Merging Tracks - examples inside

Brendon Pywell

Bob's Track Builder
It would appear that many people want to merge tracks and are currently have problems doing it so here are some examples that might help you understand how to do it in BTB.

Several Tracks

Several tracks of varying height, joined together.

LINK - http://forum.racedepartment.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1102

Tracks with Terrain

The same track as above, but with terrain applied.

http://forum.racedepartment.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1103

Using Textures to good effect

A new texture is created specifically for joins to make T-intersections more realistic.

LINK - http://forum.racedepartment.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1107

Pit Lane

With just one track, add a pitlane by adding surfaces and changing the shape/materials.

http://forum.racedepartment.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1124

Alternative Method

http://forum.racedepartment.com/bobs-track-builder/17765-partial-solution-track-merging-problem.html

In my new project, Im using something like this

Attachments

• shot_eusebio.jpg
    shot_eusebio.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 1,526
I am having some trouble with the textures when merging two tracks. I am trying to laydown a pit road, separate but all the way down the front straight. When I texture the entire track, the textures just overlap the pit road. Is there anyways to avoid this or how can i fix this?

Well, I've been studying Piddy's merging method and I noticed that main point is to manage your additional track surface's points in order to matching new formed panels lines exactly on the both tracks intersection line.

Doing like this, you will have a perfect track merging without neither rough riding transitions nor flickering polygons into race games.

Does it time comsuming? Yes, I'm spending about 10 minutes in each joint. Coursely it will decreases as I training. Otherwise, it works perfect. The only negative point is to generate some non-used hiden polygons but I think that's price is low.

Here what I've got: works perfectly in game either to race on as visual effect.

jpint.jpg

Another view (aproximately onboard racing), showing nicely acceptable transition in inches.

smooth.jpg

I have found that a good way to merge two tracks is to set one 0.02 below the other track. Very quick and easy. Merges very well with no bump and no bleeding. I have done that with as many as 5 track pieces. One for the main track, one for the pitlane and a couple of chicanes.

I have found that a good way to merge two tracks is to set one 0.02 below (Y axis) the other track. Very quick and easy. Merges very well with no bump and no bleeding. I have done that with as many as 5 track pieces. One for the main track, one for the pitlane and a couple of chicanes.

• sunalp2

Please excuse me as I've only just started on this.

I've had a look at the Pit lane example and it looks great, but I can't figure out how it's done.

For intersections I now use the new 3d editing for combining/overlaying.
It's absolutely brilliant for merging off camber roads which most of mine are.

I just add new sections ( ctrl left click ) where needed and adjust in the 3d window live!:woop: , Possibly the single best advance yet well one of many!....
grab a node and move left or right up or down. Piddy did say use 'y' for up and down but it works without!

I'm re doing a lot of stuff as I now have greater control and it's pretty easy too!.

Attachments

• merge-1.jpg
    merge-1.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 1,053
  • merge-2.jpg
    merge-2.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 994
  • sunalp2

Ok, I figured out a workaround by setting it as extra terrain.

I just need to make the underlying terrain flat now.

For intersections I now use the new 3d editing for combining/overlaying.
It's absolutely brilliant for merging off camber roads which most of mine are.

I just add new sections ( ctrl left click ) where needed and adjust in the 3d window live!:woop: , Possibly the single best advance yet well one of many!....
grab a node and move left or right up or down.
Me too. In previous versions it was difficult to work out which point in the 2d cross-section window corresponded to what I was looking at in the 3d window, but now things are much easier.

Piddy did say use 'y' for up and down but it works without!
It locks the movement direction to up/down in the 3d view. And X locks it from side to side, also in the 3d window.

To Piddy,

Do you know how 3ds max merge nodes our vertex together (with a snap tool). That would be a gread idea for your next btb version, getting rid of these merging problems, forever. Cause you can simply snap the two points together, without worrying and precisionly adjusting the altitude of the nodes.

Hello sunalp!
...merging tracks... hmm...
In all the examples illustrated above, You will get as a result "double faces" on the join points of the two tracks (flickering, rain reflection problems and so on...)
The extra terrain mentioned by sunalp2 idea works well, but with obvious mapping problems.

As a conclusion, in both cases You will have to use another software to accomplish the job:
Two merged tracks:
Blender or 3DSMax will solve the problem by eliminating the unneeded faces and joining the track edges
Extra terrain solution:
Blender or 3DSMax will solve the problem by mapping the area of interest

Freedom of choice :)
Here 3 pictures that illustrates the overlapping problem/solution

Attachments

• overlap.jpg
    overlap.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 792
  • overlap2.jpg
    overlap2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 808
  • overlap3.jpg