Max Verstappen a shock appointment for Toro Rosso next year

Max Verstappen.jpg

Whilst some rumours started circulating once young Max Verstappen was announced with the Red Bull young driver programme a few weeks ago, last night the motorsport world was left stunned as it was announced he would step up to join the Scuderia Toro Rosso team in F1 next year, replacing Jean Eric Vergne.

Verstappen will steal the record for the youngest ever F1 driver at 17 years old next year, with some questioning the wisdom of promoting someone so young into the high pressured environment of F1 at such a young age. This theory carries some weight once you consider his age and the fact next year will only be his second year in car racing.

Whilst some may see it that way, his results so far in racing have shown this teenager has tremendous potential with a racing resume many young driver would envy. He moved into car racing this year as the reigning KZ1 World Champion in Karting before blazing an impressive trail in the highly competitive FIA European F3 Championship, so far taking 8 wins and 13 podiums from 27 races alongside a Masters of F3 victory at Zandvoort also.

Verstappen has stated “First of all, I would like to thank Dr. Helmut Marko and Red Bull for all their trust and giving me the chance to make my Formula debut in 2015 with Scuderia Toro Rosso. Ever since I was seven years old, Formula 1 has been my career goal, so this opportunity is truly a dream come true."

For the likes of Jean Eric Vergne, Antonio Felix Da Costa and Carlos Sainz Jr, yesterday's announcement severely hampered their chances of competing in F1 next year as Vergne will be forced to find a race seat outside the Red Bull stable for the first time in a significant portion of time. I personally hope he remains in F1 next year as he has shown himself to belong in F1 during his 3 years with Toro Rosso.

For Da Costa he now appears perilously close to becoming the almost forgotten man of the Red Bull young driver scheme as he races impressively for BMW in the German DTM Championship, although you would be a fool to completely write him off with Paul Di Resta showing a DTM driver can perform well in F1. Finally for Sainz he's done everything he needed to so far this year as he currently leads the Formula Renault 3.5 series, it simply appears he's been passed over this time for Verstappen.

Next year many will be eagerly watching how Verstappen performs in F1, although I hope Vergne, Da Costa and Sainz Jr can all join him on the F1 grid next year. What's your thoughts on the appointment of Max Verstappen at Scuderia Toro Rosso next year.

Image: Red Bull Media House

I am biased as can be as a fellow countryman but I am more and more getting the feeling that we finally have a potential GP winning driver.

Bring back Zandvoort (right :)) on the racing calendar and motorsport in this country is finally getting somewhere.

Seems like a Red Bull publicity stunt. Why the rush to get him into F1? Surely a season or two in GP3/GP2 would not have hurt. What is the point in these series if they can just be bypassed. Also can a 16/17 year old really hack the mental demands of F1?

Be interesting to find out if he can, also if he does then watch the teen brigade flood gates open. Before you know it Pampers nappies will be sponsoring a team!

He isn't exactly a regular teen when you look at his results of the last years. He has literally won everything he ever raced in.

Plus the he enters F1 without the help of a sugar daddy which indicates its a handpicked choice based on talent, not a huge wallet.

Makes me wonder if you can create a genetically perfect race driver. As his father Joss is an ex F1 pilot and his mother a multiple Belgian race series winner as well. Then you must have the genetic structure to go fast :)

Time to give Danica Patrick a call me thinks.

Makes me wonder if you can create a genetically perfect race driver. As his father Joss is an ex F1 pilot and his mother a multiple Belgian race series winner as well. Then you must have the genetic structure to go fast :)

At least this theory can't be true for sim racing, because when I was born in 1980 my mom and dad din't even know what a mobile phone is. :laugh:

But seriously I agree this could have a big impact on his mental attitude, because his mom and dad showed him every day how race drivers think and act.

Am I the only one that feels for Sainz Jr? He's been absolutely outstanding this season in WSR, I think Verstappen could have gone there next year and proven his worth before making that big step.

Also, is it just me or does nobody ever get promoted from GP2 anymore? The last 5/6 drivers have all came from WSR, GP3 and now Euro F3... crazy times.

I don't think you put a 17 year old in a f1 car just for publicity.
I also think that the people who know him more closely can better judge than me if he is capable enough. I have high hopes, but we will see next year!

You all know his daddy... Jos Verstappen...

