McLaren Finally Losing Patience With Honda in Formula One?

It's not like DTM would need some new manufacturers sooner or later (rather sooner), but eg. the old chairman Aufrecht always delayed the merger in fear of the Japanese. Hope that things will change with Gerhard Berger, but I doubt it - as the constructors still have way too much power in DTM.
Alfa Romeo seems destined to come back, the Giulia QV is the absolute perfect chassis for the regulations. That said, i'd still love a merge with the GT500 (and maybe some US class if they manage to make fast touring cars) and execute this "Class One" idea

DTM was over 8 seconds faster then GT3 class in Hockenheim, while GT500 is on average 7-8 seconds faster then GT3(00). If anything, DTM is faster currently, even though having a lot less max hp. V8 just have a way better power line then Turbos (still), and the new DTM tyres are killer...as soft as it goes, without killing themselves in under 40min. Probably somewhere in between supersoft and ultrasoft F1 tyres.
I hope they keep the V8s, best sounding engines in to date motorsport (yes, heard them life as well)
Hard to compare because there is also tire war in GT300, tire war always make things go faster. Reason why there is no way DTM is faster than SGT now, just nope, if they were the joint race would have happened.

Hard to compare because there is also tire war in GT300, tire war always make things go faster. Reason why there is no way DTM is faster than SGT now, just nope, if they were the joint race would have happened.
DTM tyres are made to last 40min max, with the highest possible performance window around 15min. Super GT tyres are made to last much longer, due to the longetivity of their races, the compounds have to be harder, no tyre war can overcome this.
DTM became 3sec faster from last season to this one.

Oh yeah, Honda is doing very bad in Indycars...it is terrible. They WON the Indy500...but they suck because Alonso´s engine broke.

Grid for tomorrow´s race at the Texas Motorspeedway:

1 83 Charlie KIMBALL EUA Ganassi Honda 46.586
2 9 Scott DIXON NZL Ganassi Honda 46.594 +0.008
3 98 Alexander ROSSI EUA Andretti Honda 46.610 +0.024
4 10 Tony KANAAN BRA Ganassi Honda 46.701 +0.115
5 18 Tristan VAUTIER FRA Dale Coyne Honda 46.745 +0.159
6 8 Max CHILTON ING Ganassi Honda 46.776 +0.190
7 7 Mikhail ALESHIN RUS Schmidt Peterson Honda 46.811 +0.225
8 26 Takuma SATO JAP Andretti Honda 46.817 +0.231
9 12 Will POWER AUS Penske Chevrolet 46.855 +0.269
10 3 Helio CASTRONEVES BRA Penske Chevrolet 46.872 +0.286

That is a **** performance, isnt? Absolutely...

Oh, btw....reigning champion in Moto GP. Marc Marquez for HONDA.

But Alonso´s car broke today, is pure ****....(hidraulics problem).

I support 100% Alonso leave Mclaren, if he have a better deal, with Mercedes or Ferrari, for instance. He is protecting his career. That is a fact.
Now to me will be, and Im saying this again, a huge mistake by Mclaren leave Honda to pay for Mercedes or Renault client engines.
Oh boy....you are missing the point. I will not list all F1 Mc Laren Honda failures:cautious: Step over your Honda fanboy-ism. In the F1 Honda is a dissaster. The engine fails to run a full race. Alonso goes Indy and races a....Honda....right. For whatever reason the engine stopped...it stopped...and its Honda again. Guy Martin Honda bike failed on him and he is lucky to be alive. Its not only "your Indy Honda":rolleyes:

The McLaren solution:

1) Fire Honda, buy engines from competitive supplier

2) if budget allows, develop own F1 engine (if necessary with technology partnership)

If 1) or 2) are not achievable:

3) QUIT F1, selling all assets to a back marker team, maybe even continue to offer services as a chassis developer if financially profitable

4) instead of F1, focus on current GT3 customer program efforts, develop a new, cutting edge GTE car based on their newest road car model, entering the WEC in 2018 with a GTE works effort … and …

5) enter a LMP1 Hybrid program for 2019, based on their newest flagship hybrid models engine technology to fight it out with Porsche and Toyota

That LMP1 program should cost less than their currently unsuccessful F1 efforts but be MUCH closer to their road car portfolio in terms of marketing.

Once the time has come that F1 is up with a major regulation change, McLaren could reenter F1 in due time.

I feel very sad to see such a situation.
To read some news or comments, so many motorsports fans hate and laugh at Honda.
And to see engine swaped image from official twitter and Eric's interviews, Mclaren probably hate honda.

Some say a relationship between mclaren and honda will end within this 2 race.
If it is true, honda should quit F1 ASAP.
I know there is a contract with Sauber, but I can't bear to see Honda is made a fool of or blamed any more.

