AC Mazda Mx-5 Cup @ Kyalami - Wednesday 3rd March

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Thanks Han. Sorry if I broke any rule. As for me, I didn't and don't want to cause any problem, I think that now that we understand each other with @JamKart22 we can consider this event to have been sorted out. Should anything happen in the future, I will get in touch with him directly.
There is guidance on this in the Club Racing Rules. Always check the replay and wait 24 hours before you say anything. :thumbsup:

I had a little sideways rub just after the start as I moved out to miss the car in front (maybe 60/40 my fault). Then I had a couple guys bump me from behind under braking (normal). Then I had a big accident (racing incident/not really my fault) where several cars came round a corner and each one seem to hit me twice. I felt like I was in a pinball machine. Luckily I don't drive in VR, but with triples I was dizzy as a Maypole dancer.

I agree with Brian though, the collisions stats seem to come from nowhere sometimes, esp the environmental ones. I wonder if the car bottoming out counts toward them?

It includes environmental collisions ... Not sure if bottoming out is there but i would imagine cones and signs maybe..

Incidents107
Incidents per race3.5
Incidents per lap0.2
Env. collisions32
Cars collisions74
Off tracks1
Spins0

As a side note, I couldn't hear nor talk with anyone yesterday. I thought I had found the answer in this Rasmus post, but still I didn't manage to add RD as a trusted "app". Before the race I made sure I changed the nickname to my real name but even that didn't change anything.

Any clue? :O_o:

Could be your hardware input and output setting in discord?

discord-jpg.446396

@maxilogan see the pic for the buttons including voice options settings. Your voice channel avatar will light up green if your mic is working

Last edited:
Could be your hardware input and output setting in discord?

I had a look at it before the race and tested the audio system. Everything seems to be set correctly and I could hear my voice. The premium members voice sections, though, seem to be locked.

Attachments

• Image 11.png
    Image 11.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I had a look at it before the race and tested the audio system. Everything seems to be set correctly and I could hear my voice. The premium members voice sections, though, seem to be locked.

Ah ok, problem at the other end! if you go into the '#read this first' channel on RD discord the first link in that thread is to sync you accounts.

I had a little sideways rub just after the start as I moved out to miss the car in front (maybe 60/40 my fault). Then I had a couple guys bump me from behind under braking (normal). Then I had a big accident (racing incident/not really my fault) where several cars came round a corner and each one seem to hit me twice. I felt like I was in a pinball machine. Luckily I don't drive in VR, but with triples I was dizzy as a Maypole dancer.

I agree with Brian though, the collisions stats seem to come from nowhere sometimes, esp the environmental ones. I wonder if the car bottoming out counts toward them?

Thanks for the clarification. My driving is far from perfect but I like to think not reckless. I was a bit worried that this stat would count towards me being allowed to participate in future races (like the safety thing in iRacing).

I had cars all around me in the early turns, 3 wide with people trying to get past me on both sides. Nowhere to go so even trying to just keep it safe there were scrapes and scratches. All I try to do on first few turns is not hit anybody, I will give a few positions to come out clean. I think for the newer drivers like me finding that balance of being cautious into T1,2 etc.. but then the cars behind taking advantage and going in for the early pass is difficult to judge.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. My driving is far from perfect but I like to think not reckless. I was a bit worried that this stat would count towards me being allowed to participate in future races (like the safety thing in iRacing).

I had cars all around me in the early turns, 3 wide with people trying to get past me on both sides. Nowhere to go so even trying to just keep it safe there were scrapes and scratches. All I try to do on first few turns is not hit anybody, I will give a few positions to come out clean. I think for the newer drivers like me finding that balance of being cautious into T1,2 etc.. but then the cars behind taking advantage and going in for the early pass is difficult to judge.

You will usually find mr. early pass spends alot of time digging his car out of the sand. What you are doing is spot on. Some people do the mr. early well and stay in control but they a few and far between.

