Mexican GP Debrief: Tempers Flare While Hamilton Eases to Victory

At the time I didn't think Vettel moved that much, just squeezed ricardo into a tighter line for the corner. But seeing that GIF he moved right over.

I don't mind all the off track drama, Much prefer to see people getting emotional than being emotionless robots that they often are in interviews. They're very reserved compared to the fits I get in when things don't go my way. I think if you put anyone in that situation of being pumped up with adrenaline and gave them a radio button to speak to the world the majority would be in screaming fits after an accident almost occurred.

he should have been given Drive through!
if he was second - by yielding position to Rosberg, the race would have been very different story

this move therefore has had major influence on the race, and that's why I'm quite upset that he wasn't given the penalty

5 second (or so) penalties are also bad idea, becasue they might not really change outcome and therefore people won't be that afraid to break rules, ... if he was given drive through (and ruined his chances for championship) he would think twice before doing this in future

the fact he got away with it sends a message,.. "it's fine if you are driver that is generally liked .. "

Hamilton hasn't exactly been a darling of the stewards over the years (I'll always remember Spa vs Kimi) so I don't think that's it.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually like the time penalties. It's true that they sometimes result in no net change, but it does seem a little over punitive to lose 30+ more seconds after locking up, going off track, and even maybe attempting to redress the situation (by lifting, giving up the position, etc.)

The point where Vettel made the move I was watching Vettel and Max, and I really thought Vettel was trying to attack Max and Ricciardo was like bombing from nowhere, but I just moved on and didn't think about it until I learned Vettel had been given the punishment. Watching again you can see Vettel moving on the left so they were probably right with Vettel, I suppose.

Don't giving a rats ass about the all so boring top, I'm really impressed by Marcus Ericsson's performance, unlike Austin, this time the 1 stop strategy worked.
Once again being miles ahead of his team-mate. Proving to the other teams that he is the one, and not nasr, that you should be investing in for a drive in a better team.

Appalling driving from a lot of people. Max once again being the worst. He doesn't look like a future WDC to me at the moment. Terrible sportsmanship trying to force Vettel back into Ricciardo, bumping into Nico, missing the corner and not giving the position up, to being a arrogant little **** after the race. I hate the guy with a passion. His driving is not up to scratch at the moment and he is showing no sign of learning

I understand Seb's radio rant at Charlie, so I'm glad he wasn't punished. People shouldn't get offended when someone says **** off out of frustration. However, he did deserve the penalty for his defensive move. (He doesn't deserve driver of the day as he was rightfully penalised. Driver of the day should be for the best driver across the whole race, not for half of it.

It's a pretty common practice to back your rival into your teammate, been happening for years.
I don't think Max is any more arrogant then Hamilton, Rosberg, Vettel or Alonso.

Seb was pissed, good to see real emotion then PR fake-ness.

Driver of the day and best driver in F1 Danny Ric!!!!

It won't matter much if Hamilton got the penalty. I believe Nico will win the driver championship. Time is running out for Lewis. And I am a Hamilton fan!

14956510.jpg

That will teach him!

For T1 I think hamilton had a clear advantage from running wide in t1 and going over the grass. I don't see him slowing down. Just his tires being dirty and him not being able to go any faster. At most he slowed down to get rid of any grass in his radiators or to get rid of dirty visor. The only issue here is that he basically missed T1 completely and did not suffer from it at all. Nothing, zero.

The issue is that rosberg lost time too because of his small contact with verstappen. So if hamilton had slowed down he would have needed to slow down a hell of a lot more so his gap to rosberg had returned to what it was. Hamilton's mistake was far far bigger than rosberg so if hamilton is even equally fast through t1 he has gained an advantage.

I'm not saying he did it intentionally but when you know there is no penalty for going off and getting it absolutely right on the limit gives you a big reward you may just as well take the small risk going into t1 and brake as late as you can. If your tires or brakes aren't up to temp you just drive straight, forget the corner and take the shortcut, clear your visor and tell to charlie you slowed down and then tell your team your tires are dirty so you can't push.

The little warm down room after the race was quite jovial esp. Between Hamilton and Rosberg , unlike previous seasons. I think Hami knows it's not going to be his year .

The only way to justify not penalizing Hamilton for the same move is having telemetry that clearly shows him lifting - I really hope that exists somewhere, but we mere peasants won't get to see it for ourselves. :mad:.

From Martin Brundle's race report....

the data sent back to Race Control from Hamilton's Mercedes showed that he got off the throttle when he came back on track to take himself back towards the pack even before the Virtual Safety Car was deployed.

Don't think we'd get to see it but at least it exists.

Formula One racing's governing body, the FIA, has decided not to take action against Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel for using 'repeated foul language' over team radio during Sunday's race in Mexico, in light of apologies from the German and his expressed regret for his behaviour.
The FIA takes this opportunity to advise that, in the event of any future incident similar to the one that occurred in Mexico, disciplinary action will be taken by bringing such incident before the FIA International Tribunal to be judged."

Looking back now...
I'm really not sure how's the race director (or whoever does that job) feel that all those radio messages are appropriate for wide audience ? Otherwise we wouldn't have big fuzz about it on the first place. Maybe he should get penalized. :)
And about Hamilton case... I'll said it again. Of course "he lifted" if he's not he'll be ending spinning on grass for Gods sake. Every experienced gamer around here knows that. ;) But how much did he lift, that's entirely different question. Look at my video, he clearly did get advantage. That lift must be as minimal as it could possibly be. Yet... enough for Charlie. He seems to be a really easy to please type. :unsure:

Last edited:
Appalling driving from a lot of people. Max once again being the worst. He doesn't look like a future WDC to me at the moment. Terrible sportsmanship trying to force Vettel back into Ricciardo, bumping into Nico, missing the corner and not giving the position up, to being a arrogant little **** after the race. I hate the guy with a passion. His driving is not up to scratch at the moment and he is showing no sign of learning

I understand Seb's radio rant at Charlie, so I'm glad he wasn't punished. People shouldn't get offended when someone says **** off out of frustration. However, he did deserve the penalty for his defensive move. (He doesn't deserve driver of the day as he was rightfully penalised. Driver of the day should be for the best driver across the whole race, not for half of it.

I can't appriciate your opinion on MAX. He is a wildcardkit, what F1 needs, otherwice its boring like h..l.

The little warm down room after the race was quite jovial esp. Between Hamilton and Rosberg , unlike previous seasons. I think Hami knows it's not going to be his year .
I too noticed the slightly warmer atmosphere in the post race room. There was also some videos circling before the race about press events and the two of them seemed pretty chummy. We may never see the same Hamilton and Rosberg from Australia in 2008 but i think if Rosberg does win the Championship we might see them go back to their friendship of 2013.

It was refreshing to see two of my favourite drivers seem more laid back than usual :)

Last edited:
I think it is the profile of a racing driver. All the bests have had a mean selfish streak a mile wide, personally I thin that's what gives them the edge. Look at Weber always came accross as a chilled out ozzie who loved racing and his success I fear is a reflection of that. I certainly believe he had the ability but vettel , Hami , and a few others just have that extra edge.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back