F1 2017 Melbourne (Albert Park) - Australia (Dry)

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)
Car
Honda

Circuit
Melbourne

Condition
Dry

Distance
100%

Tyre Type
US

Aerodynamics
Front Wing Angle: 5
Rear Wing Angle: 3

Differential
On throttle: 80
Off throttle: 65

Suspension Geometry
Front Camber : -3.10
Rear Camber: -1.20
Front Toe: 0.12
Rear Toe : 0.38

Suspension
Front Suspension: 9
Rear Suspension: 4
Front Anti-Roll Bar: 9
Rear Anti-Roll Bar: 8
Front Ride Height: 4
Rear Ride Height: 6

Brakes

Brake Pressure: 76
Front Brake Bias: 52

Tyre Pressures
Front Tyre Pressure: 23.0
Rear Tyre Pressure: 20.7

Weight Distribution
Ballast: 8

Fuel Load
Kg: 10

Notes:
PS4, with logitech G29

Car
Mercedes

Circuit
Melbourne

Condition
Dry

Mode
TimeTrial

Aerodynamics
Front Wing Angle: 5
Rear Wing Angle: 4

Differential
On throttle: 82
Off throttle: 82

Suspension Geometry
Front Camber : -3.50
Rear Camber: -2.0
Front Toe: 0.15
Rear Toe : 0.50

Suspension
Front Suspension: 5
Rear Suspension: 6
Front Anti-Roll Bar: 6
Rear Anti-Roll Bar: 7
Rear Ride Height: 5

Brakes

Brake Pressure: 76
Front Brake Bias: 60

Tyre Pressures
Front Tyre Pressure: 23.0
Rear Tyre Pressure: 20.7

Weight Distribution
Ballast: 7

Notes:
PC, with Xbox 360 gamepad

Last edited:
Apologies for not posting a setup, but I'd like to ask a question. How much demand is there for setups here? I could do what I've done in previous years and post my setups as I make them, but if there's not much interest then I'm not sure I will.

Seems there's not many setups posted, unlike previous years when a mod usually makes template posts for every track whether it be dry or wet. I've been posting F1 setups since the 2011 game, and I'd like to continue the tradition if there's enough people who will benefit.

Apologies for not posting a setup, but I'd like to ask a question. How much demand is there for setups here? I could do what I've done in previous years and post my setups as I make them, but if there's not much interest then I'm not sure I will.

Seems there's not many setups posted, unlike previous years when a mod usually makes template posts for every track whether it be dry or wet. I've been posting F1 setups since the 2011 game, and I'd like to continue the tradition if there's enough people who will benefit.
that would be great i always liked youre setups and yes i was also suprised to see that there are not much setup post. mabey because there are a lot of setups also on steam.

Yeah the problem with those setups is we can't be sure of their exact conditions and it's difficult to give feedback so they can be tweaked further.

This year I continue with the trend of using an Xbox controller with Full traction, ABS brakes and Auto gears. I've been meaning to cut these assists but I like consistent play and if I was going to drop them, it would be after I've got my setups.

I also play with assists because not everyone has the time (or skill) to learn how to drive without them, or they might not have a wheel setup. You can't have the same setup if you drop these assists. I've tried setups by players who don't use any assists and they (usually) don't work for me.

Unlike previous years where I would post all my Time Trial setups before moving on to Career setups (which meant a long wait for some), this time I've decided to make setups in the following way:

1. I do 60-120 laps in Time Trial. Sometimes I'll use my 2016 setup as a base, but in my last race (Bahrain) I just went ahead and punched in some numbers and tweaked it from that. It's frustrating because there's always a ghost to beat, and I keep beating these ghosts til I feel I'd need to lose assists to beat them (you can tell when you're against a ghost who uses manual gears). When the car feels great and I'm tired of TT, I'll save it and move on.
  2. Career Mode Practice Programs are better this year, as not only can you do Track Acclimatization, Tyre Wear, and Qualifying Pace, you can also do Fuel Saving and Race Strategy. I get Acclimatization out of the way first, and if I'm struggling to get Optimal then I'll tweak and start over.
  3. I don't mind doing Tyre Wear in Practice 1, although if you're struggling to beat the delta then you may want to do it in Practice 2 when the track has more grip. I've noticed it's not a detriment to load up on camber as the tires last very well in races. Luckily you don't need to do a million laps (over-exaggeration) to complete it unlike in 2016.
  4. I'm still trying to understand Fuel Saving and how to get the most out of the program. You have to slow down severely to get optimal. In a race situation it wouldn't seem natural to back off that much .. although I have tried to do it sometimes when I've ran Rich mode too long in the first stint. Usually save it for P2 to help with grip, as you're not going fast enough to keep tire temps up. I can't tweak the car for this really .. at least not yet.
  5. Race Strategy program is excellent. It helps the engineers decide your best pit strategies and you can do it with more than one tire .. so if you don't like the hardest compound you can do two of these with the Ultras/Supersoft or Supersoft/Soft depending. Or if you're fighting at the back of the grid, you might be better off focusing on the two hardest tires so you can run long and get the correct pit windows.
  6. Qualifying Pace should be saved for Q3. It's like extra practice for your best lap in the actual qualifying session, and it's fun to see where you end up compared to other teams at the end of the session.
I wasn't sure how difficult the AI would be, so I set my career to 80%. After finishing 2nd in Australia in a Sauber (consider Lewis, Seb & Valterri retired) I figured it was too easy. I didn't want to start over, so I kept going with it and I find myself with a pace which is quicker than the Red Bulls, but not as quick as the Mercs & Ferrari's. I love the new R & D section, but I've also noticed other teams progressing quickly and their pace is increasing, so I may find myself falling back through the field as the season continues because Sauber has little resources. If the Mercs & Ferrari's finish the race I'm looking at an average of 5th place at the moment.

Again I apologise for not posting a driver setup, but I felt it was best I explain how I make my Race Setups so those who are unfamiliar know it often takes me hours to find something I like. My setups might not suit your driving style, so I don't mind if you tweak them as long as you don't re-post 'em without giving credit to me.

Last thing I'll say is 2016 setups really don't work in this game. I tried using my 2016 China setup in Time Trial and the first time I took a quick left turn the car oversteered so bad I drifted almost in to a full spin. There's a lot of power coming from the back of the car, so I like a setup which has a little oversteer, but has a back end which sticks firmly so I can get good traction out of corners and not suffer on the straights. I've been playing with Ballast and Brake Bias a lot to ensure the best balance. I will only be posting Race Setups after this one. If anyone has questions about what I post, they should be redirected here. Thank you.

Car
Sauber

Condition
Dry

Distance
100%

Aerodynamics
Front Wing Angle: 8
Rear Wing Angle: 7

Differential
On throttle: 75%
Off throttle: 80%

Suspension Geometry
Front Camber: -2.70
Rear Camber: -1.10
Front Toe: 0.11
Rear Toe: 0.35

Suspension
Front Suspension: 6
Rear Suspension: 7
Front Anti-Roll Bar: 9
Rear Anti-Roll Bar: 9
Rear Ride Height: 4

Brakes

Brake Pressure: 80%
Front Brake Bias: 58%

Tyre Pressures

Front Tyre Pressure: 22.2
Rear Tyre Pressure: 20.3

Weight Distribution
Ballast: 7

Notes
See Above. Can be used for Race or Time Trial.

22382183_1922148538036171_6079165200435448978_o.jpg

Last edited:

Kyle
I've used your set-ups exclusively for 2013 and 2016.
I'm about to get 2017 but without your set-ups available it's like losing my R&D guy.

I'd really appreciate you posting 2017 set-ups if it's not too much trouble.
If it is - I'll pay for them
Doug

I already have dude. Currently you can find Australia (just one post above yours), China, Bahrain & Russia. I'm about to post Spain, and I'll be doing Monaco sometime this week.

Thanks for your set ups please don’t stop them, like a lot of people I like your set ups and follow them since I remember

Yeah the problem with those setups is we can't be sure of their exact conditions and it's difficult to give feedback so they can be tweaked further.

This year I continue with the trend of using an Xbox controller with Full traction, ABS brakes and Auto gears. I've been meaning to cut these assists but I like consistent play and if I was going to drop them, it would be after I've got my setups.

I also play with assists because not everyone has the time (or skill) to learn how to drive without them, or they might not have a wheel setup. You can't have the same setup if you drop these assists. I've tried setups by players who don't use any assists and they (usually) don't work for me.

Unlike previous years where I would post all my Time Trial setups before moving on to Career setups (which meant a long wait for some), this time I've decided to make setups in the following way:

