MAZDA RX-7 Gr2 & GTU by Brickyard Legends Team

Cars MAZDA RX-7 Gr2 & GTU by Brickyard Legends Team V1.4

Login or Register an account to download this content
I'm getting closer, I actually got the car to visually showup now. Still crashes though I get this message in the trace:
vehgfx.cpp 2587: Entered VehGraphics::Init(GAMEDATA\TEAMS\SCCA 1960'S-EARLY 70'S\SCCA C PROD\MAZDA RX7\07US\..\MAZDA_RX7.CAS)
vehgfx.cpp 2631: Unable to read USERDATA\LOG\vehgen.scn: Error loading global material WINDOW_DIRT
vehgfx.cpp 2684: Could not find instance "SLOT000"
Where the heck is window dirt ?

I got the trace to work,its long though.
That is about average size, mine usually 75k-80k, but the last few lines are all you ever need to check. In your case:

-"CUBE error loading scene file USERDATA\tmpvehicle.scn: Error opening MAS file MAZDA_RX7_OBJ.GTL"
-"Pit-crew mesh error: Error loading mesh file MAZDA_RX7_WHEEL_LF_STYLE8_B.GMT to memory"
-"Entered VehGraphics::Init(GAMEDATA\TEAMS\SCCA 1960'S-EARLY 70'S\SCCA C PROD\MAZDA RX7\07US\..\MAZDA_RX7.CAS)"

CUBE error relates to 3d model and notes game is still looking for .gtl file (MAZDA_RX7_OBJ.GTL).
Next line tells us it is looking for a wheel (MAZDA_RX7_WHEEL_LF_STYLE8_B.GMT; gmt is 3D format).
Last line tells us reference is in MAZDA_RX7.CAS.

Double check both .cas files, there are two in this mod, that you edited the references from .gtl to .gtr as shown in post 16.

I'm getting closer, I actually got the car to visually showup now. Still crashes though I get this message in the trace:
vehgfx.cpp 2587: Entered VehGraphics::Init(GAMEDATA\TEAMS\SCCA 1960'S-EARLY 70'S\SCCA C PROD\MAZDA RX7\07US\..\MAZDA_RX7.CAS)
vehgfx.cpp 2631: Unable to read USERDATA\LOG\vehgen.scn: Error loading global material WINDOW_DIRT
vehgfx.cpp 2684: Could not find instance "SLOT000"
Where the heck is window dirt ?
The first two lines denote "global material WINDOW_DIRT" (a texture file, DDS format, contained in stex.gtl) being called from MAZDA_RX7.CAS. This also points to the reference to stex.gtl being incorrect in that .cas file; or, if references are correct, that gtl file is corrupt. (stex, .gtl and .gtr, contain "global materials", textures used by all cars - dirt build-up on windshield, LCD screens, etc.; but the contents and filenames are different for the two sims, hence the need for the gtl file in gtr2)

The "SLOT000" refers to the placement of the car on the track and is just a game glitch, restarting clears it.

IT WORKS !
It was these file that had to be in there:
MASFILE=GTL_STEX.GTR
MASFILE=GTL_TALENT.GTR
I saw this over here
about the 7th thread down
I didn't know the cas file had to be this way.
Now I just need to get the sound right, I don't hear any pops or backfires when I let off the throttle.
jgf I can't thank you enough, plus I learned so much, I might even attempt this again.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.”

Glad you have it worked out (notice the .cas edits were mentioned in posts 12 and 16, lol).

The conversion process is quite simple, probably why it is so easy to overlook something. Your missing sounds are probably default GTL sounds; check the .aud file for what wav files are used and either copy them from GTL or assign default GTR2 sounds.

Other common issues are missing wheels, which will cause a crash (the mod uses wheels from a default car); again, the trace file is your friend, look for what wheel is sought and copy that from GTL to your mod folder; and no sound at all, the mod uses the complete sound set from a default GTL car, look in the .aud file to see which one.

FWIW, "talent.gtr" and "talent.gtl" are helmet graphics.

You can delete all the icon.tga files and the .bik file in the car folders, these are not used in GTR2. You can also give the mod its own series menu entry by making a .gdb file for it; here is the one I made, remove the ".txt" and drop the file in the Gamedata folder, add RX7 to the class line of each car (I made no image or text files, but you can see how other SIM entries do that if interested)

Attachments

• SIM_RX7.gdb.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 65
I'm running it in an SCCA mod along with the Datsun 240z, BMW 2002, Datsun 510, TR4 and a few others. Really close racing.
Have to say the Brickyard legends Team did a great job with the handling of the car. The rear end breaks away just about right, and it turns in very well.
Got all the sounds working now.
I suppose all the good GTL cars have been reworked by now into GTR2, I suppose everyone does them themselves,
I must have looked at those cas files at least 20 times, in the end though I'm glad I looked at that thread over at Evolution Modding, it definitely sealed the deal.

