Mexico City Secures Formula E Race

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
mexico.jpg

Following on from a successful return to the Formula One calendar last month, Mexico City's Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez has secured a slot on the 2015-16 Formula E schedule using a shortened 2.14km variation of the circuit.

Subject to approval from the FIA World Motor Sport Council meeting in December, Mexico is due to host round five of the season on March 12th, the newly shortened layout will see the all electric Formula E cars utilise part of the historic Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez with seating for around 40,000 spectators.

Formula E CEO Alejandro Agag said:
“We are delighted to be taking Formula E to Mexico City. This is one of the world’s great cities, with a rich heritage and passion for motorsport. I’m confident the fans will create an amazing atmosphere and make the Mexico City ePrix one of the most memorable races of the season.”​

Alejandro Soberon, President and CEO of CIE added:
"For OCESA it is an honour to open the doors to Formula E to the just newly-renovated Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez track. A circuit that is positioning itself day-by-day as the temple of motorsport.”​

Miguel Angel Mancera, Major of Mexico City also added:
“Staging events such as Formula E is helping to make Mexico City one of the ‘sports capitals’ of the world. After the success of the Formula 1 Grand Prix, the addition of the Formula E race shows that the Hermanos Rodriguez racetrack is the perfect place for all kinds of racing events and is a key part of the work that the Mexico City government has undertaken to enhance our tourist attractions.”​

Salvador Duran (Trulli Formula E Team driver) said:
“Formula E is a great championship that produces fantastic races among top-line drivers and I am sure the Mexican fans are going to love the races. The sound of the cars will be totally new to them, but I know that once they see the quality of the action they are going to be hooked.”​

Tickets for the race will go on sale on December 7 with prices starting at 350 Mexican Pesos (approx. 19 Euros).

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting.....so the Formula E boys (and girls) get to use Peraltada then?

Ok it's Peraltada with a kink in it but this looks like quite a fun layout, will be interesting to see what this produces racing wise.

I'm still a bit mixed enthusiasm on the Formula E's but have enjoyed the "racing" in the some events, I just listen to F1 V12's on my iPod whilst watching :p

The ticket prices are hopefully going to produce a good crowd though :)

I was just thinking at the last F-E GP that it's about time they brought it to a proper track.

I think the idea was as Formula-E is more "environmentally friendly" the races could run in city centres but yeah I agree with you, some of the tracks are incredibly twisty. A decent track will make a welcome addition :thumbsup:

I missed out on London last year but I'm thinking about making the trip in '16

I just can't see these cars on an semi-oval or any real long straight. If Forza (sorry) is anywhere close, you just sit at about 120-140mph and listen to a high pitched whine. That's crawling on an oval. These guys are going to be smoking and using their cell phones, like Dick Trickle.

Having seen these cars run a few times in testing at Donington Park I too struggle to imagine them on an oval type track like this.. to me they lack the speed and drama of other similar type open wheel cars.. saying that I'm sure the series organisers know what they are doing and I'm very interested to see how this turns out. My experience says these cars on wide tracks don't work, but I hope to be proven wrong...

Go Villeneuve!! :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back