Maybe Replacing my G25

I'm thinking of replacing my G25 as the H-shifter is kaput. Everything else still works, so I may hang on to it a bit longer, but I'm wondering if I should replace it with Thrustmaster wheel, and what the opinion is. Currently looking at

Thrustmaster VG TMX PRO Racing Wheel​

Thrustmaster T300 RS​

I don't want to spend too much, and hope I can get one on sale. Something equal to or better than G25 would be good enough. I can't afford the serious stuff. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hi Frank! I had a G25 since day 1 release until it broke some years later (the common optical encoder disc problem). At that point I wasn't doing much Simracing so I simply did not bother fixing it... until a year ago whe I had to replace the G25 so I could get back behind the simwheel.

I was on a budget as well so after doing some background check and trying wheels at stores (right before the lockdown) I chose the Thrustmaster T300RS with the 'normal' pedals... AND the DB9 TRJ12 pedal adapter.

I was happy with the G25 pedals back then so the adapter allowed me to use the Logitech pedals with the Thrustmaster wheel. It did the job pretty well for a few months until I got the T-LCM pedal set (worth the investment). I also have an adapter for the G25 shifter (from Leo Bodnar) but you won't be needing that.

Both the T-LCM and the TH8A shifter are on sale atm, at least on TM's european webshops. Where in Canada are you? I lived in Edmonton for two years. Anyhow, I hope this information helps and you can find a good price for the wheel you choose. :thumbsup: Cheers mate!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies guys. I do want to keep this thing going for now as a new wheel is outside my budget. I wish I could get it half price, but even that is a lot haha. I can't replace the shifter only because on the G25 the main buttons are on the shifter. Later models had the shifter as an add-on. The rest is ok, but it's getting more worn all the time. I've gotten more than my money out of it as it's around 15 years old. I wish money wasn't an issue :(

Upvote 0
What exactly is the problem with the shifter?
Maybe if you describe the fault someone here knows a fix/workaround?
As you race with us you are on PC, so using a separate shifter would be an option.

I own the TH8A and would not it recommend from a price standpoint.
Even with 3drap enhancements it does not feel right, though altogether the set cost around 200€.
(I´m probably biased, the rest of my equipment is Simucube and Heusinkveld.)

Still, from what I read eg SHH is more achievement per money.

Firstly, whats your fault with shifter and can it be fixed?

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
What exactly is the problem with the shifter?
Maybe if you describe the fault someone here knows a fix/workaround?
As you race with us you are on PC, so using a separate shifter would be an option.

I own the TH8A and would not it recommend from a price standpoint.
Even with 3drap enhancements it does not feel right, though altogether the set cost around 200€.
(I´m probably biased, the rest of my equipment is Simucube and Heusinkveld.)

Still, from what I read eg SHH is more achievement per money.

Firstly, whats your fault with shifter and can it be fixed?

MFG Carsten
It's a 6-speed H-pattern - but only shifts to 5th and 6th (positions 1, 3, 5 all shift to 5, and 2, 4, 6 all shift to 6.)

Upvote 0
It's a 6-speed H-pattern - but only shifts to 5th and 6th (positions 1, 3, 5 all shift to 5, and 2, 4, 6 all shift to 6.)

It sounds like sensors are stuck on 'sequential' but then on the higher gears (normally it's 3rd. and 4th.)... can you physically change to all gears? Have you tried opening it? It's well out of warranty after 15 years so worth checking... maybe is 'dust bunnies' inside or loose cables.

Check out these 2 links:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/g25-shifter-problems.110904/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It sounds like sensors are stuck on 'sequential' but then on the higher gears (normally it's 3rd. and 4th.)... can you physically change to all gears? Have you tried opening it? It's well out of warranty after 15 years so worth checking... maybe is 'dust bunnies' inside or loose cables.

Check out these 2 links:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/g25-shifter-problems.110904/

You might be able to use this.. I know its made for shifters using the adapter but I have used it on a shifter wired thru the wheel as its supposed to be.

Ive saved 4 or 5 shifters now with this thing...

Just after this happened, I opened it up, and used compressed air to clean it out, and all the bits outside too. It was still doing it. I'll check out these posts. Thanks for trying to help.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back