Sophie Kumpen: His mammy was a great at karting. I saw her drive in the european championship with names like Jenson Button, Giancarlo Fisichella, Jarno Trulli, Jan Magnussen,... :geek:

Anthony Kumpen: His uncle is one of the Audi pro drivers in multiple endurance serries. Next weekend in the 24h Zolder. ;)

And...

Paul Kumpen: His grandfather drove rally-cross with my daddy. :p

Am I the only one that feels for Sainz Jr? He's been absolutely outstanding this season in WSR, I think Verstappen could have gone there next year and proven his worth before making that big step.

Also, is it just me or does nobody ever get promoted from GP2 anymore? The last 5/6 drivers have all came from WSR, GP3 and now Euro F3... crazy times.
The problem is, that now a lot of drivers stay for several years in GP2 and most F1 teams don't want a guy, that takes 4 years to win GP2. From 2005 to 2011 every driver except Pantano (too old) graduated to F1 and only Timo Glock and Romain Grosjean took 2 seasons to win it. All other graduates won GP2 in their first season. Valsecchi in 2012 took had 5 years in GP2 and only 3 wins until his championship season: Leimer took 4 years and only had 2 wins before his championship season.

When I am a teamboss in F1 I want someone who comes in and gets the job done like a Kevin Magnussen, who took 2 years in FR35 or a Nico Hülkernberg, who pretty much won every junior seires he entered in the first year. If you are a midfield runner in GP2 for 4 season and then win it in the 5th it feels more like all quality drivers have left and now you are the best, who is still there.

I think it is a shame, that is the case now with GP2, but I can totally understand why nobody gave Leimer or Valsecci a drive and prefered GP3 or FR35 drivers.
Good current example Johnny Cecotto in GP2 since the end of 2009 here his championship finishes
2009: 30th
2010: 23rd
2011: 24th
2012: 9th
2013: 16th
2014: 4ht (currently)

You could say he improved, but you could say all talented drivers in front left and there is no good competition left :(

You all know his daddy... Jos Verstappen...

Sophie Kumpen: His mammy was a great at karting. I saw her drive in the european championship with names like Jenson Button, Giancarlo Fisichella, Jarno Trulli, Jan Magnussen,... :geek:

Anthony Kumpen: His uncle is one of the Audi pro drivers in multiple endurance serries. Next weekend in the 24h Zolder. ;)

And...

Paul Kumpen: His grandfather drove rally-cross with my daddy. :p

forgot to mention his father almost ran his mother over with his car :roflmao: so next to karting ,his mum can run fast too;)

i like Max ,,but i hope his father doesnt pop on the television all the time
or at least apologizes in public before doing so
instead of sneaking behind Max back to tv land

I'm also a bit biased with my opinion like Bram. But following him a bit I think he definitely has the talent to race in F1. If it is to soon for him..... well lets wait until next year this time. And why him and not Sainz jr. I think you have to go to Helmut Marko for that answer. I have no clue. I think Sainz also belongs in F1. I hope for him he gets signed really soon. I can think of a couple of drivers in F1 who are beyond the expiration date

Some folks are naturally gifted.
Go seek out videos of Kalle Rovanpera driving a cut-down rally car at age eight and a full-blown one at eleven..
That said, had Max...even at sixteen been exposed ( even in the simulator) or tested a current F1 car for at least a year, I'd have no problem with it.
I just feel it's too much to learn, too soon.
He'll be in an F1 car in nine races time. That's just seems crazy.
Does he have the experience to test a car and give useful feedback for design changes?
Does he have the maturity and experience to handle crisis like brake failure as happens quite often at very fast 'power' circuits?
Has he ever experienced any major difficulty inside the cockpit, which he's had to power through?
These are the things 'seasoned' drivers learn over a period of time.
My fear is that with the extreme pressure to bring good results (as STR always demands), dangerous lapses in judgement... while trying to impress could result.
He may be great in his current series but F1 with it's move towards 'green' technology has introduced a lot more complexity than just driving the car fast.
Along with the bigger workload and monitoring ERS harvesting/recovery etc... things like DRS add an additional layer he's not had to deal with prior.
They're guys who've spent years driving F1 cars, who're still fighting to come to grips with the added workload.
He might prove me wrong...and I sincerely hope he does... for his sake as well as all of the other drivers on track.

Last edited:
He obviously has the talent, but when he makes comments about the sport being safe it brings questions. Will he take unnecessary risks because he thinks the drivers are safe nowadays? It seems like a immature stance and a dangerous one.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 304 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 203 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 154 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 270 13.6%