Oh boy....you are missing the point. I will not list all F1 Mc Laren Honda failures:cautious: Step over your Honda fanboy-ism. In the F1 Honda is a dissaster. The engine fails to run a full race. Alonso goes Indy and races a....Honda....right. For whatever reason the engine stopped...it stopped...and its Honda again. Guy Martin Honda bike failed on him and he is lucky to be alive. Its not only "your Indy Honda":rolleyes:

Sorry buddy, I was not answering for you, but for anyone who says that Honda is doing badly in Indy Cars, in Moto GP...and this is simple not true at all.
Im not a Honda fanboy, the F1 project so far is a disaster, but to me is way better than pay for engines that will allow a team to be at best the 4th best overall. Far better.

And all of those discussions and cries happens for one reason: The engine is breaking in Alonso´s car, the fauvorite of the real fanboys! :D:D

Only thing mclaren can really do is to send a small group of commando ninjas to mercedes headquarters and steal couple of engines (just make sure to get the ones that have LH initials, not the ones with VB). Then just put honda stickers on it and start winning.

In reality I don't see anything that mclaren can do. It is all about IF honda can ever build a competitive f1 engine. Mclaren can just wait and hope. There are simply no options for mclaren. They can't switch to different engines. Mercedes don't want them, ferrari don't want them and renault don't want them. I doubt any of the teams would even sell older engines to mclaren. Not that mclaren would even accept that. It is either honda or quit altogether.

For 2020 if new engine rules come then mclaren could try to switch to audi power. Or try to get renault or mercedes engines if either one sells their f1 team and goes back to being just engine manufacturer. But as long as both of those brands have their own team in f1 then their interests come first.

Honda was a mistake for mclaren but it was good try nevertheless. Mclaren can not beat the mercedes factory team with the same (read: worse than factory team) engine so trying to go with honda was a good attempt. It turns out it was a catastrophic failure and has put the mclaren team into really bad place. It is hurting their reputation and surely it is having some kind of effect on their road car sales and image as well.

It's too late to do anything now, since the deadline for powerplant submission for 2018 has passed.
Quite frankly, I'm a bit surprise they've stayed this long.
Sure Honda won at Indy...but look at the sheer number of entries in the field.
If you throw enough stuff, something has to stick.
Not sure with all their technology, why McLaren hasn't invested in an engine building program.
It'd also benefit their road car division, since they're high-end cars with very steep price tags.
Maybe the lack of direct communication within the Honda R&D departments is contributing to these failures.

DTM tyres are made to last 40min max, with the highest possible performance window around 15min. Super GT tyres are made to last much longer, due to the longetivity of their races, the compounds have to be harder, no tyre war can overcome this.
DTM became 3sec faster from last season to this one.
Michelin tire is made to last a lot longer and it is 3 seconds faster than the Continental tire in IMSA. And AFAIK there was one secret Michelin tire that was even faster, could allow a P2 (previous gen) to take T1 flat out at Sebring, some engineers talked about it to each other in Twitter long time ago, I remember this well

Last edited:
Oh, btw....reigning champion in Moto GP. Marc Marquez for HONDA.

Well, the RC213V has been a complete mess since 2015. The 2016 championship was more Marc and Santi Hernández's achievement. than Honda's one. Also, Yamaha's problems with the new Michelin tyres (more specifically, the front tyres) helped a lot. Honda completely re-designed the engine twice in the last two seasons (counter-rotating crankshaft for 2016 and Big Bang firing order for 2017), and they still can't find the way to have a smooth power delivery. I don't have anything against Honda, they're the most successful manufacturer in the history of the MotoGP/500cc championship, but you can't deny it has been going through a rough patch for the last couple of seasons.

Last edited:
Sorry buddy, I was not answering for you, but for anyone who says that Honda is doing badly in Indy Cars, in Moto GP...and this is simple not true at all.
Im not a Honda fanboy, the F1 project so far is a disaster, but to me is way better than pay for engines that will allow a team to be at best the 4th best overall. Far better.

And all of those discussions and cries happens for one reason: The engine is breaking in Alonso´s car, the fauvorite of the real fanboys! :D:D
+1

Honda's F1 project is idd a disaster. But they still do perform well in other racing categories. I am a Honda fanboy but these are just facts.
I do understand Alonso's reaction completely though.

Honda is being blamed here for the Isle of menfailure/crash. This shouldn't have happened but deliberately playing with lives... :roflmao:
Maybe Volkswagen and their Dieselgate scandal is a MUCH better example of playing with lives...

Honda is crap, nothing will change that.

Honda are so abysmal in F1 that I actually feel sorry for Alonso, a driver I've never supported or liked since he entered F1. It's probably done Alonsos popularity a world of good actually, as people like him now, rather than just respect his driving abilities.

I'm looking forward to Hondas full F1 comical return. Throw an insane amount of money at it, achieve nothing, have to found a second team to stop the Japanese fans from being upset that you've sacked a star driver, and then sell the team to someone else who'll immediately win the title. Can't wait!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back