F1 2016 Mexico City (Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez) - Mexico (Dry)

F1 2016 The Game (Codemasters)

Graham Laing

Retired Staff
setups-700.jpg

Please post your setups for Mexico City (Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez) - Mexico (Dry) here, bearing in mind our formatting & video rules :-

How to layout your setup in this forum + video rules

Car
Haas

Curcuit
Mexico City

Condition
Dry

Career
25%

Tyres
S

Aero
F Wing angle
R Wing angle

Trans
78%
75%

Sus. Geo
2.50°
1.00°
0.09°
0.38°

Sus

Brakes
75%
60%

Tyres (psi)

Weight Dis.

Notes:
PS4, on the controller. Good setup for doing personal mods to it. I did well with it. A little loose but not uncontrollable. Good luck and drive safe

Did any of you guys have the car pushing on acceleration coming out of corners? I think if you lower tyre pressure 1 notch or set ballast 1 notch towards center, it should take care of that problem. Give me feedback

if i remember well, i think, i've just put a little bit more BAR on the front and less BAR on the rear. but i will try to change the pressure and test with ballast too. I'm in my second season with Honda. i quit Renault. So promise, when i'm in Mexico this season, i tell you if i'm quicker or not. :thumbsup:

Car
Mercedes

Aerodynamics

Front Wing Angle: 5
Rear Wing Angle: 5

Differential
On throttle: 80%
Off throttle: 80%

Suspension Geometry
Front Camber : -3.30
Rear Camber: -1.80
Front Toe: 0.13
Rear Toe : 0.26

Suspension
Front Suspension: 3
Rear Suspension: 3
Front Anti-Roll Bar: 9
Rear Anti-Roll Bar: 9
Front Ride Height: 5
Rear Ride Height: 5

Brakes

Brake Pressure: 80%
Front Brake Bias: 60%

Tyre Pressures

Front Tyre Pressure: 23.8
Rear Tyre Pressure: 22.3

Weight Distribution
Ballast: 11

Notes
**Time Trial Setup** - Full Traction, ABS Brakes, Auto Gears, Xbox Controller (PC) - 01:18:405.

Now a setup I got from the interwebz :p

Car
Mercedes

Aerodynamics

Front Wing Angle: 4

Differential
On throttle: 70%
Off throttle: 70%

Suspension Geometry
Front Camber : -2.70
Rear Camber: -1.20
Front Toe: 0.09
Rear Toe : 0.32

Suspension
Front Suspension: 11
Rear Suspension: 10
Front Anti-Roll Bar: 11
Rear Anti-Roll Bar: 4

Brakes

Brake Pressure: 90%

Tyre Pressures

Front Tyre Pressure: 22.2
Rear Tyre Pressure: 21.1

Weight Distribution

Did full qualifying and my fastest time was 1:19.383 in Q2 on super soft tyres with a PS4 controller.

This setup can actually be used in races, at least IMHO, because I used more of this kind of setups in my league races.

EDIT: after doing part of the race the tyre wear seemed horrible. So if anyone knows how to lower that it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Car
Mercedes

Aerodynamics

Front Wing Angle: 5

Differential

Suspension Geometry
Front Camber : -3.30
Rear Camber: -1.80

Suspension

Brakes

Tyre Pressures

Front Tyre Pressure: 23.8
Rear Tyre Pressure: 22.3

Weight Distribution

Notes
**Time Trial Setup** - Full Traction, ABS Brakes, Auto Gears, Xbox Controller (PC) - 01:18:405.
Do you use this for the race too ? Or can you post your race setup, pls ?

It says *Time Trial Setup*. I have not got around to Mexico in my career mode yet. Try putting Camber to its lowest possible setting and see if you can get a Perfect Tyre Management score in Practice.

It says *Time Trial Setup*. I have not got around to Mexico in my career mode yet. Try putting Camber to its lowest possible setting and see if you can get a Perfect Tyre Management score in Practice.
Time trial setups can be used for race too. That's why everyone should test setup in Quick Race and NOT in TT since you have no tyre wear, no fuel load etc. Trust me, this is a golden hint ;) Some colleague in my League racing team told me this.

Ok well I have a method to my madness. I go through several steps.

1) Doing Time Trial setup means you have no other deciding factors to your laptime. This is very important as then it's between you and the setup. I have done this in many F1 games to great effect. The reason why this is preferred is because it's the best place to get balance, it is certainly NOT about tyre wear when I do a TT setup. In fact, it's all about pure laptime. This pushes camber, roll bars and other things further towards a high deg setup, but sometimes it doesn't turn out that way! At least not in this F1 game.

In the past I would have put all camber settings and roll bars on full (bars on 11s, camber on -3.50 etc) and need to major tweak .. but it's not the case this year for some reason (on most tracks, but not all), and I find some feedback telling me tyre wear is optimal using my TT setup. That is pure coincidence though ... and is not by design.

2) A Quick Race will have tyre wear, fuel loads (etc) ... which is not what I need for the first setup. I don't want to be tweaking camber/roll bars/suspension/ride heights/wings while still trying to figure out the balance ... AND doing so while fighting other cars on track. Basically, if I can get in the top 2% of drivers in the world using a TT setup, I've found the right one. You cannot indicate this in Quick Race as there's no leaderboard to compare yourself, the only thing you can compare yourself to is the AI ... which is nowhere near optimal. I really need to test my setup against others real times, and sometimes I'll go as far to try other players (rivals) setup to see if it drives better.

