AC Mazda Mx-5 Cup @ Kyalami - Wednesday 3rd March

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Hi Lewis,

Cheers for the feedback - and I do agree it is the faster car that must find a way around.

I was in a race a few weeks ago and a faster driver came past me, I lifted and away they went. Then another came, I got no blue flag so I tried not to let him pass. He had to do it the hard way. Other faster drivers found me closing the door when they found themselves unannounced on my inside flank - that was because they had spun off at the start and now wanted to get back their rightful places which I have little pity for.

After the race I got a warning essentially from the admin, that it it was best to move over onto the grass for blue flags as was in the rules and to be careful generally since if another driver complains formally to staff and I am found culpable, I could be up for a 30 day race ban. People with more experience, skills and know how will carry more weight in any such debate.

So, with that in mind I am just extra careful, I am new here and I intend to race. If I have a train of fast cars behind me and they approach at the sorts of speeds they do - I think I shall just get on the grass and live to fight another day.

I just think it's a bit sad that you feel that way and I don't imagine any of the admins on here intend to make you feel like this. You should never feel like you need to wait at the side of the track for faster cars to get past. If anything that's more dangerous. Not to mention that you as a new driver will never learn to drive in traffic if you simply yield and pull off to the side. Madness in my opinion.

For me, if there's no blue flag then you absolutely do not have to move over. The admins can say what they want and people can complain but it's racing. You're racing for position and I can't imagine professional drivers letting a faster driver through. Now, I can fully understand letting people through because the pressure of having someone behind can lead to you driving more slowly yourself. But never feel that you HAVE to let people through, unless there's a blue flag.

You pay your fees, drive with respect and have every right to be a part of the fun. Don't let your race suffer for the faster guys. Learn to drive in traffic and let them through safely and quickly.

My 2p ;)

Last edited:
I just think it's a bit sad that you feel that way and I don't imagine any of the admins on here intend to make you feel like this. You should never feel like you need to wait at the side of the track for faster cars to get past. If anything that's more dangerous. Not to mention that you as a new driver will never learn to drive in traffic if you simply yield and pull off to the side. Madness in my opinion.

For me, if there's no blue flag then you absolutely do not have to move over. The admins can say what they want and people can complain but it's racing. You're racing for position and I can't imagine professional drivers letting a faster driver through. Now, I can fully understand letting people through because the pressure of having someone behind can lead to you driving more slowly yourself. But never feel that you HAVE to let people through, unless there's a blue flag.

You pay your fees, drive with respect and have every right to be a part of the fun. Don't let your race suffer for the faster guys. Learn to drive in traffic and let them through safely and quickly.

My 2p ;)
I totally agree. If you keep on the racing line in the turns and ease off the throttle on the next straight, you're doing it right. If you do that, I will for certain support you against complaints from faster guys.

If someone is clearly faster than me then it is pointless to defend too hard as it compromises both our races and they'll get by in the end.

Just my view.

I've found these podcasts very interesting....

This particular episode talks about blue flag behaviour.

It's called an iracing podcast but don't let that put you off! It has lots of generic sim racing chat.

My 2p ;)
Hi again Lewis,

I think its not about emotions like sadness here - but being effective and efficient as a racer. My information up until now has been that I should follow a certain procedure. I have done that - when you are new at something it takes time to learn the practical implementation and implications of a group culture. I am going through the motions of learning that.

I have come to know quite a few admins here and not one of them has not been forthcoming with both their time and appreciation of anything I have had to say. However there is also a practicality involved and I just don't want to make life difficult for them or myself due to inexperience.

It is very easy to make a mistake as Brian pointed out above and I nearly made made a bad one last night - so I don't want to risk it just yet. By contrast, had a really good race in Austria for example, had good control of the car and it was fun messing around closing in on people and stuff. I moved over for the quick men when I wanted to there and I couldn't care less. However I was not in the same situation yesterday and so I decided to err on the side of caution based upon the old warning - its more about self confidence,

I do know my rights and I am learning as we go along from discussions with everybody. I see it as part of an evolution of racing character. I shall certainly take on board what you have said given that Han (below) has kindly given clarity to the question and its answer.

Appreciated you taking the time to advise !

See you on track :)

I totally agree. If you keep on the racing line in the turns and ease off the throttle on the next straight, you're doing it right. If you do that, I will for certain support you against complaints from faster guys.
I'll be doing that from now on then Han. Thanks for making this clear mate. Appreciate it.

If someone is clearly faster than me then it is pointless to defend too hard as it compromises both our races and they'll get by in the end.

Just my view.

I've found these podcasts very interesting....

This particular episode talks about blue flag behaviour.

It's called an iracing podcast but don't let that put you off! It has lots of generic sim racing chat.
Thanks Colin! I'll check that out mate. I do agree with what you say.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%