AC Mazda MX-5 Cup @ Feldbergring - Wednesday 23 Jan 2018

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
I hope we can revisit this track with a convertible in the summer, so I can put this thing to use in my face!

cptVP5G.png

Track looks amazing and I can almost smell it

Fun track. In VR, it's quite blurry and shadows are really off. Not sure if there's a way to clean it up a bit visually. Odyssey+

Hey Robert! you also have an Odyssey+ :D nice to know. See you at the race

It's quite interesting to see you're playing in VR as well :)

Do any of you have some tips related to WMR performance with Assetto ? I'm using a Lenovo Explorer and I'm at the limit performance wise. And if you got some driving advice I'm listening, it's been quite hard to match the laptimes before VR.

I played a lot with the rift and then the odyssey, but now I'm on a 55" 4K TV. But lap times are similar.
3 or 4 months ago I raced GT3 @ Okayama with the Rift and did 1:29.4xx in qualy. In yesterday GT3 @ okayama I did 1:29,4xx in qualy with the 55" TV. So, the same really.

I think your laptimes should suffer more when going to VR if you are used to racing with a really exaggerated FOV in the monitor. Give it time, is my advice. In my case going from triple 27" screen -> Rift I was on pace in a few days, but everybody is a little different.

Performance wise, depends on what is your bottleneck. If you have trouble sustaining 90fps and your GPU is bellow ~90% usage, then install content manager and drop mirror resolution to the lowest possible, drop reflections to "static", drop World Detail and shadows to the lowest setting. If you GPU is >95% then lower or disable PP filters quality and lower the Anti Aliasing, or try lowering the SuperSampling in the Video options inside steamVR settings.

If you want to increase image quality at no cost in WMR headsets, you used to need to change a WMR config file in steam folder (rendertarget=2), but since the latest WMR and Steam update dating last week, you dont have to do anything anymore. Its automatically =2 at least in the odyssey.

It's quite interesting to see you're playing in VR as well :)

Do any of you have some tips related to WMR performance with Assetto ? I'm using a Lenovo Explorer and I'm at the limit performance wise. And if you got some driving advice I'm listening, it's been quite hard to match the laptimes before VR.

I've never raced in anything but VR so I wouldn't know. It's the main reason I got into simracing. Make sure you're binding a "reset view" to one of your wheel buttons as your seating in the car can be off slightly when the headset aligns itself or if you take it on/off. I generally look straight in the seating position I want to be in and then hit the "reset view" to line myself up inside the car. A nice trick if you're sitting too high/low is exaggerate your height in the seat and then hit "reset view" button. This will make you sit lower/higher when you relax back into your normal seating position.

As @Dan Costa points out, change the render target. Don't use post processing, it'll eat up FPS. Sadly VR tuning is not prescriptive and you really need to watch your FPS and see where the bottleneck is.

Sign me up please! :)

I wish I could m8 but you need to become a premium member first.

Eligibility:
You must be a PREMIUM member. You must also be using your FULL REAL NAME in any of the RD servers, on Teamspeak, in Assetto Corsa and on your forum profile (click here).

Join us: Not a premium member yet but interested to race with our group of friendly drivers? Click here for more information and learn how you can participate as well.

Thanks @RobertR1 @Dan Costa

After a couple of hours to test a few things it's better. It seems I'm GPU limited (Sapphire RX480, I've been using it for two years for 1080p but over-estimated it for 4K). Dropping some PP settings helped a lot, I don't have freezes like I did. For the laptimes, I'll see if I get the benefits of training and time :)

Thanks @RobertR1 @Dan Costa

After a couple of hours to test a few things it's better. It seems I'm GPU limited (Sapphire RX480, I've been using it for two years for 1080p but over-estimated it for 4K). Dropping some PP settings helped a lot, I don't have freezes like I did. For the laptimes, I'll see if I get the benefits of training and time :)
For some reason anisotropic filtering hits the gpu quite heavily in ac when going from 8x to 16x. No other game I ever came across shows this behavior so its really uncommon.
Maybe you already know about that :)

The best thing performance wise you can do is using content manager and disable shadows completely. You will still have ambient occlusion so cars aren't "flying" or anything.
Shadows hit the cpu and gpu both heavily.
Oh and put reflections to static!

The test isn't doing that much in comparison!

For fun, i cranked up every setting in CM graphically and the amount of shimmering on the track was ridiculous. I'm curious as to what caused it.

btw, going world detail from high to maximum makes a nice visual upgrade in VR.

For fun, i cranked up every setting in CM graphically and the amount of shimmering on the track was ridiculous. I'm curious as to what caused it.

btw, going world detail from high to maximum makes a nice visual upgrade in VR.

yeah you increased the sharpness or "mip LOD bias" setting. That one must be at default, or slightly above default if you want more crispness in VR.

yeah you increased the sharpness or "mip LOD bias" setting. That one must be at default, or slightly above default if you want more crispness in VR.

That's one I left alone actually. It was stuff like reflections, number of times they get updated, mirrors mainly. That's why I was surprised by the shimmering since AA/AF were left alone.

Can't remember how its supposed to look like. I have to plug in my odyssey sometime this weekend to give a test again.

Are you using the fantastic lights patch? if so, activate the stereo-mirrors with the car/driver in self mirror. Its nuts

Can't remember how its supposed to look like. I have to plug in my odyssey sometime this weekend to give a test again.

Are you using the fantastic lights patch? if so, activate the stereo-mirrors with the car/driver in self mirror. Its nuts

I had that mod but it was killing my FPS so I turned it off. I might try it again but it seems like there's constant updates do it when you need to stay on top of.

Do you remember if you had to have PP turned on? when i ran that mod without PP filter enabled, I would get a giant glow from brake lights onto the track. Turning on the default PP fixed that but killed FPS.

I'm installing it on the PC I am now, and will post what I activated. I remember I could run it at 90fps no problem, with only the settings I enabled.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 260 13.5%