As a fan of this sport since 1971, I can tell you I don't want more street courses...strictly on the basis of safety alone.
I remember a time in F1 where drivers died needlessly after hitting Armco placed too close to the racing line, because no other options existed with regard to crowd safety.
Stewart and a few other drivers lobbied 'hard' to move walls back, create bigger runoff areas and in some cases move races to safer venues. I remember that time well.
Let us not go back there again.
Although the crash structure of modern cars has gotten a lot safer as a result of composite technology and we haven't suffered any major deaths of late as a result of (DCIO) direct contact into obstacles, doesn't mean we should tempt fate.
Airborne open cockpit crashes into catch-fencing...the likes of which the'll have to use in a Miami course, negates those technology gains.
It adds an extra element of danger to drivers and spectators alike, which history and the 'pain' of past lessons have plenty of data on.
Spa and Monza...fast as they are, offer drivers 'outs' for mistakes with lots of runoff.
Look at the fence placement where there is some on those circuits.
Its located in places where you have very, very little chance of contacting it.
Miami will not have the ability for such placement.
What's that safety thing all the time? You know what is safe? Hiding in a nuclear resistant bunker without internet. And even then you will die as the water contains some strange bacteria...

Thank God for that. Can't bear another boring street circuit. I miss the days when the F1 championchip more or less consisted of classic European circuits.

Good, don't want another Mickey mouse crap track, keep it for formula E.

Or for Monaco.

Long Beach in all its iterations is better than Monaco ever tried to be.

I like street racing myself, but I understand why there are detractors. What I do not like is tracks in the street for the sake of saying it is a street race. Another poster brought up a list of street races in the US that did not work out for reasons obvious to anyone who watched those races. Las Vegas was an utter joke.

I still do not understand the reason to keep Monaco other than to pander to the ultra rich who could not give two craps about F1 unless it is too get their pics taken.

Perhaps they should just keep the races on real tracks...ones that Tilke has not put his grubby paws on. I would rather see an F1 race at Road America than in Miami.

I am not opposed to a new race in Miami, but the circuit shown in the original marketing material was utter crap. There are not a lot of places to race in Miami that would bring excitement, but the bridge part was ridiculous. Impossible to rescue a disabled or crashed car, especially if there was an injured driver. I'm also not opposed to more street circuits, if they bring excitement to the fans and the drivers like it. If you can find a fast, fun layout in Miami, that is nice to watch on TV, then it should be a go.

Also, the naysayers who tell us that the USA shouldn't have two races need to look at the history. 1959-60, 1976-1984 all held two races in the United States. Even in 1982 there were three, in Long Beach, Detroit, and Las Vegas. How many times have we seen a so-called "European" Grand Prix take place in Italy (Imola), Spain (Valencia), Great Britain (Donnington), or Germany (Nurburgring) and effectively give that country a second race? The Pacific Grand Prix in Japan. So, telling us that no country deserves more than one simply because there are real fans elsewhere doesn't really focus on the issue.

What's that safety thing all the time? You know what is safe? Hiding in a nuclear resistant bunker without internet. And even then you will die as the water contains some strange bacteria...
Nobody is saying anything about the need to live in a 'bubble', but neither do we need to soak our bodies with chum and dive into shark-infested waters, while hoping to avoid being eaten.
Danger is all around us. We get that.
The danger goes way up on street circuits, due to the lack of proper run-off.
The point is....Why add extra levels of danger, when we already had the fight to mitigate those 'know' evils?
Every longtime spectator of motorsport knows the added danger associated with catch fencing and closer than normal Armco used in road courses..
Jeff Krosnoff already paid....Dario got away 'lucky' with career-ending injuries.

Last edited:
Isn't that exactly what I said about drivers and catch-fencing?

I don’t disagree with you at all. I also get annoyed a bit when people throw out the ole straw man arguments about racing needing to be dangerous or ridiculous comparisons to Isle of Man TT.

Question though, does the halo have enough structural integrity to protect against the exact scenario you’re describing?

More likely...not.
It can take the static weight of a school bus but a car flying top first into a steel catch-fence support post at 190 mph, generates huge forces as a result of the added inertia.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 346 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 239 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 237 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 297 13.3%