AC Mazda Mx-5 Cup @ Kyalami - Wednesday 3rd March

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
I had a little sideways rub just after the start as I moved out to miss the car in front (maybe 60/40 my fault). Then I had a couple guys bump me from behind under braking (normal). Then I had a big accident (racing incident/not really my fault) where several cars came round a corner and each one seem to hit me twice. I felt like I was in a pinball machine. Luckily I don't drive in VR, but with triples I was dizzy as a Maypole dancer.

I agree with Brian though, the collisions stats seem to come from nowhere sometimes, esp the environmental ones. I wonder if the car bottoming out counts toward them?

Apologies again. Certainly one braking bump was my fault as we discussed last night and I definitely give a good hit when you and Ernie (I think) spun in front of me. I went for a gap but that gap closed :(

I think it's the nature of sim racing. Often at the start it's very hard to know who's up along side and how close they are. I noticed when I passed people I tended to give lots of room as I just don't know where exactly they are.

All good fun and part of the experience. We all make mistakes.

Cheers Brian - will comply mate, I don't really know who they were, I saw them on Helicorsa amidships and to the right, I had my line on the inside and I was going to keep it moving a little to the outside as I accelerated. I got punted and I am prepared to chalk it up to a racing incident of course. I thought I was the only one this happened to - but I saw a few others saying stuff so I thought I'd add my voice to support them in general because down at our level it feels very confusing sometimes, a million (fun) systems to get used to: eg I couldn't feel anything in the car when I took it out - then I turned off the traction and the abs and I could see what it was doing. The net prevents you from seeing people in the mirror so you need to tinker with the view a bit, then getting out of the pits safely and so on. I am going to try and see if I can turn on the tagging system so I can identify people to PM them if something happens in future. At my level I am trying to learn the skills needed and become competent before getting hoity-toity about it all. I just thought people should know what happened to me given that we are talking about it together. :)

Thanks a lot for replying, I really appreciate it.

You should always check the replay to see who it was and what happened. Ctrl + L should stick up the names. Or you can work it out from the starting positions... I've often thought i was hit by or hit a particular person during the race but turns out in the replay it was someone else. I've also thought mid race that some bastard turned into me, watched the replay and seen they didn't at all, so ye, check the replay first!

Last edited:
If I get blue flagged I essentially stop and wait for the more deserving drivers to pass me, so as not to impede them. At Monza in GT3 I accidentally hit another driver and waited until they too could rejoin. I apologised after. etc etc. Chris, Denis and everyone else have been crystal clear since day one about obeying RD's racing etiquette.

I really think you should try to focus on your driving instead of punishing yourself and potentially your own race. You're racing too and if you get blue flagged, it's the faster guy's job to get past safely, of course with a little help but not to the huge detriment of your own race.

I've found in recent weeks it's been really good for me to get blue flagged in the GT3 series to learn control under pressure when a car is behind. Take your time and understand you have every right to be on track, you're not just in their way. You really don't need to slow down much. A simple lift on the straight and you're done.

Mortified about punting you off @Denis Betty , I was paying too much attention on Cornelius, forgot about you. Tried to hit you back in a straight line, that did not go too well either. :unsure:
Amazing times from front runners, thanks to Han for the organisation,
Really enjoyed my race.

Is that when then come around the corner and smashed head on into @Denis Betty? Had no time to avoid lol

To all drivers tonight:
I would like to have your opinion on the following matters:
1 Do you want the racetime to stay 30min or do you want it longer (40min) or shorter (20 min)?
2. Should we schedule this MX5 event for every week but on Thursday (to make room on Wednesday for other events) would you still join?

You can answer as a reply in this thread. Thanks!

Couldn't always do Thursday either as I take part in the rf2 races sometimes too.
I think a slightly longer race might have been better myself

Last edited:
You should always check the replay to see who it was and what happened. Ctrl + L should stick up the names. Or you can work it out from the starting positions... I've often thought i was hit by or hit a particular person during the race but turns out in the replay it was someone else. I've also thought mid race that some bastard turned into me, watched the replay and seen they didn't at all, so ye, check the replay first!
Thanks Brian,
Yes I didn't check because it never downloads any replays (it says it does but when you play it there is nothing there). I will put up the ctrl-L things from now in races though (or something like it) so I can get an idea about who is around me and when.

same here mate, it doesn't download a replay - its probably my settings or something
I'm sure I have a replay because I have practice and qualifying. My mistake was pressing Drive - which I now know that allows you to redrive the race with the same configuration as the replay. Only problem is that it overrides the original replay.

Check your settings. These are what I have...
Screenshot 2021-03-04 162108.png

I really think you should try to focus on your driving instead of punishing yourself and potentially your own race. You're racing too and if you get blue flagged, it's the faster guy's job to get past safely, of course with a little help but not to the huge detriment of your own race.

I've found in recent weeks it's been really good for me to get blue flagged in the GT3 series to learn control under pressure when a car is behind. Take your time and understand you have every right to be on track, you're not just in their way. You really don't need to slow down much. A simple lift on the straight and you're done.
Hi Lewis,

Cheers for the feedback - and I do agree it is the faster car that must find a way around.

I was in a race a few weeks ago and a faster driver came past me, I lifted and away they went. Then another came, I got no blue flag so I tried not to let him pass. He had to do it the hard way. Other faster drivers found me closing the door when they found themselves unannounced on my inside flank - that was because they had spun off at the start and now wanted to get back their rightful places which I have little pity for.

After the race I got a warning essentially from the admin, that it it was best to move over onto the grass for blue flags as was in the rules and to be careful generally since if another driver complains formally to staff and I am found culpable, I could be up for a 30 day race ban. People with more experience, skills and know how will carry more weight in any such debate.

So, with that in mind I am just extra careful, I am new here and I intend to race. If I have a train of fast cars behind me and they approach at the sorts of speeds they do - I think I shall just get on the grass and live to fight another day.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years