Max what he wants in F1

Asked what he would change about F1, Verstappen said:

"The tyres. At the moment they are very sensitive and quickly overheat, then you slide more and it is hard to follow others so it is hard to fight during a race.

"DRS helps to get closer, but in the end I do not want to depend on that.

"Also after a quick lap you have to slow down to be able to do another one because the tyres have to cool down and that takes way too long.

"It is the same during the race. You have to stay in a certain limit, otherwise the tyres overheat. I would like to drive a lot faster.

"We also should be less dependent on the engines. At the moment there is too much of a difference between the engines.

"In the last couple of years the championship was mostly won by the team with the best engine. Generally you should keep that difference between the 20 or 30 horsepower.

"Regarding the aerodynamics, it does not have to go as fast for me, as long as we can race each other better.

"Or when you touch someone and something breaks off, that it will not cost half a second per lap. Now when you drive a little too fast over a kerb, half the bottom of your car breaks off and that is not what you want.

"Finally, the difference between the teams are too big. You have the three top teams: Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull.

"But the difference from the third to the fourth team is almost a second, the is a big difference. I think the races would be much prettier if we could bring that all a bit close together."

It used to be building a race car was all about the engine. This complaining about engine dependence is nonsense to me.
In the past you could use as many engines you wanted. Now its all about reliability of each part. If you have the problem of a not so reliable engine: grid penalties. Look at McLaren Honda or the Renault engines..

In the past you could use as many engines you wanted. Now its all about reliability of each part. If you have the problem of a not so reliable engine: grid penalties. Look at McLaren Honda or the Renault engines..
And those engine limit rules for instituted for the sake of cost savings, but that never really materialized. Whatever money they thought would be saved is spent to build engines that will last to the distances the regulations require. As a result (along with all the Hybrid stuff they have to have) it takes an engineering team on the scale of the Apollo missions to design and build these power units.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 205 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 111 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 210 14.3%