Many mods have been converted for personal use, uploads of the conversions are problematic without permission from the original creators, which is usually granted IF you can find the original creators. But, "anything is easy once you know how", lol; so have fun.

There are many more mods that work well for '60s-'70s SCCA races; from TR3s and MGAs to Spitfires, MGBs, Lancia Fulvia, Fiat X1-9, Mazda L10, Zil 112, Volvo P1800, ISO Grifo 3, Opel Commodore, Opel GT, Renault Gordini, etc.
(My first sanctioned race was an SCCA Jr event in summer '70, sponsored by my high school English teacher and driving one of his Mini Coopers.)

Funny you mentioned the TR3. I'll have to look at that one too,part of that SCCA mod. I told the modder, but I wonder If I might take a stab at it as well.
TR3 was my Uncle's first car he bought, and the first convertible I ever rode in, so it does hold a bit of sentimental value.
The real Mini's are amazing, that must have been real fun. When I finally got in one I was amazed at all the space in the front, especially considering how small they look on the outside..
BTW what did you think of the Road Atlanta GTR2 conversion?
I tried it, but am so used to the newer one with the Chicane, it didn't even seem like the same track.

Last edited:
There are two TR3 mods, from different people, they are just different enough I've put both in P&G.

I am not one to ask about chicanes, lol; if they are designed into a track from the start, fine, but being tacked on twenty years later by an entirely different group invariably ruins the flow of the track. Monza is a travesty (what's the matter, F1? your drivers can no longer handle a high speed track?), Silverstone looks like a scaled up kart track, Suzuka has that fiddly walking speed Casio Chicane ...in the middle of a turn.

I did many laps at Road Atlanta in RL, everything from a Spitfire to a 917, and that track is fun. But I have only run the new version in sims; the "Nascar chicane" ruined the backstretch, once a high speed run to a heavy braking zone at the top of the "gravity well", it now resembles a street circuit, with a couple of jarring right angle turns before the hill, and the hill smoothed to a slight slope; then the "ALMS chicane" at the top of the hill past T1 ruined the entrance to the esses, no longer a full bore run up the hill, light on the brakes, a quick right-left flick and accelerate into the esses, you now stand on the brakes at the top for a sharp, blind, right angle turn and crawl into the esses. You are correct - completely different track. Which is "better"? personal preference.

But I am against constantly "butchering" tracks; there is no comparison of performance on Monza or Silverstone or Road Atlanta between today's cars and those of fifty years ago because the tracks are not the same. I look at F1 with its obsession with chicanes, or NASCARE with its idiotic restrictor plates, and think. if your cars are getting too fast for the tracks you want to use ...slow the cars not the tracks.

A real Porsche 917 ! Talk about green with envy, one of my favorite sounding cars, along with Lemans, one of my favorite racing movies with a 917!
Closest thing I drove to a Formula 1 car was an Fvee, and it doesn't even have a seat !
You have to be a GPL guy, and I mean Have to be!
Couldn't agree more about chicanes, almost as bad as the one at Limerock, I can't stand that thing.
Had a trip to Italy a few years ago, and even though it was out of the way, I got to visit Monza, what an amazing place. I stood on the banking where so many great drivers had driven. I have to say I didn't want to leave.
Whats my favorite track of all time? The old Spa. That redone GPL one is a masterpiece. If I ever get down for any reason, a few laps around there does it, even If it is only a sim.Monza though is a very close second.
Riverside and Bridgehampton are cool too. Two favorite tracks in the US are Watkins Glen and Road America.
That Ozarks Raceway is pretty cool too, I just discovered it a few days ago, talk about a rollercoaster!
I think I may be slightly off topic now, always been a huge race person, although I wish I did it a lot more when I was younger like you did.

Last edited:
You might consider me a "GPL guy". I was part of the beta team back in '98, when Kaemmer, Cassidy, Sentell made frequent appearances on CompuServe forums, along with Alison Hine and Steve Smith. So many features were planned for GPL but never implemented due to Sierra deciding on a pre-Christmas release; variable weather, a career mode where you would start in F3 and work your way through F2 to F1, etc. 24 years later I'm still enjoying it.
gpl_disc.jpg

Monza was "out of the way"? Noooo. Visiting Italy without seeing Monza would be heresy.

"Spa67" has long been one of my favorites, I look for a conversion with every new sim I get. But the remake is a classic, I hope they allow someone to convert it to GTR2.