You will usually find mr. early pass spends alot of time digging his car out of the sand. What you are doing is spot on. Some people do the mr. early well and stay in control but they a few and far between.
It's sometimes better to start last and see how things go in front of you. Yesterday I started at the back (24th) and went very slow through the first turns to see how everything went with such a lot of cars. By just being patient and wait for the inevitable mistakes I was able to gain I think about 6 places in the first lap, mainly because I had a small gap in front of me before T3 so I could take the ideal race line, getting a good exit and come out of it with more speed than the cars right in front of me. I think I passed 4 cars on the following straight.
This reflects my experience in other races too.

All I try to do on first few turns is not hit anybody, I will give a few positions to come out clean. I think for the newer drivers like me finding that balance of being cautious into T1,2 etc.. but then the cars behind taking advantage and going in for the early pass is difficult to judge.
I think you're spot on. The guys toward the front are perhaps more likely to have the race craft to carry it off, but even then we have been asked to take it easy and not to try anything risky in the first few turns. A big accident early on lap 1 can ruin the race for half the field and if you're quicker, you'll find a safe way past in the the next few laps. It's a club race so nothing to gain except a chuffty badge, but hard racing is risking spoiling the fun for everybody around you IMHO.

But you'll always get some heroes, so best not to fight them too hard. If I get the jump on the guy in front, then I'll try to drive past before T1, but after that I pick a line and try to "drive in a lane" until cars are spaced out enough to allow me the racing line. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
It's sometimes better to start last and see how things go in front of you. Yesterday I started at the back (24th) and went very slow through the first turns to see how everything went with such a lot of cars. By just being patient and wait for the inevitable mistakes I was able to gain I think about 6 places in the first lap, mainly because I had a small gap in front of me before T3 so I could take the ideal race line, getting a good exit and come out of it with more speed than the cars right in front of me. I think I passed 4 cars on the following straight.
This reflects my experience in other races too.

I know what you mean - being somewhat limited in speed at the mo I have to make the best of it and would be content to use races as a learning experience. I loved the event and the MX5. I didn't want to say anything but since people are commenting upon their various experiences I thought I might add one myself:

I was incensed when practicing having to keep stopping or crash the car because people wanted to skip the session. If it says 1 hour 20 mins on the event board then that is for a good reason, you don't like it, PM the admins. I don't always get the time to practice new tracks as much as I like because I'm busy with work. I started at the back and made a few places up and was hoping to follow and learn quicker lines (certain curbs would throw the car and others would not). Using Helicorsa I gave room to those around me and as I moved to take my exit line an opportunist on the outside at the hairpin punted me off into the sand. End of race.

If I get blue flagged I essentially stop and wait for the more deserving drivers to pass me, so as not to impede them. At Monza in GT3 I accidentally hit another driver and waited until they too could rejoin. I apologised after. etc etc. Chris, Denis and everyone else have been crystal clear since day one about obeying RD's racing etiquette.

I don't want to make a big deal out of this and I am not asking for any apologies, just that I think everyone puts time into their racing and wishes to compete, and as a community we should respect that effort made by others, including the admins who stage good races.

If some people feel aggressively and feel the need to act inconsiderately they might stop to think that we are all racers and everyone of us feels the same, we want the next position. The difference is in how in control of that aggression we are... the next time round it might be you who gets punted and nobody waits around for you either. When I get in one of these cars - they are real as far as I am concerned, because the people racing them are.

Last edited:
I think you're spot on. The guys toward the front are perhaps more likely to have the race craft to carry it off, but even then we have been asked to take it easy and not to try anything risky in the first few turns. A big accident early on lap 1 can ruin the race for half the field and if you're quicker, you'll find a safe way past in the the next few laps. It's a club race so nothing to gain except a chuffty badge, but hard racing is risking spoiling the fun for everybody around you IMHO.

But you'll always get some heroes, so best not to fight them too hard. If I get the jump on the guy in front, then I'll try to drive past before T1, but after that I pick a line and try to "drive in a lane" until cars are spaced out enough to allow me the racing line. :thumbsup:
It will be sad for me if you are not on the grid because of Thursdays :( - enjoyed racing you again!

