Mechanical failures in cars for both AI and player.

Sergio Loro

Premium
As a mostly offline user of vintage cars and circuits and fighting with AI I would love to see cars that break down, their engines fail, their gearboxes, suffer punctures, suspension problems and others, random, of course considering the use that is given to them as well.
AI drivers trying to get to the pits at a slower speed, why not smoking or losing oil, in long races why not a car where its gearbox is stuck in "X" gear and more. it would be great for me, hahaha.

Last edited:
Yea for offline AI races, that should definitely be an option.

However, if they plan to implement an online rating system, I believe that shouldn't exist alongside it. Yes failures happen IRL, but most times they're not random: components used past its rated life cycle, negligence by mechanics during installation (or maintenance) and/or just bad or inefficient design of the component.

not really random, it can happen if you overdrive or hit the wall/other people, a big curb or debris. But not random at all. There are hours spend to prepare for race. You can accept race incidents, that's part of a race. not random failures.
well, "random" maybe is not the correct word, but something like GPL, and mostly focused on vintage racing where 40% or even more did not finish a event because that, dont know if is OK for modern racing, but for vintage for sure.

not really random, it can happen if you overdrive or hit the wall/other people, a big curb or debris. But not random at all. There are hours spend to prepare for race. You can accept race incidents, that's part of a race. not random failures.
Also this, let erratic behaviour on track be penalized by those random failures, depending on what part of the car the driver is punishing...

As a mostly offline user of vintage cars and circuits and fighting with AI I would love to see cars that break down, their engines fail, their gearboxes, suffer punctures, suspension problems and others, random, of course considering the use that is given to them as well.
AI drivers trying to get to the pits at a slower speed, why not smoking or losing oil, in long races why not a car where its gearbox is stuck in "X" gear and more. it would be great for me, hahaha.
This is a great idea. RF1 had something like this partially going for it where you could set a cars engine "lifespan" and variance of such where you could make cars that were lemons IRL have a higher chance of falling out due to terminal issues. The later Papyrus games did a great job with this, from GPL to NR2003, with the ability for cars to fall out due to various mechanical gremlins. Heck IIRC even in Dirt to Daytona there was a chance for random issues to befall your car during races, something not very relevant more than once or twice every 50-100 or so races in short sprint races, but definately something to watch out for in longer distance events.

Last edited:
I have thought about this before too. I think it would be cool to have it maybe not just random but have a percentage system where if you mis a gear or over rev the engine or make contact with a other car or wall, were that put your car in a random percentage for possible failure on that particular part or system. (ie) Make contact with an other car on your right front, now a random scale is used to decide if you have a puncture.

If there are going to be mechanical failures I would like the option of a slider for how often they happen e.g. on average, a 1960 Formula 1 mod race should have more mechanical failures than a 2022 Formula 1 mod race.

I would also like to see a slider for how often each type (e.g. engine failure, gearbox failure, electrical failure etc.) happen, on average.

Until it happens to you. This is like the night and rain discussion, or full damage model. Everyone thinks it's "cool", but hardly anyone uses it when its implemented, and it's a pain in the ass to get it right for a developer.

Until it happens to you. This is like the night and rain discussion, or full damage model. Everyone thinks it's "cool", but hardly anyone uses it when its implemented, and it's a pain in the ass to get it right for a developer.
I will use it for sure too, if it would be implemented. As for the full damage. Everyone always says, well then some A-hole will ruin your race because you'll be damaged out. But my feeling is, said A-hole already ruined your race. Now if his car was damaged out then he would only be able to ruin one persons race. As opposed to 10% of the field or more. I also would believe that the people that like to go into online races to cause mayhem, would be less attractive because they would only get one chance. I think that they should have a sim setting and more arcade settings for people that don't want a more complete sim experience.

Hello old thread!

To update my original answer: I think if a car crashed and left random pieces of car parts everywhere, they should simulate a chance of getting a puncture and/or other mechanical damage if you drive over it...offline or online. This would also require a functioning safety car and/or enforced double yellow flags to allow cleanup of the debris.

If you push a mechanical part too hard too often (over-rev engine, shift incorrectly, etc), it should be destroyed after enough abuse...again online or offline.

Still don't agree with "random" damage though, as the only truly random damage is the random mechanic messing up, or someone (or some machine) at the factory screwing up in fabrication of that part. This is sim-racing not sim-incompetency :roflmao:

As much as some of you say you want it, the day you're having the best battle ever and your car breaks down because of a random breakdown slider, you'll reconsider.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 262 13.6%