Mercedes, Red Bull Believe Ferrari Hold Advantage

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Ferrari hold advantage f1 2019.jpg

Valtteri Bottas and Helmut Marko both believe pre-season testing suggests Ferrari hold the advantage ahead of the new season.

Have topped the times in two of the four days of running so far, as well as displaying near bullet proof reliability whilst racking up a mind boggling number of laps between Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc, both Mercedes driver Valtteri Bottas and Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko have spoken out about the advantage they think the red cars hold over the rest of the 2019 Formula One field.

“They do seem very strong,” said Mercedes driver Bottas, himself hoping that his team can continue the domination they have displayed throughout the hybrid era of Formula one.

“No matter which kind of fuel load or engine modes they’re running, whatever you try to correct that for in any case that they are quick. Both short runs and long runs.

“So I think we feel at this point they’re going to be a bit ahead.”
It is notoriously difficult to make judgements from running this early in the season, but it appears that Bottas' claims have been backed up by Helmut Marko, the experienced Austrian also under the impression that Ferrari appear to have a head start as week one of pre-season testing comes to a close.

"What I saw yesterday on the circuit, for sure Ferrari at the moment is the fastest car, and behind them is Red Bull and Mercedes," he told Sky F1.
With a largely disappointing 2018 behind them, despite some very solid results, the new year is a crucial time for Ferrari as they bid to win their first World Championship since Kimi Räikkönen took the trophy over 12 years ago, and the Italian outfit will certainly be encouraged by the strong start to the season they have experienced so far. Formula One is forever a race of development back at the factory as much as it is a race on track, and recent seasons suggest the squad often struggle against the likes of Mercedes, so it may well be a case of making hay while the sun shines in the early part of the year for Vettel and Leclerc this season.

For more from the world of Formula One, head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with fellow fans of the top level of open wheel motorsport.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Though I think Ferrari are superfast I'd say that Merc is just sandbagging.
Let’s wait for Melbourne.

They had the superior car last season.....

They (Sebastian) struggled to put in that perfect lap when needed and throwing away the German gp was woeful.

They had the superior car last season.....

They (Sebastian) struggled to put in that perfect lap when needed and throwing away the German gp was woeful.

Of course they did.
"The Merc is crap it's only the God Lewis that puts it where it is, he's the bestest i follow him on instagram i like his clothes dat he wears and stuff he is well cool and ting."

Lewis looks a bit concerned and Vettel looks happier. I think it's going to be pretty close with Ferrari having an edge like the beginning of last year, this is going to be a development race.

Lewis looks a bit concerned and Vettel looks happier. I think it's going to be pretty close with Ferrari having an edge like the beginning of last year, this is going to be a development race.

Yes I think that's the same thing with me. Having followed F1 testing for about twenty years now, most F1 drivers are not good at hiding their body language. They can't help themselves when a new car is fast out of the box and the Ferrari looks that way judging by Vettel's reactions and the speed that the car has shown.

Verstappen was gushing with praise for the team as well, which leaves Mercedes. Lewis has been pretty quiet in recent days and interestingly Bottas has been the more positive of the two. Which although doesn't mean the new car is fast, it may mean that it's characteristics may be more suited to Bottas's driving style and he's just happier than Lewis in the 2019 car. At the moment anyway.

As soon as a driver says "some work to do" or "the team have done well to be ready" or "we are waiting for some new parts" that usually translates as "the car is not good, we need help..." lol

Ferrari are looking good, then Red Bull (reliability permitting), then Mercedes. At the beginning of the year I'm going to take a punt on Alfa Romeo being next best. Sauber were always very good at making a solid car at the beginning of the season so it would be great to see one of the smaller teams getting some reward.

Looks like McLaren and Williams will be at the back, for the first few races anyway which in modern F1 is a sad thing to see.

Of course they did.
"The Merc is crap it's only the God Lewis that puts it where it is, he's the bestest i follow him on instagram i like his clothes dat he wears and stuff he is well cool and ting."

Don't forget his music taste and diet.
Hashtag legend, Hashtag goat Hashtag valtieri Lewis is behind you this no good Hashtag rainmaster.

The minute Lewis gets outpaced by anyone at any point, its the car, its Mercedes 'need to work harder' or 'they have the fastest car....'..... the minute he gets pole or wins it's then a seed planted that its all because of him.....
He always looks exactly like the pictures of him when he was 8 years old karting, a real mardy little git with a right face on him.
Compare and contrast say Ricciardo with Lewis's face....rarely is he happy. If he had of stayed with McLaren i think he'd of topped himself by now.. because he sure as **** wouldn't of won anything..

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 316 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 447 39.2%