Mexican Grand Prix Driver of the Day - VOTE NOW

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Mexican Grand Prix Driver of the Day.jpg

Place your vote now for the RaceDepartment Mexican Grand Prix 'Driver of the Day' award.

Some incredible performances were seen at the 2017 running of the Mexican Grand Prix at the Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, from the epic fight back of championship rivals Vettel and Hamilton to the composed and dominant performance of Verstappen out front - but who do you think did the best job of Sunday afternoon?

Does the heroics of Ocon to finish just outside the top two teams carry more weight than the victory from Verstappen? Has the dogged fighting spirit of Alonso resonated more with our readers that Bottas securing a much needed podium finish? Let us know in the vote and comments section below!

Verstappen ofc!
But yeah Alsono fighting with Hamilton was nearly the only good action there was.
btw Hamilton not being able to overtake the slow cars was kinda funny, Is the Mercedes really so bad when it doesnt have clean bit of air.

Crazy, but I picked Ericsson. What he was able to do with his Sauber, keeping it in the points, until his engine let go. Pleasantly surprised by that. Sure, VER and VET drove a great race, but really, what did they do that was special or above what they normally do? Race was decided, like predicted, in Turn 1, Lap 1. Vettel simply was able to pick off drivers until he hit the top teams.

Verstappen had the legs on Vettel and cruised to a 20sec lead over Bottas and 54sec over Kimi he also had the pace to increase that but held back. Once again Vettel, is his own worst enemy! I find it surprising he has got the second highest vote! particularly if you compare it with Max's USA recovery drive. But conditions with Mexico's high altitude could be a factor. Hamilton should have taken it easy, so he too made it difficult for himself. Having his defuser damaged on one side (Vettel collision / puncture) made it even more difficult to come through the field, particularly with the high altitude affecting downforce. His fastest lap 1:19.945 was half a second off Bottas and more than 1s off Max and Sebastian, so Lewis's recovery was something of note.

Verstappen ofc!
But yeah Alsono fighting with Hamilton was nearly the only good action there was.
btw Hamilton not being able to overtake the slow cars was kinda funny, Is the Mercedes really so bad when it doesnt have clean bit of air.
It was really just the reno that he had issues passing to get out of last. It did look terrible to get stuck in last place for that long. The reno was out of position so not to much slower than the merc, once he got past that car he was able to overtake the cars ahead of him much easier.

I voted for Vettel, he did everything he could possibly do (including accidentally taking out Hamilton:laugh:) to keep the championship alive even though there was really no chance.

It's all looking good for next year, Ferrari has more or less caught up to Mercedes, Red Bull is even competitive which bodes well for McLarens competitiveness next year.

Great year for Hamilton, the Merc was clearly the better car this year but the advantage it gave Hamilton was shrinking every week and non existent some weeks. Ferrari and Red Bull found the Mercedes achilles heal and exploited it well, if Merc can't fix their inability to follow they could be in big trouble next year.

Vettel. All Max has done is have another kamikaze start (which legality was questionable, at best. Once again) and the rest was so-so - Ocon did great, Hulk once again, until Renault fail on him, once again. Kevin was also nice surprise, compared to the rest of his season at least. Stroll only ONE vote ? Oh Racedepartment...

How many times do you hear a driver being told to slow down and he thinks it's funny and goes faster? Max maxed it... For those who voted Vettel need to separate their feelings and recognise when it's game over.. He had contact with Max and Lewis.. Slightly desperate.

• Deleted member 6919

Verstappen ofc!

It was due to the clash with Vettel, it damaged the rear diffuser quite heavily on the right, a pic was shown at the end of the race, but anyway Hamilton & Mercedes deserved the titles this year, Ferrari put up a good fight, but Vettel does need to sort himself out, and know matter what was said I think that touch on Hamilton rear tyre was very suspect to me, Vettel wont win another title, not now Max is around.

How many times do you hear a driver being told to slow down and he thinks it's funny and goes faster?

Never, because most drivers, with a brain in their head, would realize that if practically the entire Renault contingent felt their engine blow up and then try to electrocute them, most drivers, who aren't being fueled by anger and arrogance, could put two and two together. Max can't even understand why the paddock hates him.

Then there is Lewis, who scolds his radio guy because he didn't answer his question fast enough with "answer me when I ask you a question" on air. That's the equivalent of saying, when you are being questioned by authorities..."DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM!" :laugh:

Vettel. All Max has done is have another kamikaze start (which legality was questionable, at best. Once again) and the rest was so-so - Ocon did great, Hulk once again, until Renault fail on him, once again. Kevin was also nice surprise, compared to the rest of his season at least. Stroll only ONE vote ? Oh Racedepartment...
I swear you are the only person I have heard criticise max for anything in this race.

Is it not a little hypocritical of the majority of voters to vote for Verstappen in this race, when dominant wins in the best car in earlier rounds this season have been ignored because 'anyone could have done it'?

Why are people suggesting Vettel had a "great race"?

He totally crapped the bed at the start and almost ended both Lewis and Max's races and ended up finishing some 20+seconds behind 3rd place?

What is this bizarre logic. How anyone can vote beyond Max I don't understand. And I'm really not a Max fan, so-to-speak.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back