1. I do 60-120 laps in Time Trial. Sometimes I'll use my 2016 setup as a base, but in my last race (Bahrain) I just went ahead and punched in some numbers and tweaked it from that. It's frustrating because there's always a ghost to beat, and I keep beating these ghosts til I feel I'd need to lose assists to beat them (you can tell when you're against a ghost who uses manual gears). When the car feels great and I'm tired of TT, I'll save it and move on.
  2. Career Mode Practice Programs are better this year, as not only can you do Track Acclimatization, Tyre Wear, and Qualifying Pace, you can also do Fuel Saving and Race Strategy. I get Acclimatization out of the way first, and if I'm struggling to get Optimal then I'll tweak and start over.
  3. I don't mind doing Tyre Wear in Practice 1, although if you're struggling to beat the delta then you may want to do it in Practice 2 when the track has more grip. I've noticed it's not a detriment to load up on camber as the tires last very well in races. Luckily you don't need to do a million laps (over-exaggeration) to complete it unlike in 2016.
  4. I'm still trying to understand Fuel Saving and how to get the most out of the program. You have to slow down severely to get optimal. In a race situation it wouldn't seem natural to back off that much .. although I have tried to do it sometimes when I've ran Rich mode too long in the first stint. Usually save it for P2 to help with grip, as you're not going fast enough to keep tire temps up. I can't tweak the car for this really .. at least not yet.
  5. Race Strategy program is excellent. It helps the engineers decide your best pit strategies and you can do it with more than one tire .. so if you don't like the hardest compound you can do two of these with the Ultras/Supersoft or Supersoft/Soft depending. Or if you're fighting at the back of the grid, you might be better off focusing on the two hardest tires so you can run long and get the correct pit windows.
  6. Qualifying Pace should be saved for Q3. It's like extra practice for your best lap in the actual qualifying session, and it's fun to see where you end up compared to other teams at the end of the session.
I wasn't sure how difficult the AI would be, so I set my career to 80%. After finishing 2nd in Australia in a Sauber (consider Lewis, Seb & Valterri retired) I figured it was too easy. I didn't want to start over, so I kept going with it and I find myself with a pace which is quicker than the Red Bulls, but not as quick as the Mercs & Ferrari's. I love the new R & D section, but I've also noticed other teams progressing quickly and their pace is increasing, so I may find myself falling back through the field as the season continues because Sauber has little resources. If the Mercs & Ferrari's finish the race I'm looking at an average of 5th place at the moment.

Again I apologise for not posting a driver setup, but I felt it was best I explain how I make my Race Setups so those who are unfamiliar know it often takes me hours to find something I like. My setups might not suit your driving style, so I don't mind if you tweak them as long as you don't re-post 'em without giving credit to me.

Last thing I'll say is 2016 setups really don't work in this game. I tried using my 2016 China setup in Time Trial and the first time I took a quick left turn the car oversteered so bad I drifted almost in to a full spin. There's a lot of power coming from the back of the car, so I like a setup which has a little oversteer, but has a back end which sticks firmly so I can get good traction out of corners and not suffer on the straights. I've been playing with Ballast and Brake Bias a lot to ensure the best balance. I will only be posting Race Setups after this one. If anyone has questions about what I post, they should be redirected here. Thank yo

Last thing I'll say is 2016 setups really don't work in this game. I tried using my 2016 China setup in Time Trial and the first time I took a quick left turn the car oversteered so bad I drifted almost in to a full spin. There's a lot of power coming from the back of the car, so I like a setup which has a little oversteer, but has a back end which sticks firmly so I can get good traction out of corners and not suffer on the straights. I've been playing with Ballast and Brake Bias a lot to ensure the best balance. I will only be posting Race Setups after this one. If anyone has questions about what I post, they should be redirected here. Thank you.
Im not sure if you are a Mclaren fan but I would like to see more set ups for that team, my favorite in good and bad times, thank you!

Hi man, I'm not planning on posting any McLaren setups, as I'll likely end up using the setups I posted on any car I drive. While this isn't the best for some people .. it's acceptable to me (remember that I make the setup in Time Trial first using a Mercedes before doing any tweaks, if needed, before I enter parc ferme conditions with my Sauber in a Race weekend). I know the cars are different, but it's difficult for me to know exactly how each car works, unless I spend a crazy amount of time with each. I don't have time for that, I only just have enough time to do a Career Race with my Sauber every now and then.

However, what I will say based on last season .. is the McLaren is mighty around the corners. My setups like corners, I know my Sauber is never going to beat a Mercedes powered car in a straight line, which is why I made the setups with the best driveability in mind (to get the best exits). Due to the horrible Honda engine, you could still use my setups, but I would consider getting more straight line speed by adjusting the front and back wings. If you can bring them lower (but not too low!), you should have a good McLaren setup.

My setups are never finalized. In the past I've often finished a season and been relieved to post my setups, but I almost always end up tweaking them later, as I've gotten used to the track, the car, and the way the game works going in to a second season. I can afford to lower the wings for example, or I might remember that the setup was harsh on tyres in my first season (so I tweak cambers, anti rolls bars etc), so my setups are never completely final, and are easy to tweak to suit your driving style and the car you drive.

Hi Kyle, I love setups since 2013 I think, I've been away, but I always take yours first to test them and if I'm happy with them, I use them in my racings with friends.
Thanks a lot and keep posting! :-D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 76 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 54 8.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 63 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 36 5.9%
  • < 5 years