If you're not already familiar with it, and don't mind a fictional track, I highly recommend Machwerk; created nearly twenty years ago for GPL, based on rural German roads where the author lives, it has been converted to nearly every sim since then. A couple of laps in any car at all will show why it is so popular.

OK this is a new one. I actually got the TR3 working...sort of.
I kept getting this line
vehgfx.cpp 2587: Entered VehGraphics::Init(GAMEDATA\TEAMS\SCCA 1960'S-EARLY 70'S\SCCA G PROD\TRIUMPH TR3\116\..\TRIUMPH_TR3_LHD.CAS)
vehgfx.cpp 2631: Unable to read USERDATA\LOG\vehgen.scn: Error loading mesh file DRIVER_HELMET_STYLE00.GMT to memory
I don't know where the helmet style is pulled from.
Originally the cas file had this
<LOW> MeshFile=Driver_Helmet_Style<1>.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False LODIn=(0.0) LODOut=(40.0) ShadowReceiver=True
in low med high and max
I changed the <1> to a <45> and all the cars worked except car #116, but If I knew what number should be in there I would put that.
BTW some old cars are using closed face helmets which is wrong, but one problem at a time !
Any ideas on this?
I remember getting GPL and trying to drive it, thinking it can't be this hard to drive an F1 car. I drove in the Mybroga league for awhile, that was a blast, and I only won one race, but it was at Spa and in the Ferrari no less, love that car and the sound.

"TRIUMPH_TR3_LHD.CAS" is the left hand drive model, thus calls files from the LHD gtr file.

Moveable=True
<LOW> MeshFile=Driver_Helmet_Style<1>.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False LODIn=(0.0) LODOut=(200.0) ShadowReceiver=True
<MED> MeshFile=Driver_Helmet_Style<1>.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False LODIn=(0.0) LODOut=(200.0) ShadowReceiver=True
<HIGH> MeshFile=Driver_Helmet_Style<1>.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False LODIn=(0.0) LODOut=(400.0) ShadowReceiver=True
<MAX> MeshFile=Driver_Helmet_Style<1>.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False LODIn=(0.0) LODOut=(400.0) ShadowReceiver=True

"Moveable=True" - animated file
"LOW, MED, HIGH, MAX" - define what you see at different detail levels (as set in game menu), the selected level will display everything in it and all lower levels
"CollTarget=False" - is not a collision item
"HATTarget=False" - not sure, but believe it has to do with interacting with items in a track's .hat file
"LODIn=(0.0) LODOut=(200.0)" - distance (meters? feet? some proprietary scale?) at which item becomes visible (In) and disappears (Out); in this example the item - helmet - is always visible within "200"
"ShadowReceiver=True" - whether shadows display on the item

"MeshFile=Driver_Helmet_Style<1>.gmt" - these settings apply to this particular 3D model

Helmets are being called from helmets.gtl, so you will need to copy that over also.

Helmet graphics for this mod are in the individual cars' gtr files.

I believe (still fiddling with this ...cursing is more like it) that you can replace helmets; find a car, any mod, that has the helmet you want, if the main filename (such as Driver_Helmet_Style<1>.gmt) is the same as the helmet in the car you want to replace, then note the number of the "donor" and change the "recipient" to that; if that helmet is in a gtr in another mod folder, you may have to copy that to your mod. This doesn't always work, then the game crashes and the trace merely says it can't find the original file. Also had no luck trying a completely different helmet (replace "this_helmet.gmt" with "that_helmet.gmt"), always crashes, always looking for original name. So I suspect in some cases the data is also referenced elsewhere in the mod.

Last edited:
This so much reminds me of working on a house, especially an old one like I have. You go in and fix the plumbing, only to find out the electrical circuits are old and need to be replaced as well, or worst still, you need to replace all the horsehair plaster with sheetrock.
I finally went thru all the TR3'sand the ones that crashed(about 4) I just took out. I was going to get GTL and download and then try and find the ones I needed, but in the end, I still have about 15 different TR3's that are different and thats enough. I don't like taking shortcuts, but sometimes I have to just say its OK as is.
I wish I had known about the GTL files when I put the mod in, but at least now I know. I found out over at Evolution modding.
You know I love the modding guys especially all the work they put in. I even appreciate it even more after I spend 6-7 hours just trying to get a tiny part of it working right.
Slightly out of contex I have to say Fat Alfie's tracks in Assetto Corsa are the best I have ever seen, his attention to detail is unsurpassed, and with all the great modders out there, thats saying something.

