McLaren Branded HTC Vive VR Headset and rF2 Game Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
McLaren have released an officially licenced and branded version of the HTC Vive Pro VR headset recently, complete with a McLaren specific version of rFactor 2.

With McLaren seemingly ever keen to further engage with the world of sim racing and "eSport" competition, perhaps an officially licenced and branded product like the Vive Pro McLaren Edition was always on the cards in the near future.

Rather than simply slapping McLaren logos on existing hardware, the former World Championship winning team have built a relationship with the VR headset manufacturer that expands further than just hardware alone, with the HTC Vive Pro McLaren edition also coming complete with a tailor made McLaren version of rFactor 2, and an innovative ‘McLaren Garage VR’ experience – a Vive Studio release in cooperation with McLaren that aims to put viewers into a "multi-player simulation game where players can be part of the McLaren pit-crew, learning how to complete tyre adjustments just like crews do in a race. The experience includes the ‘Pit-stop Challenge’, a multiplayer competitive game that allows users to explore McLaren’s latest pit garage in room scale, learn to change a car tyre, and take other players on a timed tyre change challenge. These special edition experiences are available exclusively on VIVEPORT, where current Vive owners can create a subscription today to access these titles for free".

Of the new product release, McLaren Chief Executive Office, Zak Brown had the following to say:

“It’s been brilliant to tap into HTC’s technology and work together closely to create this top-of-the-range headset and VR experience, so fans can feel like they are in the heart of the action, at a racetrack with the McLaren Racing team. We think this limited edition Vive Pro headset is hugely exciting for both racing and VR fans alike.”
Sadly for those of us keen to get involved with the new project, the McLaren Limited Edition version of the HTC Vive Pro doesn't come cheap, with current deals on the official Vive store quoting an eye watering price tag of £1,450.00.... so don't expect it in the Christmas stocking this December 25th..!

McLaren HTC Vive Pro VR limited Edition.jpg

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

HTC Vive Pro bundle $899 cdn
Rfactor 2 $15 on steam
=$914 cdn

HTC Vive Pro Mcleran edition just shy of $2000 cdn
https://www.vive.com/eu/mclaren/

What do I get for that extra $1100?
Some fancy orange bezels, 6 months viveport subscription and a modded rf2 that allows me to wave around 2oz wands pretending that I am putting 50+lbs wheels on a race car.

Sounds like a hell of a deal lol !!!

Can I atleast get a signed hat from Alonso included to help justify this price?

Edit: I didn't realize the pro doesn't come with the 2 base stations.
This package would have been more appealing if it was priced around the Pro package...say $1000ish

It's targeted towards F1 fans and racing fans in general....which will be sitting to play, do you really need 2 base stations for better room scaling while racing?

I really can't see them selling a ton of these, especially when the majority of the competition is selling for under $500 for first gen headsets.

Picked a brand new Lenevo Explorer yesterday for $100 lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How ? he is comparing Pro with " Full Kit"

I say same thing okay : Pro here with no controllers or stations is 1,279AU

What do I get for $1200 more ? ( $2499)

2018 controllers 310AU each = 620AU
2 base station 199AU each = 398AU
Limited Edition
rF2 software
extra subscription

seems 1200 worth to me

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They initially went for the Oculus Rift but performance was terrible so after 4 years of investment they switched to the well established Vive Pro.

Since the switch, performance has gone from bad to worse. Although Fernando Alonso has been able to maintain a pretty impressive 90fps most of the time, Stoffel Vandoorne has struggled to drag 45fps out of it.

Meanwhile the word on the grapevine is Red Bull are getting excellent performance from the Rift, with a view to a release early next year.

Upvote 0
Lol it's nowhere near superior. Tracking is everything my friend.

The price of the McLaren kit is quite high but it is a limited edition for collectors rather than a mass market product.

For sim racing the Odyssey is ideal as the headset tracking is perfect but certainly when going room-scale with other games the Vive is better. I’ve had mine about 6 months now and the controllers are still in their packaging as it is dedicated for the sim rig.

Upvote 0
They initially went for the Oculus Rift but performance was terrible so after 4 years of investment they switched to the well established Vive Pro.

Since the switch, performance has gone from bad to worse. Although Fernando Alonso has been able to maintain a pretty impressive 90fps most of the time, Stoffel Vandoorne has struggled to drag 45fps out of it.

Meanwhile the word on the grapevine is Red Bull are getting excellent performance from the Rift, with a view to a release early next year.

That made me chuckle. Brilliant! :D

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 137 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 190 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 375 28.2%