Paul Jeffrey

Premium
McLaren Honda Baku Struggle 7.jpg

After a disastrous qualification that saw both McLaren cars eliminated in Q1, Racing Director Eric Boullier labelled Baku the "most painful weekend" of his seven year association with the sport.

The struggle for performance from the McLaren Honda partnership has been well documented across many different media channels these past few years, however after one of the most uncompetitive sessions of the teams recent history in Baku, when neither superstar team leader Fernando Alonso nor rookie talent Stoffel Vandoorne managed to lift themselves out of the opening session of qualification, McLaren Racing Director Eric Boullier was dumbfounded by his teams lack of competitive edge.

"I guess you know my answer," said Boullier when speaking about his teams performance following their failure to progress from the opening round.

"I'm a racer like these guys (drivers), so this is the most painful weekend I've ever had, I think."

Another disaster from McLaren was not altogether unexpected on a circuit that places a premium on horsepower that still remains severely lacking in the back of the orange cars, however for a team of the pedigree and budget McLaren still hold no one can be left believing that a 16th and 19th place result is anything other than unacceptable to the Woking concern.

Rumours within Formula One continue to persist that the initial five year partnership between the two manufacturers could be terminated early, with Mercedes waiting in the wings with a ready supply of the same power units once supplied to the now defunct Manor squad practically sat on a shelf back in Brixworth just waiting to be installed in the back of a competitive outfit. These rumours seemed to gather momentum recently with the deal to bring Honda power to Sauber from 2018 onwards, seen by many as a fail safe choice from the Japanese giants such they find themselves without a team in which to supply at the end of the current season.

Regardless of what the future may hold for both McLaren and Honda in the coming months and years, one thing is for sure and that is both parties absolutely must find another level of performance in the immediate future or risk irreversible damage to their proud racing legacy.

Check out the Azerbaijan Grand Prix race thread for all the session reports and race discussion during the Azerbaijan Grand Prix weekend!

McLaren Honda Baku Struggle 2.jpg
McLaren Honda Baku Struggle 3.jpg
McLaren Honda Baku Struggle 5.jpg
McLaren Honda Baku Struggle 4.jpg
McLaren Honda Baku Struggle Vandoorne.jpg
McLaren Honda Baku Struggle.jpg
McLaren Honda Baku Struggle Alonso.jpg

For more news and discussion regarding the world of Grand Prix racing check out the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and get yourself in on the action today!

What do you think of McLarens Baku weekend and season in general this year? What do you think McLaren could do to lift themselves out of this current slump? Do you think the team can lift themselves back to the top of the field within the next couple of years? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
When does the word "struggle" get replaced with "normal operations"?

So,"McLaren normal operations continue at Baku". Seems to be that's where this is headed...

And the F1's idiotic penalty system showing it's side once again this year starting from here. Combined 70-Grid penaltie's for Mclaren's... And this was BEFORE qualifying! :poop:

I'm curious McLaren chassis is truly one of the best they claimed? I don't deny Honda PU is worst, but Redbull in similar situation is very competitive. If their chassis had top level performance, they should be on top of mid-field, the very least at non-power circuit. But, in reality, they always struggle to go through Q1. Do they hide their poor performance of chassis behind worst performance PU? Or just the loss by poor PU is beyond the gain by one of the best chassis?

It is looking more & more like , the re-marriage of Mclaren & Honda is not bringing back the success they both enjoyed back in the late 80's & 90's.
Mclaren can not afford to stick with this deal for much longer.
I think for Honda it would be better to move to lower placed team & to continue developing their hybrid power unit with less pressure on them & a less press attention.
It would have been nice for both McLaren & Honda if things had worked out.
Ending their deal would be good for both in the long term .

I'm curious McLaren chassis is truly one of the best they claimed? I don't deny Honda PU is worst, but Redbull in similar situation is very competitive. If their chassis had top level performance, they should be on top of mid-field, the very least at non-power circuit. But, in reality, they always struggle to go through Q1. Do they hide their poor performance of chassis behind worst performance PU? Or just the loss by poor PU is beyond the gain by one of the best chassis?
I think Barcelona and Monaco demonstrated the strength of the chassis, the PU on the other hand appears to have a massive deficit!! I don't think I've seen an engine struggle so badly against it's rivals!! Even when the Renault lacked power during Red bulls dominant seasons, it was noted for it's strength in drivability in other area's and the same when they helped Alonso to his title's!! Honda however, just seems poor in every area!! :-(

During Friday free practice, Alonso was 17 mph off the fastest (Force India) in the speed trap - and that was with Honda's latest update. Vandoorne was 21 mph off without the update. When you lack that much power, you can have the best chassis in the world and still find yourself sitting next to a Sauber.

You could argue the L190 had the best aero chassis of all time if they'd of placed the airbox 3inches higher.

View attachment 198300
After a disastrous qualification that saw both McLaren cars eliminated in Q1, Racing Director Eric Boullier labelled Baku the "most painful weekend" of his seven year association with the sport.

The struggle for performance from the McLaren Honda partnership has been well documented across many different media channels these past few years, however after one of the most uncompetitive sessions of the teams recent history in Baku, when neither superstar team leader Fernando Alonso nor rookie talent Stoffel Vandoorne managed to lift themselves out of the opening session of qualification, McLaren Racing Director Eric Boullier was dumbfounded by his teams lack of competitive edge.

"I guess you know my answer," said Boullier when speaking about his teams performance following their failure to progress from the opening round.

"I'm a racer like these guys (drivers), so this is the most painful weekend I've ever had, I think."

Another disaster from McLaren was not altogether unexpected on a circuit that places a premium on horsepower that still remains severely lacking in the back of the orange cars, however for a team of the pedigree and budget McLaren still hold no one can be left believing that a 16th and 19th place result is anything other than unacceptable to the Woking concern.

Rumours within Formula One continue to persist that the initial five year partnership between the two manufacturers could be terminated early, with Mercedes waiting in the wings with a ready supply of the same power units once supplied to the now defunct Manor squad practically sat on a shelf back in Brixworth just waiting to be installed in the back of a competitive outfit. These rumours seemed to gather momentum recently with the deal to bring Honda power to Sauber from 2018 onwards, seen by many as a fail safe choice from the Japanese giants such they find themselves without a team in which to supply at the end of the current season.

Regardless of what the future may hold for both McLaren and Honda in the coming months and years, one thing is for sure and that is both parties absolutely must find another level of performance in the immediate future or risk irreversible damage to their proud racing legacy.

Check out the Azerbaijan Grand Prix race thread for all the session reports and race discussion during the Azerbaijan Grand Prix weekend!

View attachment 198295 View attachment 198296 View attachment 198298 View attachment 198297View attachment 198302 View attachment 198303 View attachment 198301

For more news and discussion regarding the world of Grand Prix racing check out the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and get yourself in on the action today!

What do you think of McLarens Baku weekend and season in general this year? What do you think McLaren could do to lift themselves out of this current slump? Do you think the team can lift themselves back to the top of the field within the next couple of years? Let us know in the comments section below!
They are having bad problems right now.

I know this painful for McLaren, we need more manufactures in F1... it proves that all engines are good..

It will show, no matter what car you are in, you are at the top of the sport.

Honda, should not pull out of F1, go with a lesser team and get the engine right... I think maybe later they wlll competing again in the near future...

If BMW, Toyota, Ford came back it would be a very interesting championship...

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 143 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 269 27.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 394 40.0%