Wow ,was checking out a thread from the No Grip Racing archive about GTR2 sound editing by Ducfreak and jgf you were in there as well.
An Electronics Engineer that specializes in sound and Audio. No wonder you know so much about audio files !
When sounds are done though, are they actually taken from the vehicle there used on, or are they just "other" sounds from different cars made to sound like the vehicle itself ?

Lol, like a bad penny I turn up anywhere.

In the case of sounds for sims, it is always "the end justifies the means". If you (individual or the development team) can get onboard recordings of the specific car ...wonderful. But not as easy as it sounds, Murphy's Law steps in at every opportunity; it's amazing how many extraneous sounds will appear, always right in the middle of an otherwise nice recording. And getting access to professional teams is virtually impossible so you haunt club events and vintage races for a similar engine. Race coverage with onboard footage is good if ... it is constant speed, there are no other cars around, and the announcer will shut up for five seconds.

The distinctive sound of any engine is primarily from combustion chamber design and porting; fortunately for many cars this doesn't change significantly over the years. Every Ferrari V6 sounds basically the same, differences are due to intake and exhaust systems; longer pipes have a lower tone and tend to "sputter" more, cast pipes have a dull sound, stainless steel sounds "brighter"; turbos slightly muffle all this and add the noted whine, etc. Same with Porsche, little basic design change over the years. In American cars both Ford and Chevy use similar size engines - Ford a 289, Chevy a 283; Ford a 351, Chevy a 350; both had 427s - but they sound entirely different due to cylinder ratio (bore vs stroke) and head design; Chevy is typically lower pitched, at high rpms the Chevy roars while the Ford screams. So look for a car that has the same basic engine as yours, note the differences and adjust the sound accordingly. And there are times you will never find a sound for a particular car, or the sound is not usable (usually too much doppler; I have a wonderful sound of a Novi at IMS, but the car comes blasting out of T4, roars past the microphone, and heads into T1, absolutely useless in a sim other than to let you know what it sounds like); in such cases you use whatever you can find that sounds remotely like the engine you want and spend hours tweaking it. I once had to make sounds for a 1.5L H-16 engine, I could find no recordings of this engine, only descriptions of its sound, which was unusual due to asymmetric firing order (instead of bam-bam-bam-bam-bam, it was bam-bam...bam-bam....bam-bam); there were two other engines I knew of with the same firing, one is a huge British aircraft engine of WWII (it's sound was so low and thunderous as to virtually blur into a drone, plus the sound of a gigantic propeller), the other is something everyone has heard and either loves or hates ... I fabricated the sound of a 1.5L H-16 from that of a Harley 1.2L V-Twin.

One mistake I often encounter with sound mods is they use a high idle sound (easily found for many cars on Utube) and create the power sounds from that. Creates a very anemic sounding engine; for example, go start your car, let it warm up, rev it to about 2-3 times idle speed and listen for a minute; now get out on the road and drive in first or second gear at that same rpm and notice the sound. Very different. When producing power the engine has a much different note than when just idling fast. In cases of low revving engines you may be able to get usable sound from a high idle with judicious use of EQ and expansion; but will never get a realistic sound set for a high revving engine.

Another major error, which cannot be corrected, is maxing the signal level to the point of clipping it. An analog signal can be clipped slightly with no appreciable effect (a minor loss of dynamic range); but the tiniest clipping of a digital signal causes generation of spurious harmonics which manifest as a raspy static sound across the entire signal, save that signal and it is ruined, you can never remove the damage from clipping. So if you have a clean sample, lower its level to about 3dB below max, save a copy, and never let the level go above that point til all editing is done. If you need to boost a band, instead reduce everything but that band, the effect is the same and you never risk clipping (unlike analog, digital sound does not have a noise floor so there's no worry about too low level). When all editing is done and you are satisfied with this file, save a backup, and increase the level so the highest peak is at least 1dB below max. When all the sounds are done for this engine you will notice the in game volume is low for your engine, just use the various level controls to balance everything again, then the system volume (or external amp volume) to "crank it up" to your liking. You will now have a good clean signal with good dynamic range; of course if you upload you must tell everyone how to balance the sounds (and still endure emails, "it sounds good but the volume is too low"). And when driving any other car its sound will come blasting through, so crank player engine down again (my sims are mostly tweaked to my preferences, and this is why you're not likely to find any of my files anywhere).

Remember the old ICR2? the default sound was from a two-stroke motorcycle owned by a Papyrus employee, recorded in the parking lot; they had arrangements to record an actual Indycar during testing but it was called off due to bad weather, and no time to reschedule.

Yea I remember Indy Car Racing 2, took me a bit to figure that one out. I think I had that actually until a short time ago. A Two stroke sounding like an indy car.. hmm.
Must have speeded that up a bit.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back