Mercedes downplays first spat of 2015

09.jpg

After an eventful Chinese Grand Prix for the AMG Mercedes team, they have quickly attempted to downplay the headline making spat between drivers Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton in the aftermath of the race.

After the race Nico Rosberg was critical of race winner and team mate Lewis Hamilton in the post-race press conference, believing Hamilton had been selfish and because of this compromised Rosberg's race in the first stint, as Sebastien Vettel lurked close behind him.

Rosberg stated "No. It’s just now interesting to hear from you, Lewis, that you were just thinking about yourself with the pace in front, and that was compromising my race. Driving slower than was maybe necessary at the beginning of stints meant that Sebastian was very close to me and that opened up the opportunity for Sebastian to try that early pitstop to try and jump me."

Hamilton immediately responded by stating "It’s not my job to look after Nico’s race. My job is to manage the car and bring the car home as healthy and as fast as possible – and that’s what I did. I didn’t do anything intentionally to slow any of the cars up. I just was focusing on myself. If Nico wanted to get by he could have tried but he didn’t."

Of course this sent the motorsport press into overdrive with talk of another dent in the relationship between the two drivers after their disagreements last year in Bahrain, Monaco, Hungry and subsequently Belgium. It seemed they have sorted everything out, although this new row has the potential to ruin the status quo the team has tried to maintain.

The team's top brass soon got involved in the dispute, with non-executive chairman and three time World Champion Niki Lauda responded by defending Hamilton. He gave his opinion to ESPNF1 "Sure, everyone drives selfish, I call them egocentric bastards. That is the only way to win and the only way to win the Championship, they are all the same. Nico is the same as Lewis and Lewis is the same to Nico if the sh*t hits the fan. I fully agree that's the way it is and therefore we race."

Toto Wolff also downplayed the drivers disagreement, telling reporters that "I think he didn't do it on purpose. We have cleared that now. There wasn't any intention from Lewis to slow Nico down in order to make him finish third or worse, 100 percent. He didn't know the gaps behind Nico, what he knew was that he had to take that tyre longer than we have ever run it the whole weekend. This is why he decided to slow down in the way he did."

Rosberg himself has also publicly downplayed his comments in the post-race press conference in a video blog. In response to a fan who asked why he didn't simply pass Hamilton rather than cry about it he said "You say that I was crying. OK, I respect your opinion, and I'll keep it in mind and I'll try to show respect when it's due going forward. And why didn't I attack Lewis? I also understand why you're asking that, and it may not be so easy to understand from outside, that's clear. But the reason is, I did try to attack him in the first stint, and it just didn't work. All I did was destroy my tyres."

He also added that any tension within the team had been eliminated soon after the race. He commented on this by saying "It was definitely intense after the race, but we had a very good sit down, a good discussion. There was a lot of constructive criticism, and now for everybody it's a thing of the past and we're moving on to Bahrain."

What are your thoughts on this difference of opinion between Rosberg and Hamilton? Please feel free to comment below.

It just feels like that this spat is manufactured for the media IMHO. The racing itself seems more important to me, the rest is just journalists being sneaky beakies.

... It's true that he should be happy Lewis slowed down and not cry about it ! Already he can't keep up to him, so if he was going slower that's a blessing more than anything else and yet he couldn't overtake... seems he's trying to make excuses for his lack of talent and the fact Hamilton is much more of a talented driver.

It definitely seems with this that Rosberg was just venting his frustration at being beaten again by Hamilton in form of Hamilton blocking him he should of kept it internal with the team instead of broadcasting it to the media. It does seem however that it was a storm in a teacup and seems like a nothing story now everyone has hopefully moved onto Bahrain.

... It's true that he should be happy Lewis slowed down and not cry about it ! Already he can't keep up to him, so if he was going slower that's a blessing more than anything else and yet he couldn't overtake... seems he's trying to make excuses for his lack of talent and the fact Hamilton is much more of a talented driver.

