McLaren in Informal Engine Talks with Mercedes

mclaren mercedes.jpg
When Honda returned to Formula One with McLaren, there was plenty of talk of the glory days of Senna and Prost. Since then, people’s expectations for McLaren have dropped considerably, and now the team is in informal discussions with Mercedes about returning to the German engines.

McLaren is just “evaluating options in the event the relationship with Honda cannot be made to work” but, with the relationship not having been made to work so far, it seems like a switch to Mercedes engines in the near future is more than likely.

Though Eric Boullier said during testing last week that there was no plan to end the Honda relationship, he told the Spanish press the team could win with a Mercedes engine.

It would almost definitely be the best choice for McLaren on the race track. Though it would mean a car redesign as the current car was designed with the Honda engine in mind, the Mercedes engine would certainly mean an improvement for McLaren, who were the slowest team in preseason testing.

But it’s not just the on track impact that would come into the decision.

First, McLaren would need to find a way out of the multi-year contract with Honda.

Honda supply free engines to McLaren, whereas becoming a Mercedes customer team would require an annual fee of £14.8 million. Then there’s the fact Honda pays half McLaren’s driver-salary bill (no small contribution with Fernando Alonso on board), and pay a “significant” sponsorship contribution.

Where McLaren would make up the time on the track, it would be a huge financial blow to the team. McLaren’s shareholders would have to plug the gap themselves for the time being, as McLaren is yet to secure a major sponsorship deal.

And finally, can McLaren win a championship with Mercedes? Back when the team switched to Honda power, the team – and Ron Dennis in particular – said it was impossible for a customer team to win the championship and, so far in the new era, neither of Mercedes customer teams have been close to the reigning champions. And to be fighting for the championship is what star driver Alonso has always said he wanted to do.

Of course, it's not really in a position to win championships with Honda, but McLaren would be taking the step back to where it was in 2014, making the whole journey with Honda a waste of time.

Talks between McLaren and Mercedes are informal and no resolution has been decided, but this can’t be good news for Honda’s morale.

For more Formula One news and discussions head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with your fellow community members.

Should McLaren return to Mercedes power or do you want to see them push on with Honda? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
They should stick it out with Honda.
If Alonso wants to jump ship so be it; there are good drivers around that would be happy to get into a MacLaren car...even one that is under performing.
With all the problems reverting back to Merc' engines, (new chassis design for one), they would not be front runners by far this coming season anyway and a lot can happen in a year with Honda.

Noone can blame Mclaren to go looking elsewhere really. Honda had plenty of time (over 3 seasons) to produce a reliable engine and so far they failed miserably. It's normal their patience is wearing thin.
I do think that they shouldn't be pressured by an Alonso exit if they fail to deliver this season. Yes, he's one of the better drivers on the grid but there other good (and cheaper) drivers too.

The only thing that worries me is that if they do switch from engine supplier they really need to do a whole redesign of the chassis etc..

I would make the switch but only they know the financial implications and then there's time which they do not have.
Back in the days you could not touch Mclaren with all the sponsorship deals they had until they made the engine change and then gradually they started loosing all their sponsors which of Mercedes reaped the benefits.
To me that would make the most sense and I think everybody would like to see Mclaren competing on top again. Sure's hell would make the race a lot more interesting with Alonso killing it with his driving style and passion.

It'll be interesting to see what happens presumably Mercedes still have Manor's engines for 2017 ready (since not long out of business) Wonder if they would fit nicely in a Mclaren.

As a Hondafan I would stick with them, but i fully understand why mc laren is looking at other options. As mclaren i wouldn't let me be put under pressure by alonso. The guy is good but way too expensive. I do hope for stoffel that honda cleand up this mess soon. I really d like to see what he's able to do with a competitive car...

Honestly Honda's continued failure to produce a good powerplant really show the absurdity of this formula. These things are way too complex for a manufacturer to jump into the fray and expect to be competitive in a reasonable period of time. 3 years and they still haven't figured it out. It is only made worse by the testing restrictions in the name of cost cutting. If F1 wants all this high tech stuff as part of the sport, then they should open the ability for the teams to test the hardware properly. If they want to keep costs down, then they should use simpler and proven technology.

Honestly Honda's continued failure to produce a good powerplant really show the absurdity of this formula. These things are way too complex for a manufacturer to jump into the fray and expect to be competitive in a reasonable period of time. 3 years and they still haven't figured it out. It is only made worse by the testing restrictions in the name of cost cutting. If F1 wants all this high tech stuff as part of the sport, then they should open the ability for the teams to test the hardware properly. If they want to keep costs down, then they should use simpler and proven technology.

100% Agree

I backed McLaren when they decided the way to win was to not have a Mercedes engine, but I was exceptical if Honda were be able to deliver in time because the complexities imposed by the current UP designs. It was a difficult move to do, but in F1 if you don't take risks you don't win.

I don't know what would do inside MCL pants today :-(

Sorry for adding on to a post a couple of weeks old but this has really been niggling away on my mind.
All the manufacturer teams that currently compete, Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault, don't they not only design the chassis but also build the power units?
Anyone know why McLaren has to outsource when the others don't?

This will be a guess, but I simply dont think they have the resources for it. Money and knowledge. Creating road car engines is not the same as creating F1 powerunits. Also, by outsourcing the PU means they can concentrate on the chassis development, or thats the idea. In reality they cant with all the PU issues.

But I agree that if McLaren ever wants to win a championship again, with the current engine formula, they need an in-house engine development and cut the link to Japan. It will take time, and money, but eventually they'll catch up. Honda has been a disaster in F1 since the early 90's when the turbos dissapeared. Their last foray in the 00's was riddled with issues as well with engines blowing up left right and center. But at least they made decent power back then.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back