On one of my setups I did this very thing ... took another guys setup and tweaked it for my own liking. Should have given credit for it really ... but I forgot. I used M.Rs setup for Azerbaijan as I used it for TT and LOVED it so much I let him know. Since then I found out it absolutely sucks on degradation so the setup needed tweaking quite a bit, but at least the balance of the TT setup remained.

3) What I love about F1 2016 is you get the practice programs which were absent from previous games. The acclimatization program helps you to find out if the car is set up to go around the track and nail the corners as intended at the optimal speeds. If this fails .. then the TT setup is wrong and needs tweaking. Often enough I just need more speed down the straights so I'll adjust the aero, perhaps the ride height a little. If that doesn't work, then it needs an overhaul ... but I've yet to have that issue.

4) After perfecting that, I move on to tyre management which I take very seriously. This is where my TT setup goes through the process of ensuring a "Perfect" score. I won't always get purple on every lap (on some tracks I did, so I felt like tyre wear was too good so I could add more camber/roll bars), but I'll beat the target scores set by Engineer on "Master" difficulty. If I'm only getting green laps, or even red laps, then the setup is not good enough so I'll adjust the cambers and stuff, and just keep trying different things and hope I don't upset the balance. The last thing I want to do is make the car harder to drive than it was in TT. I've yet to find a TT setup I couldn't tweak to get the perfect score.

5) After the first two programs I find Qualifying Pace to be the easiest. I've only ever had a issue completing it twice, and on those occasions all I needed was more aero for straightline speed. The balance and the tyre wear were already sorted ... so it couldn't hurt to change that and give me more speed down the straights.

After these steps are complete, I have a Race Setup. One that isn't very good for TT anymore... but will give less tyre wear, good speed, and ensure corners are hit at their optimal speeds. Everything you need! Now why would I bother doing a setup in Quick Race when I can do it in the way that I am? I fail to see how what I'm doing is wrong and is not a "golden" hint in itself. I've been making setups this way for years now, I do TT setup ... nail that, then tweak it for race conditions. Career mode gives you 90-Minute Practice Sessions with the same factors as a Quick Race and has less cars getting in your way and driving you off track for position.

My methods have always served me well, and other drivers have appreciated the effort and countless hours I put in to setups so they drive well using a controller/ABS brakes/Full traction/auto gears (etc) for those players who are not particularly handy (or care for) with making it a full simulation.

Last edited:
That does make a lot of sense, looking at it that way. I have also noticed difference from game to game. I use thought that with it being Formula 1, it puts you to test to see how well you can balance your machine from "all out", to "managable" settings. There is a reason for them calling it Formula 1. Switching the restrictions mid-season gives opportunity for the weaker teams to play catch up. I'm talking in the career since, of course. So, I just figured that they do the same thing with the games as well...being that they can't reissue a game with the different restrictions...lol. as far as the difference between TT, and career modes, I havent really paid any attention to hat stuff. Kyle cleared that up for me a short while back. I've been finding myself a bit more involved with 16 than I have previous games.

Car
Sauber

Aerodynamics

Front Wing Angle: 6

Differential

Suspension Geometry
Front Camber : -3.00
Rear Camber: -1.50

Suspension
Front Ride Height: 6
Rear Ride Height: 6

Brakes

Tyre Pressures

Front Tyre Pressure: 23.4
Rear Tyre Pressure: 21.9

Weight Distribution
Ballast: 6

Notes
*Race Setup* - Used in Career mode. The AI are crazy quick through Sector Three, the setup didn't feel bad but perhaps there's a little more to find? The first two sectors should be really quick at least.

Car
McLaren

Distance
Time Trial

Time

Tyre Type
Super Softs (restricted due to Time Trial Mode)

Aerodynamics
Front Wing Angle: 6

Differential
On throttle: 69%

Suspension Geometry
Front Camber : -2.50
Rear Camber: -1.00
Front Toe: 0.05
Rear Toe: 0.20

Suspension
Front Suspension: 11
Rear Suspension: 9
Front Anti-Roll Bar: 11
Rear Anti-Roll Bar: 3
Front Ride Height: 6
Rear Ride Height: 6

Brakes

Tyre Pressures

Front Tyre Pressure: 23.0 PSI
Rear Tyre Pressure: 21.1 PSI

Weight Distribution

Fuel Load
Kg: 10kg (restricted due to Time Trial Mode)

Notes

Again a McLaren Setup, which is quite decent around here. My aim was to get in the 18's which i could achive pretty quickly. This is the setup that i used in the gpgames.eu leaguerace, so it is a pretty good one ;)
I managed a 1 Stop here with a start on Mediums. The Pace was very strong and consistent and i had almost no tyrewear at all!
Hightlights from the race to proof it
http://www.racedepartment.com/media/videos/f1-2016-liga-2016-3-saisonrennen-mexiko-gpgames-eu.22073/

Have fun!

My Setup at Steam
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=814634756

My Lap on RaceTube

http://www.racedepartment.com/media/videos/f1-2016-setup-hotlap-mclaren-mexico-1-18-922-pc.22124/

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 296 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing