Mechanical Failures

Is there any "simple" possibility to increase the probability of mechanical failures in offline racing? I tried both settings ("On" and "Time-controlled"), but in both cases, the AI seem not to suffer from any failures. Should be something within the damage.ini, but I am not sure, which value I must change there.

Last edited:
Is there any "simple" possibility to increase the probability of mechanical failures in offline racing? I tried both settings ("On" and "Time-controlled"), but in both cases, the AI seem not to suffer from any failures. Should be something within the damage.ini, but I am not sure, which value I must change there.

Open up the particular vehicle´s engine.ini file, you will find these lines....
LifetimeAvg=20000
LifetimeVar=1000

The first one gives the average time before failure, (they are random, not just engine failures but brakes, suspension etc) the second the variance.
In this case 20000 is 5 and a half hours, Reiza made all the cars bulletproof!
Turn the Avg down and you should see some failures.

For example, if you set LifetimeAvg to be 3600 and LifetimeVar to be 3600 as well, you´ll have cars suffering failures at any time between 0 (race start, 3600-3600) and 3600 plus 3600= 2 hours, by which time they´ll all have failed.

hmmm well, in fact they are not random, the var depends on engineRPM and oiltemp,

Take a look at this (it's the same for rF2)

LifetimeEngineRPM=(<optimalrpm>,<range where lifetime is reduced>)

LifetimeOilTemp=(<optimaltemp>,<range where lifetime is reduced>)

LifetimeAvg=<average lifetime in seconds>

hmmm well, in fact they are not random, the var depends on engineRPM and oiltemp,

That´s interesting! I experimented quite a lot with this, but a year or so back, I don´t remember too well. I defer to your greater wisdom!
I remember reducing the lifetimeAvg and increasing the variance, it worked fine, except for gearbox failures occurring amongst the AI.
They would then lap the circuit stuck in gear, completely ruining the race. All other failures, engine, brakes, suspension made them retire immediately and greatly added to the immersion.
I asked for a fix regarding the gearbox behaviour, but nothing came of it. The hyperwearthreshold and instantblowup values don´t affect the AI unfortunately.

So @Salvatore Sirignano the lifetimeavg and var is for other things apart from the engine? Or do those other factors have to be edited in the HDV files, it's just I'm working on a mod right now ;) and I need to know about reliability as that's one of the final parts I'm working on before release.

I believe it can be done in the hdv file, as well as in the upgrades if you wish to set it as an option for realistic reliability.
It is for things other than the engine I think, I posted a thread over at the Reiza forums asking if they could take out the gearbox failures, because all the failures (suspension, brakes, engine) led to the AI retiring on the spot (good) except for gearbox failures which made them trundle around the circuit for the rest of the race in whatever gear they were stuck in, completely ruining it....
The default cars avoid this problem by having extremely long lifespans...

Just tested this out, and it was I thought, the RPM parameters aren´t modelled for the AI. The lifetime average works and generates failures, if you set lifetimeavg to be 120 and lifetimevar to be 120, every AI car will have failed within 4 minutes, and it´ll be brakes, suspension, engine etc.

But sometimes it throws a gearbox failure, I loaded the Maserati 250F and the affected AI crawls round on the limiter at 8500RPM. The AI shift at 8200rpm so I then set LifetimeEngineRPM to be (8250, 1) - so at 8251 RPM its lifetime has supposedly halved. At 8500RPM it should blow up immediately.
The result - no change - AI will still drive lap after lap (until their next random failure) at 8500RPM. Give it a try for yourself...

Just tested this out, and it was I thought, the RPM parameters aren´t modelled for the AI. The lifetime average works and generates failures, if you set lifetimeavg to be 120 and lifetimevar to be 120, every AI car will have failed within 4 minutes, and it´ll be brakes, suspension, engine etc.

But sometimes it throws a gearbox failure, I loaded the Maserati 250F and the affected AI crawls round on the limiter at 8500RPM. The AI shift at 8200rpm so I then set LifetimeEngineRPM to be (8250, 1) - so at 8251 RPM its lifetime has supposedly halved. At 8500RPM it should blow up immediately.
The result - no change - AI will still drive lap after lap (until their next random failure) at 8500RPM. Give it a try for yourself...
Good to know, thanks for the info.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 371 16.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years