Max Verstappen, the new king of overtaking?

Max Verstappen.jpg

I will start this off by saying that I myself don't identify as a true thoroughbred Max Verstappen fan; I am more of a Williams man personally. However, my adventures galavanting round Monza last weekend have very much opened my eyes to just what impact this young man is having on the world of Formula One.

Before witnessing the masses of Verstappen crazed fans and admirers in the flesh myself at the track - indeed for as many Raikkonen, Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso fans there were just as many (if not more) proudly brandishing the Dutch flag and Toro Rosso cap of their new protege - I was under the impression that amongst the wider F1 community that Verstappen was seen as just another, albeit slightly more promising, Red Bull rookie.

But the exact opposite could not be more accurate.

The truth is that the F1 fans, at least the ones who made the holy pilgrimage to the F1's 'Cathedral of Speed', have welcomed their new hero with open arms, and to be honest who can really blame them. For all that was said of Max's inexperience and age he has shown time and time again that he is far from afraid of tussling with the biggest and best names to have ever graced the wondrous world of Formula One.

So what is it that has made Verstappen F1's newest protege? Well the answer is simple. Aggression.

It didn't matter whether it was the first half an hour of First Practice or whether he was lining up Felipe Nasr for a superbly brave and ambitious overtake around the outside down into the first chicane. Even with just the naked eye it was clear to see that Verstappen, and in fairness to his team mate Carlos Sainz Jr. him as well to a lesser degree, was always trying to eek out that extra tenth, breaking just a few meters later, trying to get the power down just a few centimeters earlier. Every time his little Toro Rosso spaceship came hurtling down into turn one you couldn't help but realise that you were watching a very talented young man doing what he does best and what he will do for years and years to come.

And his supreme bravery paid dividends in the race, even if neither Toro Rosso was capable of really fighting for points. Despite knowing that he'd have a drive through penalty even before the five lights went out Verstappen fought fiercely through the field, putting the likes of Felipe Nasr and Jenson Button firmly in their place with excellent overtakes down into turn one and up the inside of the fearsome Parabolica respectively, receiving a hearty cheer amongst the Tifosi each time.

However, even these moves pale in comparison against his overtake on Felipe Nasr around the outside of Blanchimont in Spa-Francorchamps two weeks ago, the same move which when attempted by GP2 racer Daniel De Jong the day before ended with Verstappen's fellow Dutchman in hospital with a fractured vertebrae.

The key behind Verstappen's seemingly innate ability to pull off the most daring of overtakes is one firmly of opinion. You could quite easily point towards his obvious natural ability behind the wheel of a racing car, or to his unrelenting determination to make it big in Formula One, or even towards his practicing of said overtakes on the virtual track with his iRacing buddies at Team Redline.

One thing's for certain though. Having seen Max Verstappen nigh-on insanity in person, for me he is certainly a very valid candidate for 'The King of Overtaking'.

I like him.
First i wasnt too convinced he would make a decent season, but that has changed already.
He is really trying, he drives aggressively and just does the move.

I think in the future we'll see some more smooth and fantastic overtakes from him due to confidence, bravery and a bit of crazyness.
On the other hand there will be a few moments like Monaco this year were he just overshoots himself.

Somehow Max always seems to find grip where others can't find it. What surprised me the most is that although his overtakes are very aggressive he almost never loses the car. No blocking wheels no nothing. He makes it look like it is real easy. The only thing he has to improve on is his Qualifying pace. Sainz is the better qualifier of the two. In the race Max is a bit faster then Sainz and as said in the article he is a master in overtaking opponents. I really like to see him in a race winning car in the year 2017.

What I also find an excellent example of his talent is the first few meters in the Belgium GP. He passed a lot of cars before the end of Kemmel straight.

Soon we will not see more overtakes from him, since Max will be leading all the time... just wait until he sits in a winner Car.....I think we will see him next year in TR again...and in 2017 he will replace Kimi and will show Vettel who's the boss....

• Deleted member 161052

I would say yes, but IMO it's not easy to speak about this. :D

Max Verstappen. 17 years of age and already a legend. He drives really well. Better than Maldonado at least! :D

Also, did anyone pay attention to his moves at Monaco? The race may have ended in tears, and that he was at fault for the incident, but he still made some nice moves, and it is his rookie season anyway so no wonder if he falls into mistakes. He was clever to ride right on the gearbox of the lapping car ahead to overtake someone who was also being lapped.

Furthermore, P4 was amazing at Hungary. I felt bad for him, podium was right there 1 position ahead..

Those of you who have followed the F3 Euro Series closely (check this video out) already knew how big his talent was, but the Monaco race took away my last small doubts.

When a driver this young has the racing instinct and intelligence to position himself in way to sneak behind Vettel and overtake the other lapped drivers that were racing for position with him you are going to become a big one.

If you combine the above with the pure racing genes he got from both his mom and dad I really think Verstappen can also become the youngest world driver champion in history.

Can only hope that one of the top teams* will take him on board next season so we can finally have an historic first Dutch Grand Prix winner. Going to cry like a little baby when that happens ;)

*Sorry Rosberg, Massa, Kvyat or Button

I know they are gilles, I was just using Nigel Powers cue for the joke. I'm still morally obligated to go to Nederlands until I die or 2020 (TOPS). After what a friend sent me over Whatsapp regarding dutch girls on Tinder, even more!

Well if the girls are speechless, then good! I'm getting tired of hooking up with Brazilian girls. I kn ow they are famous 'cause obvious reasons. I need to broaden my boundaries!

Back to the matter. Reinforcing my POV, I think that Max can become a Senna overtaking wise and his attitude reminds me a lot of Piquet (not 2 cents given to the drivers and press, in more pretty words)

He's had one season and I'll admit he's made some very good moves. However, he needs to continue to prove himself. Great if you can overtake on your rookie season but can you do it in season 2 and season 3. I'm sure Max will become a legend but he's got a lot of talented drivers that will push him to the limit in F1 (Like Vandoorne and Sirotkin and Rowland (Rowland is also great at overtaking)

I don't really get why the two moves on Nasr is being looked at as so great. Fair enough, outside of Blanchimont, but with tarmac runoff, and fresh soft tyres, vs used hards.
Same at Monza, outside into T1 isn't the first time it's worked, and again softs vs hards.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 387 39.8%