Last edited:
I know what you mean - being somewhat limited in speed at the mo I have to make the best of it and would be content to use races as a learning experience. I loved the event and the MX5. I didn't want to say anything but since people are commenting upon their various experiences I thought I might add one myself:

I was incensed when practicing having to keep stopping or crash the car because people wanted to skip the session. If it says 1 hour 20 mins on the event board then that is for a good reason, you don't like it, PM the admins. I don't always get the time to practice new tracks as much as I like because I'm busy with work. I started at the back and made a few places up and was hoping to follow and learn quicker lines (certain curbs would throw the car and others would not). Using Helicorsa I gave room to those around me and as I moved to take my exit line an opportunist on the outside at the hairpin punted me off into the sand. End of race.

If I get blue flagged I essentially stop and wait for the more deserving drivers to pass me, so as not to impede them. At Monza in GT3 I accidentally hit another driver and waited until they too could rejoin. I apologised after. etc etc. Chris, Denis and everyone else have been crystal clear since day one about obeying RD's racing etiquette.

I don't want to make a big deal out of this and I am not asking for any apologies, just that I think everyone puts time into their racing and wishes to compete, and as a community we should respect that effort made by others, including the admins who stage good races.

If some people feel aggressively and feel the need to act inconsiderately they might stop to think that we are all racers and everyone of us feels the same, we want the next position. The difference is in how in control of that aggression we are... the next time round it might be you who gets punted and nobody waits around for you either. When I get in one of these cars - they are real as far as I am concerned, because the people racing them are.

Sorry to hear you had a bad race jack. If the punter didn't wait send them a pm. If ever that doesn't go well, pm han,chris or myself if you aren't happy with the response. Let me know how it goes.

I noticed you drive off track when i passed you on the blue flag. There's is really no need to do that in these events. Roll along off the racing line if you feel a bit uncomfortable and try to tag onto the back of the train of cars. You're only damaging your tyres and making things worse for yourself.

The skip session moaners. Don't have your chat box in a distracting position. Ignore it when driving. All practice session will be that length for the foreseeable. I assume they were non forum lads who joined without even reading the event config in s.gp? I joined too late to see it. Anything like that should be like water under the bridge when your getting ready for a race.

Last edited:
I'd like to interject, but I had better not say too much as I was responsible for punting 5 people off in one go.:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

If it is not personal, then don't worry, if it is a mistake then don't worry, just learn from it. That applies to both sides of it, if they wait for you, it's a sorry, your race and their race has suffered. I have always assumed that was the point of the wait bit.

Do your best in a blue flag situation, I always try and judge the urgency of the situation, if there is a battle going, put yourself out, if he has a good gap, probably near the end of the race anyway. next straight pull over and slow, Chris usually gives a shout saying don't worry about me.

I get punted in nearly every race, in fact, I consider it a win if I don't.:roflmao::roflmao:

In virtually all situation it is just a mistake.

Sometimes I am over-cautious and get punted, I am not happy about that but I can see my own contribution to it all.:unsure:

I'd like to interject, but I had better not say too much as I was responsible for punting 5 people off in one go.:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

If it is not personal, then don't worry, if it is a mistake then don't worry, just learn from it. That applies to both sides of it, if they wait for you, it's a sorry, your race and their race has suffered. I have always assumed that was the point of the wait bit.

Do your best in a blue flag situation, I always try and judge the urgency of the situation, if there is a battle going, put yourself out, if he has a good gap, probably near the end of the race anyway. next straight pull over and slow, Chris usually gives a shout saying don't worry about me.

I get punted in nearly every race, in fact, I consider it a win if I don't.:roflmao::roflmao:

In virtually all situation it is just a mistake.

Sometimes I am over-cautious and get punted, I am not happy about that but I can see my own contribution to it all.:unsure:
:) I agree - it couldn't possibly personal, but it also has to be the same rules for everyone - or we risk chaos. Yeah if I touch someone I always apologise - last week I was apologising to Suicide Sid (inadvertently) !

