Michael Schumacher at 50

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Schumacher 50th bday.jpg

Michael Schumacher turns 50-years-old today, as the German 7-time World Champion continues his fight back to fitness following his 2013 skiing accident.

Little remains known about the current medical condition of Ferrari legend Michal Schumacher heading into his 50th birthday today (January 3rd), however with fans keen to celebrate the unprecedented success in Grand Prix racing of the former Jordan, Benetton, Ferrari and Mercedes driver, Schumacher's family have released a short statement as to the current state of affairs with the German, now residing in the family home in Switzerland.

“You can be sure that he is in the very best of hands and that we are doing everything humanly possible to help him,” said the Schumacher family by way of an official statement prior to the Grand Prix legend's 50th birthday.

“Please understand if we are following Michael’s wishes and keeping such a sensitive subject as health, as it has always been, in privacy.”
With the driver still holding top spot as the most successful Grand Prix driver of all time, the Schumacher family plan to release a new app to celebrate his 91 race victories and seven World Championships, engaging the Keep Fighting Michael foundation to develop a virtual museum of the career of Schumacher:

"The app is another milestone in our effort to do justice to him and you, his fans, by celebrating his accomplishments,” the family said.​

“Michael can be proud of what he has achieved, and so are we… we want to remember and celebrate his victories, his records and his jubilation.”
Heading into his 50th year, all at RaceDepartment continue to send our best wishes and thoughts to Michel Schumacher as he continues his fight back to full fitness.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
And with every birthday that passes the chances diminish we'll ever be able to enjoy to see or hear him in real life. His opinions and general presence are sorely missed.

And all that cause of a ski-accident after all those years of racing.:(

I wish the best for a great champion as Michael, but I really do not understand why the privacy, he has millions of fans that would like to know how is going on with his health.
As a person who at the end lived and get paid a lot for being a super famous champion, now they can't complain if people are interested in his health, and if he is disabled now and it's ashamed of it is wrong, there's a lot of disabled people who does great things and fight to be avowed... I don't know if he is just too proud to show himself in a bad condition, but I think is wrong tbh.

I feel so sad when I see highlights of his racing career on tv and I think about what has happened to him... I have to be honest: I was never a fan of his but he was one of the greatest I've ever seen. I still remember his first win for Ferrari at the 1996 Spanish GP. Unbelieveable. He could have been the greatest of all times if he had raced more "cleanly" on the track.

I really wish him the best, but I am aware that, in his case, the best is likely to be not much... :(

I remember going to the first USGP @ Indy and in FP1 all came in after their installation lap except Schumi, what a sound! Happy Birthday Michael Schumacher we will raise a toast to you!!

I wish the best for a great champion as Michael, but I really do not understand why the privacy, he has millions of fans that would like to know how is going on with his health.
As a person who at the end lived and get paid a lot for being a super famous champion, now they can't complain if people are interested in his health, and if he is disabled now and it's ashamed of it is wrong, there's a lot of disabled people who does great things and fight to be avowed... I don't know if he is just too proud to show himself in a bad condition, but I think is wrong tbh.
Perhaps you could say that for someone like Lewis Hamilton whose private life was and still is largely public (he is no longer public about his love affairs but you know what he wears or eats and how his dogs are doing :D). Schumacher's private life always remained as private as possible.

Besides, any man keeps his right to dignity and privacy, however rich and famous he is.

Sort of agree with you, but its a bit clumsy your post so i can't.
I don't think they are 'ashamed' of a disabled Micheal, just don't think the world needs to see him in this situation as i doubt he has any mental function left so what would be the point? He can't do or say anything so just keep him comfortable and let us remember him from before...seems to the families logic and i can';t blame them.
What we can be sure of is that MS isn't dancing around at home laughing about how has avoided ever having to do an interview again....
You are not missing out on anything at all....

You think it's wrong that Michael, or his family on his behalf, want privacy... is that right?

Just because he's worth millions and is one of the most famous sportsmen EVER, does not mean he(or his family) has to bow to whatever the fans demand. They have a right to their privacy, and personally, I'm okay with that.

If anything, an update every now and then wouldn't go amiss... but if that's not what the family want, then we have to accept it.

