered as one of the best.

All the best champ, your presence in racing circuits is very missed

as far as his condition, it's his family choice to release whatever info they want, but quite probably, if he was in decent shape, we would have known

it's just so sad that he managed to live so long on the edge in the racing cars, and it's skiing accident that almost kills him , such a shame
but it shows that it doesn't matter how good you are, life is very fragile

Last edited:
Watched him race live at plenty of different venues and with very different machinery over the years. Never once do you think a driver risking his life on the track will meet with such a premature end that had nothing to do with the sport he was so triumphant in.

Happy birthday Michael. Will remember the days I watched you at Silverstone, Monza, COTA, Sepang and Catalunya fondly

One of the saddest parts for me is all of the stories that are lost. You see plenty of great interviews with former drivers who talk about certain moments and what they were thinking. Im sure there's an encyclopedia of fun stories he would have told later that will be forever lost.

510094-michael-schumacher-jacques-villeneuve-longuement.jpg

My (former:)) idol.

And Michael.
Used to really dislike the guy back in '90es but you know, without any doubt... he was one of the greatest, ever.
Shame that after all these crazy motorsport years a freakish skiing accident hit him this bad. Feel sorry for him and his family. =/

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 366 15.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.2%