Thanks for explaining and clarifying this stuff a bit more Ernie (and as always giving me the benefit of your experience).

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you had a bad race jack. If the punter didn't wait send them a pm. If ever that doesn't go well, pm han,chris or myself if you aren't happy with the response. Let me know how it goes.

I noticed you drive off track when i passed you on the blue flag. There's is really no need to do that in these events. Roll along off the racing line if you feel a bit uncomfortable and try to tag onto the back of the train of cars. You're only damaging your tyres and making things worse for yourself.

The skip session moaners. Don't have your chat box in a distracting position. Ignore it when driving. All practice session will be that length for the foreseeable. I assume they were non forum lads who joined without even reading the event config in s.gp? I joined too late to see it. Anything like that should be like water under the bridge when your getting ready for a race.
Cheers Brian - will comply mate, I don't really know who they were, I saw them on Helicorsa amidships and to the right, I had my line on the inside and I was going to keep it moving a little to the outside as I accelerated. I got punted and I am prepared to chalk it up to a racing incident of course. I thought I was the only one this happened to - but I saw a few others saying stuff so I thought I'd add my voice to support them in general because down at our level it feels very confusing sometimes, a million (fun) systems to get used to: eg I couldn't feel anything in the car when I took it out - then I turned off the traction and the abs and I could see what it was doing. The net prevents you from seeing people in the mirror so you need to tinker with the view a bit, then getting out of the pits safely and so on. I am going to try and see if I can turn on the tagging system so I can identify people to PM them if something happens in future. At my level I am trying to learn the skills needed and become competent before getting hoity-toity about it all. I just thought people should know what happened to me given that we are talking about it together. :)

Thanks a lot for replying, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Completely agree, that is what makes this so fun for me. I think those who put their time and effort into setting these things up deserve a lot of credit too. Being able to pay a miniscule fee to join a website and then attend races like this that are so well organised is fantastic.

We all have a combination of partners/kids/grandkids, careers and busy lives. I don't know if subscriptions fully fund the cost of the hosting of servers etc.. but I doubt it. I know infrastructure is not free and as for peoples time that certainly isn't. Maybe there is a forum that explains this already but is there a buy me a coffee or similar system for those here who dedicate their time to bring such a fun experience to the rest of us? There should be. :thumbsup:

Maybe there is a forum that explains this already but is there a buy me a coffee or similar system for those here who dedicate their time to bring such a fun experience to the rest of us? There should be. :thumbsup:
It was only my first time for organizing and already getting free coffee offered! Eat that! @Chris Down :p :roflmao:

@Fiberoptix No problem, Tim. I will PM you my account number!

NO,NO,NO! Just kidding! Reading your positive posts and you all having a good time (and myself) is reward enough for me.

Last edited:
Completely agree, that is what makes this so fun for me. I think those who put their time and effort into setting these things up deserve a lot of credit too. Being able to pay a miniscule fee to join a website and then attend races like this that are so well organised is fantastic.

We all have a combination of partners/kids/grandkids, careers and busy lives. I don't know if subscriptions fully fund the cost of the hosting of servers etc.. but I doubt it. I know infrastructure is not free and as for peoples time that certainly isn't. Maybe there is a forum that explains this already but is there a buy me a coffee or similar system for those here who dedicate their time to bring such a fun experience to the rest of us? There should be. :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: This is something I do feel for indeed. There are so many unsung heroes who make such experiences possible, ranging from the admins here and the software guys like the Ilya and the rest of the modders like the SOL 2 developer, the YouTubers and so many many more excellent people who have jobs and other priorities; giving what is essentially their stellar research work to us racers at a pittance, meanwhile the mainstream developers rake it in for which one has to be thankful to their arrogance for supplying us with incomplete systems and simulators that others should fix (not AC btw).

If you support Ilya on Patreon for a dollar a month that is 12 dollars a year. Here one pays the same. There are some excellent car mods for AC that run like ACC for 5 dollars. Such a wonderful and creative community and proud to be part of it.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 169 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 321 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 452 39.2%