PC2 McLaren 720S to Debut in Project CARS 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2 McLaren 720S 2.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios have revealed the new McLaren 720S will be making it's video game debut in Project CARS 2 this year.

The brand new 720 S, revealed today at the Geneva Motor Show, will be appearing in a racing simulation for the very first time come release of Project CARS 2 in September, and it looks like the newest addition to the McLaren road car family is one of the most technologically impressive vehicles from the British manufacturer to date.

The car is scheduled to mark the next generation of supercar design from McLaren as production switches from the current 650S model, so well known from a series of GT3 specification championships around the world. The new car has been described as "revolutionary" by McLaren and features a brand new active carbon-fiber chassis structure known as the ‘Monocage II’. The car weighs in at just 1,283kgs (2,825.5lbs) which is a reduction of nearly 20kgs from its predecessor the 650S.

Suspected of being able to produce up to 30% more downforce than the 650S, the new McLaren should offer up a more stable and planted driving experience than anything McLaren have produced to date, added up to an all-new twin-turbo 4-litre V8 that produces 720hp (212mph max), making the new McLaren a potentially very potent weapon out on track.

Produced by Project CARS as part of a lengthy collaboration between SMS and the McLaren Group, the new 720S could well turn out to be one of the surprise highlights from the new Project CARS 2 title.

Project CARS 2 is due for release on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Windows PC late 2017.

Project CARS 2 McLaren 720S 3.jpg
Project CARS 2 McLaren 720S.jpg

Check out the Project CARS forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussions regarding Project CARS on both PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Browse out modding database, engage with the community or join in one of our many League and Club Racing events. Its all here at RaceDepartment. For Project CARS 2 specific information have a look at our Project CARS 2 sub forum.

Looking forward to trying the 720S in Project CARS 2? Looking forward to the game in general? Have any questions you want us to ask in our upcoming interview with Ian Bell? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
oh and just for fun here is a video of someone who can't really drive, using a controller, playing PCARS 2 with high graphics settings.

Seriously, why can't someone who knows how to drive and uses a wheel post a video?
I am really looking forward to PCars 2, and will most likely enjoy it very much, but this video is outright horrendous. If i didn't know any better, i'd get seriously put off the game.

I am really looking forward to PCars 2, and will most likely enjoy it very much, but this video is outright horrendous. If i didn't know any better, i'd get seriously put off the game.

Yeah it's dreadful isn't it ! :) I'd love to see someone actually release a decent video with both a wheel and some actual skill. Seems strange that they would keep pushing out this :poop: videos all the time (although to be fair this is a Nvidia one so outside SMS control)..

the mclaren video had a great flyby sound, incase it's really ingame sound.

graphics-wise again a mixed bag watching the gamepad-driver lol... in sunset and probably rain pcars looks pretty decent, but in daylight it looks medicore at best. but i guess that's probably related to the reason the new physics-systems eats so much CPU and probalby also GPU :rolleyes::D

• Deleted member 113561

Yes you can. You can see how the cars react to kerbs, you can see how the cars break traction and so forth. For example in that 2nd video the car simply ignores the kerbs while being hard on power which is not a good sign.
If you would know how the car was setup - could be the setup is exactly made for this

Can you see the setup in videos normally?

You can't see physics in videos.
Amen

If you would know how the car was setup - could be the setup is exactly made for this

Can you see the setup in videos normally?

Amen
It is actually pretty easy to see setup in videos. Soft car = lots of body movement. Stiff car = less roll, more bouncy. Same with dampers. Too soft and car moves a lot. Too stiff and and the car is more easily affected by bumps and kerbs. Too much rear wing = high speed understeer. Too little power side diff locking = inside tire spins on corner exit when you get on power. Inadequate suspension simulation = bumps have very little effect on car balance, see gran turismo. And so forth. Hallelujah. Praise the slip angle!

Yes you can. You can see how the cars react to kerbs, you can see how the cars break traction and so forth. For example in that 2nd video the car simply ignores the kerbs while being hard on power which is not a good sign.

In the pCARS franchise, what you see in replays (physics data captured from the player HD vehicle using the Seta Tyre Model and the AI vehicles using a Brush Tyre Model at some specific compromise setting between HDD space requirements and verisimilitude) and what you experience live in the cockpit is not necessarily the same 'resolution'.

The implication is that real-time live physics are more highly detailed than what the replays would lead you to suggest. As I recall, we complained loudly about the cars looking wooden in replays in pCARS 1 and one of the render guys took a look and decided that he might be able to add one extra bit of floating point precision to the car position/attitude vectors (i.e. the vectors which are continually being computed live by the physics engine for every car and sent to the render bridge for display) which are captured in a compressed form in the replay data structure.

AIUI, this is specifically a console storage requirement constraint, as if you want to keep a complete replay file for a several hours long race, storing the position/attitude vectors and the attendant metadata apparently becomes a problem on both console platforms.

As regards the player vehicle having higher resolution physics than the AI vehicles, this is simply because the computing power required for the STM apparently dwarfs the computing power required for using BTM for the AI. On my system (an OCed i7 3770k) you would only be able to render two cars using the STM before risking the physics engine to drop below 600 Hz tick rate under peak loads (collisions, lots of particles or high poly road surfaces such as 3D kerbs for instance).

It is worth noting that the AI has received a physics engine upgrade in pC2 compared to pC1. Work on the AI logic is also very much a focus ATM. IIRC, the "sticky" collision issue has also been virtually eliminated, but there's no telling whether it will return in time for release -- such are the vagaries of software development, alas.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 107 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 199 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 381 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing