Mercedes-Benz Launches the EQ Silver Arrow 01!

mercedes-benz-silver-arrow-eq01.jpg

The Silver Arrows turn 'green'.

Mercedes unveiled their all-electric racecar at this year's Geneva Motor Show, getting ready for the start in Season 6 (2019-2020) that will see the Stuttgart manufacturer compete for victory in the series against the names of Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Nissan and Porsche, not to count the private teams of NiO, Venturi, DS and Mahindra.

Starting from a Dallara "Gen2" chassis, as per regulation, manufacturers are free to design a number of parts, including the engine, the inverter and the gearbox. Taking advantage of that, Mercedes developed a 200 kW (270 hp) unit [250 kW (340 hp) for practice and qualifying] capable of launching the car in a spectacular 0-60mph of 2.7 seconds. Total weight is of about 907 kg (2000 pounds).

The vehicle is the result of a collaboration between multiple companies, namely McLaren, Lucid Motors (Atieva), Spark Technologies and Sony.

"The competition with Porsche, Audi and BMW, and all the other great manufacturers, will be a very special one; and I'm looking forward to it", said Toto Wolff, head of Mercedes-Benz Motorsport.

Like what you see here at RD? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 6919

I luv watching FE it's for more exciting than F1, the only thing I don't like is the fan boost, it's just a gimmick and a waste of time, apart from that all good.

Ah right. Formula E. The text in the article doesn't actually mention that.

Good catch ;)

Lewis will have a car with his name on it when he retires, he would be worth salary in fan pull alone

What could be a neat idea is for teams to sell " track day versions" complete with crew etc
stage pro-am ( with driver swaps :p ) as second tier series and stepping stone for youngsters

Interesting. I've been waiting to see what Daimler would be offering as they were listed as coming later, Porsche too. I have a video about FE on my channel if anyone wants to find out a bit more...

I'm not a follower of this series, and I can't be bothered to google the details. So call me ignorant but may I ask here how this series works? I know it's electric and some little details. But the cars, motors, battery and all... Do you buy them and just paint it with your livery? Or you build them from scratch just like F1?

How's it gonna be if Merc dominates this area as well? I guess instead of having more to watch, it will just go the other direction, at least for me. Not unless Ferrari decides they want a piece of this too. That will be very interesting! But I can't see that happening anytime soon. Not if they wanna pull the carpet on F1... That will make my day! And a whole week of laughing! :D

I'm not a follower of this series, and I can't be bothered to google the details. So call me ignorant but may I ask here how this series works? I know it's electric and some little details. But the cars, motors, battery and all... Do you buy them and just paint it with your livery? Or you build them from scratch just like F1?

How's it gonna be if Merc dominates this area as well? I guess instead of having more to watch, it will just go the other direction, at least for me. Not unless Ferrari decides they want a piece of this too. That will be very interesting! But I can't see that happening anytime soon. Not if they wanna pull the carpet on F1... That will make my day! And a whole week of laughing! :D

Certain parts of the cars are provided to the teams, bits like the drivetrain are built by the teams themselves.

I have tried to watch it, I find it odd. Like the boost they get for going over a certain piece of track, don't think there should be any fan boost.

They have the same everything , chassis, tyres, brakes, battery ...edit: I thought motor was same

Teams are able to use their own motor designs homologated with the FIA, or may procure one from an existing manufacturer with an FIA homologated design, at a cost of no more than €250,000
SRT / dallara chassis
McLaren Applied Technologies ( with other companies) are sole battery suppliers

FE is a mixture of manufacturers and private teams I guess much like F1

Yes you can buy a team for less then one F1 engine

I have tried to watch it, I find it odd. Like the boost they get for going over a certain piece of track, don't think there should be any fan boost.

Indeed! And they even have that charging crap or what they call that part of the track that you must pass on through to enable additional boost at the later part of the race. That one is what defines Mario Kart IMO. Being electric is already enough to define themselves away from any other series. Adding more awkward stuff make the series more awkward to watch too.

Anywayz... :sleep: No hate here... Just honest opinions. :cool:

I luv watching FE it's for more exciting than F1, the only thing I don't like is the fan boost, it's just a gimmick and a waste of time, apart from that all good.
Sorry, i rarely have to disagree, but FE really has to show its potential. Untill now its just bumper cars on steroids for grown-up pro drivers.
The tech is there, the drivers are there, the manufacturers are there as well. But the racing is really lacking finesse.

I don't think the Attack Boost is any more strange than the Joker Lap in RX. It adds an extra interest, to see when each driver decides to lose a small amount of time to go off-line and activate his boost, and then see what he can do with it.

The last couple of races I have seen have really been quite good, and reminded me of F1 back when they used to refuel and have the risk of running out of fuel in the last couple of laps :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 302 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 210 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 202 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 152 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 269 13.7%