I gotta be honest, I don't think Hamilton is the most talented driver in F1... People like Vettel, Alonso and Raikkonen are just as talented, if not more so (even if Kimi needs a huge shot of motivation to do well). Not that Hamilton ISN'T talented, not saying that at all, but I disagree with how everybody portrays last years champion to be super fantastic when there other previous world champions on the grid who maybe aren't quite at home with their cars, the car just isn't competetive enough or even possibly at home with the teams etc etc... Damn media with their brainwashing :p

I also disagree with you when you say Rosberg lacks talent. Seems like a very capable driver to me.

Last edited:
Personally it seems Nico can't accept that he's just not quite as good as Lewis. Nico is a great driver and if Lewis wasn't driving, Nico would probably be the reigning champion, but that's not the case. Lewis is the best right now and its hard for Nico to admit that he's number 2. All drivers want to be number 1, they're all selfish, no one just learns to live with being the number 2 driver. The only reason he could keep up with Lewis is because Lewis was driving slower on purpose.

I gotta be honest, I don't think Hamilton is the most talented driver in F1... People like Vettel, Alonso and Raikkonen are just as talented, if not more so (even if Kimi needs a huge shot of motivation to do well). Not that Hamilton ISN'T talented, not saying that at all, but I disagree with how everybody portrays last years champion to be super fantastic when there other previous world champions on the grid who maybe aren't quite at home with their cars, the car just isn't competetive enough or even possibly at home with the teams etc etc... Damn media with their brainwashing :p

I also disagree with you when you say Rosberg lacks talent. Seems like a very capable driver to me.

Can't you see my picture ? I am number one Raikkonen fan and to me he's the best, but I still have a brain and I can still use it ! Hamilton has got talent to sell. Rosberg is not good... even Kid Verstappen seems to have more talent.

And Sebastian waits in the wings........won't be long. :cool:

Seb got lucky with the SC, I think Kimi was only 1.6 away from him and making time even closer with each sector.

Can't you see my picture ? I am number one Raikkonen fan and to me he's the best, but I still have a brain and I can still use it ! Hamilton has got talent to sell. Rosberg is not good... even Kid Verstappen seems to have more talent.

Seb got lucky with the SC, I think Kimi was only 1.6 away from him and making time even closer with each sector.

I'm a number one Raikkonen fan too, I much prefer him to Hamilton, but that's no reason to insunuate I'm stupid. If you genuinely think that there is no talent in Rosberg, how did he even get to F1? For that matter, why is Maldonado in F1. Lets not forget about the Carmen Jorda's, Max Chilton's.

By the way, you do know that Max Verstappen is actually an exceptional driver right? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Verstappen#Career_summary

Last edited:
To say Rosberg is not a good/excellent driver is just plain silly. He wouldn't be with Merc if he was average and untalented. Perhaps the car suits Hamilton better. You really can't design two totally different cars. Hamilton is clearly the defacto number one. Rosberg has to make some concessions with how the car is developed. Having said that, Rosberg needs to shut his face and drive the damn car. I hope he doesn't become a whiny bastard, like a previous Ferrari driver. :whistling: Look where that got him.:cry::speechless:

Swagg

I really can't see what Rosbergs moaning at, he says he slowed down so surely Rosberg could have pushed harder and took him, that was never the case he was always in Hamiltons pocket, when asked to speed up he pulled off 2 hotlaps just like that. Hamilton was always in control if you're moaning he's too slow then drive faster. As for talent they're all good drivers and it'd be interesting to see some in the same car to compare. To me though Hamilton and Alonso are the best with Raikkonen and Vettel just behind. Verstappen looks quality and the next big thing when he gets a better car. It'll always be opinion until they race the same car -with Mercedes it was close last year up to a point then Hamilton blew him away.

It's called the dirty air and it eats your front tyres :)
Yes. They were both full of crap. Half truths for both. But yes, passing in Formula 1 without the advantage of DRS is extremely hard. It upsets the following car, therefore, you're fighting with grip, which upsets the car's balance, which eats tires. Nico, next time qualify on pole. :thumbsup:

It's called the dirty air and it eats your front tyres :)

Well then Nico should have qualified on pole, but he didn't, it is what it is. If dirty air were such an issue, the pole position qualifier would always win since they usually get out in front first. The bottom line is that Hamilton was considerably quicker and proved it right before his tire change when he ripped off two back to back fastest laps, it was quite clear at that point he had been holding back.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 137 13.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 73 7.1%
  • < 5 years