McLaren to run Special Alonso Livery in Abu Dhabi

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Alonso McLaren Livery 2.jpg

To celebrate the career and probable retirement of Fernando Alonso this coming weekend, McLaren Renault have released a special one off livery for the Abu Dhabi season finale.

With two World Championships, 32 race wins, 97 podiums and a reputation amongst his peers as arguably the finest driver of his generation, 37-year-old Fernando Alonso will bow out of Formula One at the season ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix this weekend. In a quest to celebrate the career of the mercurial Spaniard as it comes to a close in just 4 days time, his McLaren team have confirmed a rather lovely looking special livery for their outgoing driver will be run throughout the course of the final race of the 2018 Formula One season.

Running a one off colour scheme for the first time since Keke Rosberg in 1985, McLaren CEO Zak Brown commented on how keen the team are to see off Alonso in fine style this weekend, before embarking on a new chapter for the team in 2019 with Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris taking up driving duties for the Woking outfit:

“We’re incredibly pleased and proud to be able to race a special one-off livery for Fernando in Abu Dhabi this weekend. We want his last grand prix to feel special in every way, and this was just one of the ways we could reflect that.

“We worked closely and collaboratively with Fernando, and then with the FIA and Formula 1 to make the change for this one race, and they were all hugely supportive of the move.

“Hopefully, this will give Fernando’s fans a little something extra to look forward to at what is bound to be an especially emotional weekend.”
Alonso McLaren Livery 1.jpg

With Abu Dhabi marking what is likely to be the final race of Alonso's 18-year stay in the top flight, the team have modified the current largely orange colour scheme of the 2018 MCL33, basing the new changes on distinctive blue, yellow and red of Alonso's traditional helmet colours, a design which pays homage to the drivers home region of Asturias in northern Spain, and includes a specially commissioned FA insignia on the top and sides of the cockpit.

Alonso McLaren Livery 3.jpg

For more from the world of Grand Prix racing, don't forget to check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Nobody can confirm that your decisions will be the right ones when you take them. Even after more than a decade after his last championship win, mostly everybody recognize him as one of the greatest ever.

Respect might count more than titles when he is still remembered as one of the greatest in thirty years. But today, its little bit sad that he hasn't won more. Anyway, great driver, great competitor.

Instead of commenting on Fernando Alonso's career and how it was ruined by McLaren or others, or how everyone wishes it could have ended better, I'm going to comment on the car, which is the actual purpose of this article.

My personal opinion, that is one of the best liveries I've ever seen. I can see no less than six different colors in quite a bold fashion. It think it looks amazing, and someone next season should consider something striking or bold in similar ways and using multiple colors.

Instead of commenting on Fernando Alonso's career and how it was ruined by McLaren or others, or how everyone wishes it could have ended better, I'm going to comment on the car, which is the actual purpose of this article.

My personal opinion, that is one of the best liveries I've ever seen. I can see no less than six different colors in quite a bold fashion. It think it looks amazing, and someone next season should consider something striking or bold in similar ways and using multiple colors.
I agree. Ive always thought the blue wings looked horrible on the all orange car, but the addition of the other colors really helps bring it all together.

Awesome livery. As for McLaren, they were pretty quiet during the entire year. I hope they manage to build a better chassis for the next year. Imagine the shame of staying behind RBR with a Honda engine.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 86 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 69 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 42 6.2%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 93 13.7%