I don't think they are 'ashamed' of a disabled Micheal, just don't think the world needs to see him in this situation as i doubt he has any mental function left so what would be the point? He can't do or say anything so just keep him comfortable and let us remember him from before...seems to the families logic and i can';t blame them.
What we can be sure of is that MS isn't dancing around at home laughing about how has avoided ever having to do an interview again....

I have it on very good authority that what you said in your post, is what Michael is like now. Unfortunately, he is but a shadow of who he was if you can call it that. His birthday should remind us all of the champion he was, his accomplishments and all good things about him in general. His condition underlines the fragility of life. Drive a land missile for 20+ years and have nothing serious happen to you (except a broken leg), then go skiing and...

I feel for him and his family, really I do. Further, while it is an unpopular opinion with some, he was a consummate champion for his era and my favourite before Senna and Mansell. Super fast, very disciplined, achieving the highest highs in the sport. He raced during a time when the drama and romance of motorsport in F1 was at its highest. My biggest regret is not making a trip to Monza in the V10 era. I'll be telling my kids about those days.

Happy Birthday der Kaiser.

Last edited:
Please nobody get me wrong here, I have 0 interest on see pictures/videos of him in a bad condition at all!, I just think they can preserve privacy and share information about his health. Why not?, if he is connected to machines, why not say it?, what's the point in not telling anything?

Despite being a Damon Hill fan back in the day, I have to say that Michael is undoubtedly a true motor racing legend. He is right up there alongside Senna and Hamilton as the best drivers in my time watching the sport (since 1991). Untouchable and totally dominant at various times during his career.

Happy 50th and best wishes for a good recovery.

Please nobody get me wrong here, I have 0 interest on see pictures/videos of him in a bad condition at all!, I just think they can preserve privacy and share information about his health. Why not?, if he is connected to machines, why not say it?, what's the point in not telling anything?

I think it's partly a question of dignity. We all know the general condition he's in at the moment and from my point of view I would like to remember him as he was. I would imagine he's a shadow of his former self and is not even recognisable as the Michael Schumacher we all know.

The other simple truth is that his condition has probably not changed since the accident. So there is no news, there are no updates, he's just taking one day at a time.

Yes I suppose I agree with you in that it would be good to know how he is but it's a private matter between him and his family now and if they don't want to disclose anything to the public that's fine by me.

He also has a Son who's now very much in the public eye as well, I would imagine that some of this is done in such a way to protect him as well.

Certainly a legend in F1, ruthless at times but also a genius behind the wheel. He changed the sport in so many ways, from things like fitness, his attention to detail, his business acumen, he was also one of the first drivers to realise that so much time could be made on your in lap and out lap during a pitstop (he was doing this at Le Mans and all the drivers thought he was crazy until they realised he was making huge time on them at every stop). As mentioned above that win in '96 behind the wheel of the Ferrari was an incredible victory. It was like he was in another category, lol. :)

I was never a huge fan but I certainly respect him, maybe some medical breakthrough in the near future will allow him some quality of life back, I certainly hope so.

Despite being a Damon Hill fan back in the day, I have to say that Michael is undoubtedly a true motor racing legend. He is right up there alongside Senna and Hamilton as the best drivers in my time watching the sport (since 1991). Untouchable and totally dominant at various times during his career.

Happy 50th and best wishes for a good recovery.

Yes I was a Damon supporter as well. I think a little like with Nico and Lewis. Damon had to really step up his game to beat Michael when it mattered. What Schumacher had in natural talent, Damon had in true determination. I think that's what gripped me so much when I watched F1 at the time. That '94 race at Suzuka is still one of my all time favourite races.

Yes I was a Damon supporter as well. I think a little like with Nico and Lewis. Damon had to really step up his game to beat Michael when it mattered. What Schumacher had in natural talent, Damon had in true determination. I think that's what gripped me so much when I watched F1 at the time. That '94 race at Suzuka is still one of my all time favourite races.

Damon has the best car 2 seasons that is the reason that he comes close to Schumacher..

Hope Schumacher turns back all luck for you and your family

There is clearly in the silence the answer anyway surely?
Micheal will not be 'Alex Zanardi', ever..... it's not about walking again, it is about functioning without a machine before you even think about walking talking and having any brain function at all...sorry...
I really can't see how some people the world over,are struggling to fill in the dots.......

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back